Running FH on 2 computers

Fiona Hall

Hi

I had a look on FHUG but  I could not find the answer to this (it may be there but I didn't see it)

I have installed FH on my PC and my laptop as we are allowed to do.

However, my queries etc are different as the Program data file is obviously different on each computer. The Projects themselves are 'in the cloud' so accessible from both computers

Am I allowed just to copy files from the PC  Program Data file to the laptop?

Fiona HAll

Mike Tate

Hi Fiona,

Yes you can, but not all customisations are in the C:\ProgramData folder as some are in the Windows Registry, and you need to be careful what you copy, especially if you have customised both PC and laptop. For example, the standard Diagram customisations are held in the Windows Registry.

I suggest you use the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings Plugin.

Backup on PC to a folder 'in the cloud' and Restore from the same folder on the laptop.

The Plugin ensures the latest settings are applied as it warns if later customisations already exist, and it can be used in either direction.

See the FHUG Knowledge Base ~ Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:family_historian_migration_guide

But only take note of the steps involving the Plugin.

Regards, Mike Tate