Rootsmagic to FH: sources/templates

michael fike

I am contemplating a move from RM as my primary tool to FH.  I see a lot that I like.  But no matter how good a program is ... migration is never perfect ... or good.

When I look a the sources that come in, they all seem to be "dumb" or free-form.  All template fields seem to be gone.  And ... there are no source templates.

I assume this is the norm as template formatting is most likely unique from program to program.  But I want to verify.

Lastly, any help from people who have made the jump?  How did you make the migration?  What should I look out for?

Any insight I might need to know will be appreciated.

Thanks all,
michael

Mike Tate

Michael, your analysis is perfectly correct.

There are regular discussions and advice on migrating from RM to FH in the FHUG Forum and Knowledge Base.

They are continuously updated as both products evolve.

I suggest you join https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/ where the ‘Importing and Exporting’ forum is a good starting point.

In the FHUG KB see https://fhug.org.uk/kb/topic/importing-and-exporting/importing/ especially the ‘Importing to Family Historian’ section.

Mike Tate

I am contemplating a move from RM as my primary tool to FH.  I see a lot that I like.  But no matter how good a program is ... migration is never perfect ... or good.

When I look a the sources that come in, they all seem to be "dumb" or free-form.  All template fields seem to be gone.  And ... there are no source templates.

I assume this is the norm as template formatting is most likely unique from program to program.  But I want to verify.

Lastly, any help from people who have made the jump?  How did you make the migration?  What should I look out for?

Any insight I might need to know will be appreciated.

Thanks all,
michael

ewade

I was a RM user for many years but switched to FH last August.  I still prefer RM's way of matching your relatives to outside sources such as Ancestry and FamilySearch.
Don't be surprised if your Gedcom from RM does not bring over the multimedia files to FH correctly.  I really like FH.

Eldon

On Jan 20, 2021 at 4:51 PM, michael fike <postalcae@...> wrote:

I am contemplating a move from RM as my primary tool to FH.  I see a lot that I like.  But no matter how good a program is ... migration is never perfect ... or good.

When I look a the sources that come in, they all seem to be "dumb" or free-form.  All template fields seem to be gone.  And ... there are no source templates.

I assume this is the norm as template formatting is most likely unique from program to program.  But I want to verify.

Lastly, any help from people who have made the jump?  How did you make the migration?  What should I look out for?

Any insight I might need to know will be appreciated.

Thanks all,
michael

michael fike

I have joined the group.  A change like this is not quick step.  I still plan to have RM as my main app for several several months yet until I know good handle on FH.

I hope there will be an update to the FH book to V7 as looking at older versions it should be a good resource.

Thanks for the help.  I will delve into the fhug site.

michael

Leslie P

What I'm finding really helpful in analyzing the different ways things show up between RM and FH is to load up the GEDCOM file in my text editor and look at EXACTLY what RM is "saying" and exactly what FH is "reading". It helps a LOT in understanding, and in getting ideas of what I may want to tweak a bit in RM so that it goes over to FH differently.

Sources will always be "freeform" on export/import. What we call Freeform in RM is called, I think "generic" in FH. All of mine still are messed up freeform from when I had beautifully wonderfully complex templated sources in TMG and then converted to RM. Maybe someday I'll fix it all.

Looking at the GEDCOM for your sources will REALLY help a lot in understanding how the pieces fit together.