Revised Web Search template for FamilySearch

Tom H

While coursing through the list of sites in the Search the Internet dialog to see if the internal browser tripped up, I found that the current template for accessing the FamilySearch website search page is no longer compatible. The following template works:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?q.anyDate.from=<<<y1>>>&q.givenName=<<<givn>>>&q.surname=<<<last>>>
I first made a copy of Standard.fhi found in C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Web Search and then created a Bookmark in Search the Internet dialog to test. Once proven, I edited Standard.fhi with NotePad++ to update the FamilySearch template.

fh Help and the fhug Knowledge Base lack guidance on Web Search templates. The best resource I found was this discussion on fhug: Web search templates and I had to search further on the location of the .fhi file.

Question: I see in the Search the Internet dialog window there is a More >> Check for Search Tool Updates button. Where does one submit suggested updates?

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

The Web Search templates provided with FH are maintained by Calico Pie, so you should report any issues/suggest update by raising a support ticket: Family Historian Support Ticket System (calico-pie.com)

The Knowledge Base is maintained by members of FHUG. If you would like to write an article on Web Search templates, you can request an editor’s account: Request an Editor’s Account – Family Historian User Group (fhug.org.uk). Alternatively, suggest an article is needed in the relevant forum on FHUG (Maintaining the KnowledgeBase). However, there is no guarantee that somebody else will volunteer to create the article you would like to see.

[...]

_._,_._,_

Tom H

Thanks. I will follow up via the Support Ticket.

I've since realised that FamilySearch does allow for a range of years so I've revised the template to include the upper year of the range.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&q.anyDate.from=<<<y1>>>&q.anyDate.to=<<<y2>>>&q.givenName=<<<givn>>>&q.surname=<<<last>>>
And I've learned that it is the inclusion of the corresponding variable in the template that activates a data entry field in Search Details.

Tom H

Support Ticket submitted for the FamilySearch update.

Another submitted to enhance the Ancestry (Canada) template:

[Item50]
Name=Ancestry.ca Canada Focus (2021-12-11)
Desc=Filtered search on name and date range focussed on Ancestry's Canadian collections
Addr=http://www.ancestry.ca/
Template=https://www.ancestry.ca/search/?name=<<<givn>>>_<<<last>>>&birth=<<<y1>>>&death=<<<y2>>>&location=3243&priority=canada