Revert to Snapshot

Sue Paul

Good Morning

Yesterday, Mike and others offered some valuable advice about how to recover after a memory failure on my laptop. Unfortunately, I am having problems following this advice.

Mike said I could revert to snapshot using the following: File > Backup/Restore > Revert to Snapshot. When I go to File > Backup/Restore there is no Revert to Snapshot option. For my one-name study project, the options are
  • Small backup
  • Medium backup [greyed out]
  • Full backup [greyed out]
  • Restore Backup
  • Backup Options
For my other two projects all options are available [not greyed out] but still no Revert to Snapshot.

I searched the Internet and found that I could, alternatively, Revert to Snapshot from the Snapshot Manager accessed from the Project Window.

More worrying, if I go to the Project Window my one-name study project does not appear. Only my other two projects and the sample Project are visible. My one-name study project is stored in My Documents\Family Historian Projects. I am as certain as I can be that it was there before I switched to my new laptop but cannot say with any certainty that it has been there since the move.

If I go to More Tasks in the Project Window, I can see no Snapshot Manager option. I can find nothing about Snapshots in the printed manual I have for version 5. I am running version 6. Are Snapshots only available in version 7?

I only installed Family Historian on my new laptop a few weeks ago and made no changes to the installation setting for backups. I have checked and Autosave is set to every five minutes. I can see nothing about Snapshots. The File Load/Save settings in Preferences for all my projects [including the Sample project] are the same.

I have found the Snapshot files on disk but there is only one for my one-name study project. It is dated 1 Jan 2021. The same Snapshot is the only one I have on my backed up data [on an external drive] from before and after my swap to my new laptop. Snapshots appear to have been taken when I have used my other projects.

I am at a loss at how to proceed.

  1. Without being able to access Snapshot Manager, I cannot see how I can revert to the one Snapshot I have even if that is the correct thing to do.
  2. Why has my one-name study project disappeared from the Project Window?
Kind regards,

Sue

Mike Tate

Oh dear! It seems you have more corruption than you first thought.

1.

Assuming you are running the latest free upgrade FH v6.2.7 then Snapshots are an integral feature of Projects.

( When you installed FH v6 on your new laptop did you update to that latest free version? )

However, Snapshots are only created when you open a Project and no more than once per day.

It is very strange that none of your Projects have any Snapshot commands.

2.

Your one-name study is no longer being recognised as a Project, but only as a standalone GEDCOM.

The top line of the main FH window says - Family Historian Gedcom - instead of - Family Historian Project – and it is not listed in the Projects Window.

That explains the greyed-out Backup commands that are only available for Projects.

Without a detailed listing of the folders and files inside My Documents\Family Historian Projects\ for your one-name study it is difficult to advise what needs fixing.

Unfortunately, it is tedious to attach screenshots to these Emails because we must wait for an administrator to review them before they are passed on.

However, you are certain that your GEDCOM data is compromised so fixing the files to restore it as a Project is pointless.

Without Snapshots the only option is to use your most recent Backup. Remind me, is that a GEDCOM Only or a Full Backup?

If GEDCOM Only then you will need to create an empty Project into which to restore the GEDCOM backup.

Then you must copy or move all the Media from the broken ‘Project’ Media folder to the new Project Media folder.

Do you know where that Media folder exists inside the Project folder structure?

Mike Tate

Sue Paul

Mike

Thanks. Everything you say makes sense even if unwelcome.

I thought I had installed the latest version of version 6 when I set up my new laptop but it is saying v6.0 on start up so it looks like I was wrong. Setting up a new laptop is so much easier these days that I have been lulled into a false sense of security and not checked out everything carefully enough.

We are going away tomorrow for a short break so I think I will leave this problem until we return as set aside a day to work through my options carefully. Unfortunately, I only take a Gedcom only backup regularly and have learned my lesson. But I do have a large number of them over a long period to choose from.

I do understand the media file structure having learned my lesson having screwed that up in the past.

Thanks again for all your help with this. I will try not to bother you again.

Kind regards,

Sue

On Wed, 19 May 2021 at 10:14, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

[...]

David Dewick

Sue

I’m sure that with Mike’s help you will recover your projects. May I suggest that you invest in a USB connected external disk drive, and when everything is back to normal you regularly make a full backup to that, disconnecting it when not otherwise in use. You could also use it to take a copy of all your research now, as is, so that you have a known point to restart from if all goes wrong.

David

On 19 May 2021, at 11:38, Sue Paul <suecarolpaul@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I already backup my data to such a device, I just have not done a regular full backup of my Family Historian project. Lesson learned!

Kind regards,

Sue

On Wed, 19 May 2021 at 12:56, David Dewick <david.dewick@...> wrote:
[...]

I decided not to wait and have just tried to set up a new project from the Gedcom file I created on Sunday and, unbelievably, it has worked perfectly. All my Media records and source citations have been restored.

I do understand how lucky I have been. I always preach about regular data backups but have been guilty of failing to fully understand what I really needed to backup.

I am extremely grateful for the help and support you have given and hope that my experience will be a warning to others.

[...]

Phew Sue!

While we are talking about backups, do you customise any of your Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Fact Sets, Property Box tabs, Records Window columns, Plugins, etc, etc?

If so then use the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings plugin to safeguard all those custom settings.

Mike

Sue Paul

Mike

Yes, I was lucky but wanted you to know what worked as you are always so helpful and all information helps you give advice.

The only thing I customise is the look of the Focus and Property windows and I often change those to fit what I am doing at the time. That is why I thought I was safe just doing the Gedcom backup. I now know that is not safe.

Kind regards.

Sue