Restore issues

jerebinho@...

Hi,
I've changed the computer and I'm trying to restore the project. I've made a full backup and when attempting to restore through the path File-Backup/Restore/Restore Backup, FH says "Unrecognized backup file format or type". I'm using FH 7. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks
Miha

BillH

Is the file you are trying to restore from a .zip file with a name like this?

FH Project Backup (full) - <project name> - <date stamp time stamp>.zip

Bill

jerebinho@...

Yes, the folder has this type of name.

BillH

Does the file look ok if you open it in File Explorer? 

I don't think I have any other ideas  I'm sure some of the experts on the group will respond to you tomorrow as well.

Bill

Mike Tate

Hi Miha,

Presumably, you are using FH v7 on both the old PC and the new PC.

Does everything else work as expected on the new PC?

i.e. Is the Family Historian Sample Project all OK?

How did you create that Full Backup on the old PC?

Did you use the File > Backup/Restore > Full Backup command?

On the old PC does File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup work successfully on that zip file?

It should create a copy of your Project with a suffix (2) on the name.

How did you copy that zip file from the old PC to the new PC?

BTW: Have you customised any Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Fact Sets, Plugins, Records Window Columns, etc, etc?

If so then you need to use the ‘Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings’ plugin to migrate those settings.

See FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide’:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-copy-and-migration-guide/

Mike Tate

jerebinho@...

Hi Mike,

yes, I'm using FH7 on both computers.
I've been using the new computer for only 2 days, but I believe everything works OK.
Sample project works OK.
Yes, I have used File > Backup/Restore > Full Backup command to create the backup.
Restore function works fine on the old computer (tested with the same folder).
File was copied to an external disk and then to the new computer.

I did modify one plugin (translations). Thanks for the advice, but first I have to solve the issue with the project itself.

Restored folder (not file!) is a zip type, but when I open the folder it contains another folder named "project name". This folder then contains a folder "project name.fh_data", another folder named "Public" and the third folder named "project name" where it says it is a type Family Historian Project File.

Thanks for the help

jerebinho@...

File looks the same both on the old as well as the new computer. And restore functions OK on the old computer.

Mike Tate

Well, I’m stumped.

From your description, the Backup zip file contains exactly the correct Project folders and files.

So I cannot explain why the FH File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup command does not like that zip folder on the new PC.

What you can do is perform the restore using File Explorer.

Navigate to the Compressed (Zipped) Folder and right-click it and choose Extract All…

It will ask you to choose a folder to extract into.

Browse to your ‘Family Historian Projects’ folder (assuming you have the default setup) and click Extract.

Your Project should now appear in the FH File > Project Window.

Mike Tate

One further thing you can try.

Use FH File n> Backup/Restore > Full Backup on the Family Historian Sample Project on the new PC.

Then try and restore that zip folder. Does that work or fail?

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Tate
Sent: 22 December 2021 18:59
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Restore issues

Well, I’m stumped.

From your description, the Backup zip file contains exactly the correct Project folders and files.

So I cannot explain why the FH File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup command does not like that zip folder on the new PC.

Navigate to the Compressed (Zipped) Folder and right-click it and choose Extract All…

Browse to your ‘Family Historian Projects’ folder (assuming you have the default setup) and click Extract.

Neil Grantham

I have sometimes seen files copied to an external drive become 'read only'

It might be worth copying the zip file to a folder on the new devices hard drive, such as 'Downloads' and then try the restore from there.

Best Wishes

Neil.

------ Original Message ------
Sent: Wednesday, 22 Dec, 2021 At 18:59

Well, I’m stumped.

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.

jerebinho@...

Strangest thing...
I could not restore with a restore folder, which was transferred to the new computer via external hard disk and I also could not restore if I picked the folder directly on the external disk. I even tried to reinstall FH.
I tried to copy the same folder from the old computer to USB key and restore directly from the USB key. And it worked! I don't have an idea why this makes any difference, but it somehow does.

Mike Tate

I’m glad you found a way to make it work.

I suspect it may be a file permissions issue, but it is somewhat odd.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of jerebinho@...
Sent: 22 December 2021 20:57

Strangest thing...
I could not restore with a restore folder, which was transferred to the new computer via external hard disk and I also could not restore if I picked the folder directly on the external disk. I even tried to reinstall FH.
I tried to copy the same folder from the old computer to USB key and restore directly from the USB key. And it worked! I don't have an idea why this makes any difference, but it somehow does.

jerebinho@...

Thanks for all the support.

jerebinho@...

No end to restore issues...
I found that the program now does not display all media files (pictures, PDFs, etc.). They are all transferred since I see them in the media folder, but the program itself does not display them (seen as a crossed out rectangle). This is really frustrating. I expected I will be able to continue my work on the new computer, but now it seems I will need more time to "normalize" FH than for all other things on the new computer combined.
I really hope this is solvable.

David Ewing

I had this problem with FH7 last weekend when I repathed my media files.  There is a cache folder under your project folder, and in it is a file named ThumbCache.dat that apparently stores the thumbnail images.  I renamed the file something like ThumbCache.dat2 and restarted FH.  It immediately began to rebuild and my thumbnails returned.   Depending on how many attachments you have it may take a while (my .dat file is about 470Mb and took about 20 minutes to completely rebuild).

If it doesn't rebuild, you can always rename the file back to ThumbCache.dat and you're no worse off than when you started.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> on behalf of jerebinho@... <jerebinho@...>
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2021 11:38 AM
To: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io>

I found that the program now does not display all media files (pictures, PDFs, etc.). They are all transferred since I see them in the media folder, but the program itself does not display them (seen as a crossed out rectangle). This is really frustrating. I expected I will be able to continue my work on the new computer, but now it seems I will need more time to "normalize" FH than for all other things on the new computer combined.

Lorna Craig

If you transferred the entire project folder to the new computer and if the media files are indeed present in the Media folder of the project they should display correctly in FH.  

If you use Tools > External File Links a dialog box will open showing the file path(s) where FH is expecting to find the media files.  It should start with Project Data Folder, followed by Media, followed by the list of file names (or possibly sub folders within the Media folder with a list of file names in each sub folder, depending on how how arrange your media).   What does it show?

On 23/12/2021 18:38, jerebinho@... wrote:

Mike Tate

If you check the Media records in the Records Window, what style does the File: link box use?

Is it Media\filename.jpg or is it a full file path starting with the drive letter and through all the intermediate folders down to the Media folder and filename?

If the latter, then the file path probably still refers to your old PC and is wrong for the new PC.

So, use the Tools > External File Links… command and its Auto Repair Links button.

That should convert the absolute long file path to the short relative Media\filename.jpg style.

The original problem may be caused by the method you use to add Media files.

In future, check that after adding Media they use the short Media\filename.jpg style.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of jerebinho@...
Sent: 23 December 2021 18:38

Mike Tate

David, you can safely delete the ThumbCache.dat file as it will get rebuilt when required.

In fact, it is advisable to occasionally delete that file to purge any obsolete thumbnail images.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of David Ewing
Sent: 23 December 2021 19:24

I had this problem with FH7 last weekend when I repathed my media files.  There is a cache folder under your project folder, and in it is a file named ThumbCache.dat that apparently stores the thumbnail images.  I renamed the file something like ThumbCache.dat2 and restarted FH.  It immediately began to rebuild and my thumbnails returned.   Depending on how many attachments you have it may take a while (my .dat file is about 470Mb and took about 20 minutes to completely rebuild).

If it doesn't rebuild, you can always rename the file back to ThumbCache.dat and you're no worse off than when you started.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> on behalf of jerebinho@... <jerebinho@...>

David Ewing

Good to know - thank you Mike!

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> on behalf of Mike Tate <post@...>
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2021 1:07 PM

David, you can safely delete the ThumbCache.dat file as it will get rebuilt when required.

In fact, it is advisable to occasionally delete that file to purge any obsolete thumbnail images.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of David Ewing
Sent: 23 December 2021 19:24

jerebinho@...

I've solved it so I restored the project again from the same folder. First restore changed all č, š, ž letters in the media file names to "(?)" (but only in FH, restore folder kept correct letters). Second restore attempt transferred also č, š, ž and now all media files are visible.
I wish restore on a second/new computer would be an actual "plug & play", but it is not.
I have learned the following:
a.) pray your old computer will not die before you transfer anything to your new computer
b.) keep restore folder on the computer, external drive and USB key (and maybe cloud)
c.) export also only GEDCOM (you never know)
d.) copy only media files to a separate backup folder (you never know)
e.) pray your old computer will not die before you transfer anything to your new computer

Thanks again for all the support to all of you.