Researching and documenting apparent change of Family Surname

colin.brook@...

Hello, although I've used Family Historian for a number of years now I haven't previously joined this support group. I would appreciate help with a current problem I have.

I'm particularly interested in help with Olive BROWN; in the 1911 Census she is shown to be living with her parents Thomas and Elizabeth BROWN and her brother Percy T(om) BROWN at 23 Cromwell Lane, Maldon. She subsequently married Ernest Wilberforce TUNMER (also of Maldon) on Christmas Day 1913.
In the 1911 Census the whole BROWN family were shown to have been born in the Chatham, Rochester, Maidstone area of Kent. In the 1901 Census there is however no sign of the BROWN family in either Maldon, Essex or Maidstone, Kent. There is however an otherwise identical family with the surname BROWNING living at 103 Rochester Avenue, Rochester and Chatham with 'correct' ages and birthplaces. So, my big current challenge is to find some record of the apparent migration and renaming of this BROWNING family in Maidstone in 1901 to become the BROWN family of Maldon by 1911. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Assuming that I'm correct in thinking these two families are one and the same what is the best way of handling this Surname change in Family Historian?

Looking forward to any advice about solving and documenting this mystery.

Colin

Mike Tate

Welcome Colin,

Strictly speaking this a Family Historian product forum run by Calico Pie so research questions are a little off beam.

The FHUG website Forums include one dedicated to such research questions where other users are willing to help.

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/

However, I suggest you pursue your research further. The family should appear together in the 1891 Census.

You should also find Birth and Marriage records for everyone in the family.

Together those records will clarify the family surname.

I suspect the 1901 Census entry is just a mistake by the enumerator who misheard the surname.

If so there is no name change and your Source record for the 1901 Census will just need a Note to identify the mistake and your reasons why.

Mike Tate

[...]

John Hanson

Colin

Unfortunately not what this list is really for as it is for issues with the software or the way it works

However having looked at the family on the 1911 and checked the birth registrations both in FreeBMD and the GRO’s own indexes both Olive and Percy were registered as BROWNING with a mothers maiden name of APPS. Why people changed their surnames is a mystery and providing that it was not with the intention of de-frauding someone there is nothing wrong

You may never find the solution but I would suggest that getting the birth certificate of either Olive or Percy might be a good start. Order a PDF copy via the GRO website and get one for £7 rather than the usual £11

[...]

Lorna Craig

Hi Colin,

I think you already have enough evidence that they are the same family.  In fact the evidence is more compelling if you go back to the 1891 census.  In 1891 the birthplaces were recorded as:

Thomas - Kingsdown, Kent

Elizabeth - Marden, Kent

Olive M - Maidstone, Kent

Tom (Percy Tom) - Maidstone, Kent.

These exactly match the birthplaces recorded for those four in 1911.  (You said that the 1911 census shows they were all born in Chatham, Rochester but looking at the image I see that is not the case.  I'm not sure where you saw Chatham mentioned as a birthplace.)   So it is only the birthplaces in the 1901 census which are slightly out of line for Thomas and Olive.

To try to pin down the date of the move and/or change of surname you could follow up some of their other children (Evelyn M, Gertrude L, William A and Percy Tom) to see whether, and when, they married and what surname they used when they married.

As for why they changed their name it might be impossible to discover.  (Unless perhaps one of them was involved in some socially undesirable or criminal activity which they wanted to leave behind?)

If you are satisfied that the name change was permanent you could create a custom fact for 'Name change' for each individual you believe used the new name, with a date of 'between 1901 and 1911' and add a note to the fact explaining your evidence.  The new name can be recorded as an alternative name by clicking the 'more...' button next to the primary name in the Property box.

Lorna

On 19/02/2021 13:04, colin.brook@... wrote:
[...]

_.

Jenny Cochrane

I would approach this by gathering as many separate pieces of evidence as you can from BMD / census / electoral role etc to figure out the chain of events

I think I have the right person who was christened Olive Mabel Grace BROWNING on 26 Aug 1888 in Maidstone. The family were also BROWNING in the 1891 census at 5 Waterloo Rd, Maidstone. Her sisters Evelyn and Gertrude were also Browning.

So... at some point between 1901 and 1911 the family changed county and name as Olive was married as Brown. Why - who knows, but it peaks my curiosity. Did they want to disappear and hence take on the anonymous Brown name? Did people assume their name was Brown and they got tired of correcting? Was the original name Brown - How was Thomas baptised and married? It was clearly not just a slip of the pen on the 1911 census.

Is there anybody still alive that could shed light?

There are several ways you could treat the name in FH depending on what you want to see in the property box.

- You could leave as Browning and add Brown in the "more +" option
- or - do the same but with Brown as the main name
- Input the name as Brown(ing)
- Input the name as "Brown or Browning"

Hope this helps.

Jenny

On Friday, 19 February 2021, 14:08:44 GMT, colin.brook@... <colin.brook@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello again; thanks for your replies so far. I had realised that the researching side of the topic was really outside the scope of this newsgroup - my primary purpose here was to find out about recording with FH7. I have good input thanks and thanks too for those who suggested that I had already amassed enough info to be very sure that the Browning Family of 1901 in Maidstone became the Brown Family of 1911 in Maldon. Until one of my famiy proves otherwise I'm going ahead on that basis. Thanks again. Colin

stephen.challis@...

Thanks for posting this, John. How can I get a birth certificate for £7? I’ve only ever seen them for £11, and the price is £11 today, as far as I can see (at https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate ). What’s your secret?

Kind regards

Stephen

Stephen Challis

Please reply to Stephen.Challis@...

[...]

Try https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

You will need to create an account but that also lest you search the GRO Birth & Death Index.

[...]

John James

Ordered online from the GRO, a PDF version is £7, but paper copies are £11.

John

stephen.challis@...

Very many thanks, Mike and John.