Repeated Trojan Attempts tonight

Helen at Darlington

This keep happening, and Family Historian 7 was the only program open, at least this last time. 

Helen

Jane Taubman

As you can see easily from your screen shot the program causing the problem is nothing to do with Family Historian and looks to be a Trojan located in your Windows folder.  Clicking on the blue link for Trojan should give you advice on what to do.

I recommend ensuring your Antivirus is fully upto date and do a full scan of your PC and if you still don't find the culprit contact the Malware Bytes support.

Ian Thirlwell

I already replied to this but my message doesn’t seem to have come through. The problem is mentioned on the Malwarebytes forum as a ‘'false positive” & should be fixed by updating your Malwarebytes.
Ian

Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 11:44 AM
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Repeated Trojan Attempts tonight

As you can see easily from your screen shot the program causing the problem is nothing to do with Family Historian and looks to be a Trojan located in your Windows folder.  Clicking on the blue link for Trojan should give you advice on what to do.

I recommend ensuring your Antivirus is fully upto date and do a full scan of your PC and if you still don't find the culprit contact the Malware Bytes support.

Neil Grantham

I also replied and it hasn’t come through yet - likely to be held if it had the image in it.

I’m not convinced it’s genuine, although SearchApp.exe is part of Windows, the one mentioned looked to have a suspicious path.

Best Wishes
Neil

Sent via BT Email App

Sent: Apr 3, 2021 at 4:53 PM
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Repeated Trojan Attempts tonight

I already replied to this but my message doesn’t seem to have come through. The problem is mentioned on the Malwarebytes forum as a ‘'false positive” & should be fixed by updating your Malwarebytes.
Ian

Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 11:44 AM

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.

Adrian Bruce

On Sat, Apr 3, 2021, 17:05 Neil Grantham via groups.io <neil40=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

... I’m not convinced it’s genuine, although SearchApp.exe is part of Windows, the one mentioned looked to have a suspicious path.

The folders in Windows\SystemApps all have weird endings. Most of mine end with cw5n1h2txyewy which looks like it might be the last part of the folder name in the screen shot.

The days are long gone when I could find my way round \Windows !! 

Helen at Darlington

Thank you, all. I panicked a bit. Ian: Malwarebytes does do the occasional false positive, so thank you for that assurance. Maybe it was to do with Windows 10's dreadful search facility in the bottom left of the screen: I wouldn't mind getting rid of the useless thing! Like you, Adrian, I can no longer find my way around Windows!

John Liddle, Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Helen - I don't want to put a dampener on things, but I had the same Trojan warnings from Malwarebytes when using TMG rather than FH.

I ran a full scan with Norton and it found and removed a Trojan, since when, no more Malwarebytes messages.

You might care to consider a full virus sweep of your machine as a precaution.

Best wishes,

rob.cook-genes@...

Please take the warning seriously - I also found a Trojan called Trojan.Kryptik.AQ. My malware program SpyHunter identified and removed it (April 1st)

It appeared that when I tried to close FH, it just hung. I had MyHeritage website open at the time, so I’m not sure the origin of the Trojan.

Best wishes

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of John Liddle, Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow" via groups.io
Sent: April 5, 2021 3:02 PM

Helen - I don't want to put a dampener on things, but I had the same Trojan warnings from Malwarebytes when using TMG rather than FH.

I ran a full scan with Norton and it found and removed a Trojan, since when, no more Malwarebytes messages.

You might care to consider a full virus sweep of your machine as a precaution.

Best wishes,

Ian Thirlwell

Sent: Friday, April 2, 2021 6:18 PM
Subject: [family-historian] Repeated Trojan Attempts tonight

This keep happening, and Family Historian 7 was the only program open, at least this last time. 

Helen

Neil Grantham

SearchApp.exe is normally a part of Windows in either C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System32, so this one looks suspicious, especially as Malwarebytes has picked it up.

As already stated, make sure your AV and MalwareBytes are up to date and so full scans with both. As the latter found it to be potentially malicious, the scan should allow you to deal with it when it completes.
I’ve sworn by this program for years fighting malware in my job.

Best Wishes
Neil

Sent via BT Email App

Sent: Apr 3, 2021 at 11:40 AM
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Repeated Trojan Attempts tonight

Helen

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.

Helen at Darlington

Thank you, Ian and and everyone. It is good of you to take the time to help, as of course, this does not concern Family Historian. I did a scan right away, and that was all clear. The next day - or yesterday - Windows 10 confronted me with its desire that I update sync settings and buy cloud storage - none of which suits me! I am now sure that Windows was the trigger.