Records Window

Bob Brown

In the Records Window, is it possible to add a column for Husband’s Surname.  This would help where I have several Marys, Elizabeths, etc. whose surnames I do not know.

Bob Brown

Mike Tate

Yes, there are various techniques depending on exactly what you want.

I assume you know how to edit Records Window Columns.

The simplest expression is the surname of the spouse:

INDI.~SPOU[1]>NAME[1]:SURNAME

That will give the surname of husbands and the maiden surname of wives, but only for the 1st partnership/marriage.

To include the 2nd partnership/marriage in another column use:

INDI.~SPOU[2]>NAME[1]:SURNAME

Similarly, for 3rd, 4th, etc, spouses.

It is possible to combine those all in one column with a more complex expression if you are interested.

Do you know that the Filter for Last Name at the top of the Records Window includes Husband’s Surnames by default?

i.e. If you search for Smith it will list everyone with the surname Smith and all women whose partner/spouse is a Smith.

Many people also add the partner/spouse surname to the surname of women whose maiden name is unknown, but marked in some way.

e.g. Mary /[Smith]/ or Elizabeth /Jones?/ which has the advantage of sorting with the male Jones.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Brown
Sent: 08 July 2020 10:26
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Records Window

In the Records Window, is it possible to add a column for Husband’s Surname.  This would help where I have several Marys, Elizabeths, etc. whose surnames I do not know.

Bob Brown

Betty Downing

I have added a column I call Spouse Name and the expression that drives it is

INDI.~SPOU[1]>NAME[1]:SURNAME_FIRST

Hope this is useful,

Betty Downing

Virus-free. www.avg.com

On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 at 10:26, Bob Brown <r-j-brown@...> wrote:

Bob Brown

Sue Herrington

Mike, have you customised the Last Name filter in FH as I cannot reproduce the result you describe

Do you know that the Filter for Last Name at the top of the Records Window includes Husband’s Surnames by default?

i.e. If you search for Smith it will list everyone with the surname Smith and all women whose partner/spouse is a Smith.”

On trying this again just now, I still only have results of those individuals whose own surname is the one searched for.

Sue Herrington

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 08 July 2020 11:08
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Records Window

Yes, there are various techniques depending on exactly what you want.

I assume you know how to edit Records Window Columns.

The simplest expression is the surname of the spouse:

INDI.~SPOU[1]>NAME[1]:SURNAME

That will give the surname of husbands and the maiden surname of wives, but only for the 1st partnership/marriage.

To include the 2nd partnership/marriage in another column use:

INDI.~SPOU[2]>NAME[1]:SURNAME

Similarly, for 3rd, 4th, etc, spouses.

It is possible to combine those all in one column with a more complex expression if you are interested.

i.e. If you search for Smith it will list everyone with the surname Smith and all women whose partner/spouse is a Smith.

Many people also add the partner/spouse surname to the surname of women whose maiden name is unknown, but marked in some way.

e.g. Mary /[Smith]/ or Elizabeth /Jones?/ which has the advantage of sorting with the male Jones.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Brown
Sent: 08 July 2020 10:26
Subject: [family-historian] Records Window

Bob Brown

Jane Taubman

It's not actually the default, but if you click on small Options button next the the filters and tick the include Husbands surnames it will work.

Sue Herrington

Thanks very much Jane, I had completely forgotten about the options available!

Sent: 08 July 2020 15:56

It's not actually the default, but if you click on small Options button next the the filters and tick the include Husbands surnames it will work.

Mike Tate

Yes, sorry, I thought it was enabled by default, but I must have set it a long while ago.

Click the Options… button alongside the Filter and tick Include Husbands’ Surnames.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Sue Herrington
Sent: 08 July 2020 14:07

Mike, have you customised the Last Name filter in FH as I cannot reproduce the result you describe

i.e. If you search for Smith it will list everyone with the surname Smith and all women whose partner/spouse is a Smith.”

On trying this again just now, I still only have results of those individuals whose own surname is the one searched for.

Sue Herrington

Sue Herrington

Thanks Mike, I’d forgotten about that box

Sue

Sent: 08 July 2020 16:46

Yes, sorry, I thought it was enabled by default, but I must have set it a long while ago.

Click the Options… button alongside the Filter and tick Include Husbands’ Surnames.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Sue Herrington
Sent: 08 July 2020 14:07

Sue Herrington

Bob Brown

Betty and Mike.  Very many thanks for your responses.  This gives me the information that I was looking for.

Bob

From: family-historian@groups.io [mailto:family-historian@groups.io] On Behalf Of Betty Downing
Sent: 8 July 2020 10:36

I have added a column I call Spouse Name and the expression that drives it is

INDI.~SPOU[1]>NAME[1]:SURNAME_FIRST

Hope this is useful,

Betty Downing

Virus-free. www.avg.com

On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 at 10:26, Bob Brown <r-j-brown@...> wrote:

Bob Brown