From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Sheila Bryant
Sent: 30 June 2020 23:04
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Recording a Court Martial

Hi there,

I'm adding in the rather colourful military record of one of my husbands ancestors. I'm using the Military History Fact Set, which is great for most of the information, but my man appears in the Defaulters records, and was Court Martialled. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to add these in?

Many thanks

Sheila Bryant

Sheila Bryant

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a go. I've managed to avoid Custom Facts before now, but it will be good for me - you make it sound easy!

Kind regards

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 10:25, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Hi Sheila,

Since you are comfortable with using the many custom facts defined by the Military History Fact Set, I suggest you create a New custom fact in that Fact Set for a Court Martial event.

So in Tools > Fact Types click New... and enter the Fact Name as Court Martial, in Fact Set select Military 2 and click Create.

You may need to adjust the Sentence Template and add Witness Roles depending on what information you wish to record.

I'm adding in the rather colourful military record of one of my husbands ancestors. I'm using the Military History Fact Set, which is great for most of the information, but my man appears in the Defaulters records, and was Court Martialled. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to add these in?

Many thanks

Sheila Bryant

Sheila

Sheila Bryant

Hi Mike,

So far so good. Is it possible to add a new field to the new Fact type? In a perfect world I'd like to have something like "Charge" or "Offence" rather than use the Note. I see I can add {cause} to the Sentence Template, but I'm not clear where I can access that.

Many thanks

[...]

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

If you create it as an Attribute rather than an Event, you’ll be able to have a Value field which you could use as you propose.

I'm adding in the rather colourful military record of one of my husbands ancestors. I'm using the Military History Fact Set, which is great for most of the information, but my man appears in the Defaulters records, and was Court Martialled. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to add these in?

Many thanks

Sheila Bryant

Sheila

Sheila Bryant

That sounds good, although - being picky - I'd prefer to have this as an Event. Possibly just the way my mind works.....

--
Sheila

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

An event can’t have a Value, so you’d have to use the Note. An Attribute can have a value and still have all the other characteristics of an Event including a Date, a Place, and Address etc.

That sounds good, although - being picky - I'd prefer to have this as an Event. Possibly just the way my mind works.....

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 12:46, colevalleygirl@... <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

If you create it as an Attribute rather than an Event, you’ll be able to have a Value field which you could use as you propose.

Mike Tate

There are several options and many are summarised in the FHUG Knowledge Base for Narrative Report Fact Sentence Templates:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:narrative_report_fact_sentence_templates

Especially in the Custom Fact Fields section.

As Helen suggested, you could create an Attribute instead of an Event and gain the use of the {value} code.

You are correct that you could use the Cause field and the {cause} code.

Apart from the Death event, the Cause field is accessed via the All tab by right-clicking the Fact name (Court Martial) and using Add Cause.

Thereafter, click on the expand button [+] for Court Martial to edit the Cause field value.

Finally, the Note field can have labelled meta-fields that involve using the {=GetLabelledText(%FACT.NOTE2%,"Charge: ")} function.

Sheila Bryant

Ah - OK. A lot learned this morning - many thanks!

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 13:08, colevalleygirl@... <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

An event can’t have a Value, so you’d have to use the Note. An Attribute can have a value and still have all the other characteristics of an Event including a Date, a Place, and Address etc.

That sounds good, although - being picky - I'd prefer to have this as an Event. Possibly just the way my mind works.....

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 12:46, colevalleygirl@... <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

If you create it as an Attribute rather than an Event, you’ll be able to have a Value field which you could use as you propose.

--
Sheila

Sheila Bryant

That sounds like what I'd like to do. I'm afraid I'm being a bit slow here. Where should I be to right-click the Fact Name? So far I've only been given the option to 'Edit' it. Clearly I'm missing something here.......

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 13:24, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

[...]

In the Property Box where a Court Martial fact has been added to the Facts tab, you must use the All tab to reach the Cause field.

You use the Property Box to alter each of the instances of the Court Martial fact, i.e. its Cause field value.

You use Tools > Fact Types to Edit the one Fact Definition that determines how those Court Martial facts are presented in Reports, etc, i.e. by using the {cause} code.

[...]

Ahh - got it!! Wasn't on the right wavelength at all there. It's all just the way I'd like it to be now, plus I've learned a whole lot.

Thank you for patience and the lovely clear explanation. I think your work here is done :-)

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 14:33, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

[...]

Edward Sneithe

I was intrigue by this discussion and if I have interpreted it correctly the GEDCOM standard 5.5.1. allows a value with an event. If this is FH's understanding also does anyone know if that will be included in V7?

Mike Tate

Sorry, but you have misunderstood on several counts.

Firstly, FH abides by the GEDCOM 5.5 standard and not 5.5.1.

Secondly, it was made clear that Events (e.g. Birth, Marriage, Death) do NOT allow a value, whereas Attributes (e.g. Occupation, Education, Religion) do allow a value.

We don’t know exactly what will be in FH V7 but it is unlikely to change that distinction between Events and Attributes internally.

It is true that several products have chosen not to differentiate between Events and Attributes regarding values but whether that is due to GEDCOM 5.5.1 is not clear, especially as many such products do not support other 5.5.1 features.