Rearrange Address and Places Parts Plugin

David Hodgson-Brown

Hi All

I would like to add the place to all my address entries. It must be my ‘senior moment’, but I can’t work out how to set this up in the plugin. Can anybody help please.

Thanks

David

Victor Markham

When you are in Focus under any name. Prompt your facts tab it will then list where you can put the place name and address

Victor

On 25/04/2022 09:38, David Hodgson-Brown wrote:

Hi All

I would like to add the place to all my address entries. It must be my ‘senior moment’, but I can’t work out how to set this up in the plugin. Can anybody help please.

Thanks

David

Mike Tate

Hi David,

The first thing to do is use Tools > Work with Data > Addresses and increase the number of Columns to 10 (or whatever you think you need).

You must decide how columns need to be reserved for Addresses.

Let us assume 5 for sake of argument. i.e. None of your Addresses needs more than 5 columns.

It also assumes that none of your Places needs more than 5 columns, because Address columns + Place columns must be no more than 10.

Run the Plugin and note that Address 1 to Address 5 will remain unchanged to Address columns intact.

In the Address 6 drop list select Place 1.

In the Address 7 drop list select Place 2.

and so on until

In the Address 10 drop list select Place 5.

That is it.

BTW: Why do you think this rearrangement is a good idea?

Mike Tate

I would like to add the place to all my address entries. It must be my ‘senior moment’, but I can’t work out how to set this up in the plugin. Can anybody help please.

Thanks

David

David Hodgson-Brown

Thanks for the clarification.

I am not definitely going to do this, but reading the information on Gedcom 7 from the LDS I think it is implying that ‘Place’ is more like a legal entity, whereas the address is definitely one that can be used as a postal address so needs to be compete.

David

I would like to add the place to all my address entries. It must be my ‘senior moment’, but I can’t work out how to set this up in the plugin. Can anybody help please.

Thanks

David

Mike Tate

David,

Although given better structural definitions in GEDCOM v7.0 the concepts of ‘Place’ and ‘Address’ have not changed in GEDCOM specifications for decades.

What is more important is how ‘Place’ and ‘Address’ fields are handled in genealogy products such as FH.

There is crucial advice in the FHUG Knowledge Base for ‘Working with Places and Addresses’:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/working-with-places-and-addresses-for-new-users/

The ‘Overlapping Places and Addresses’ section discusses your proposed rearrangement.

Mike Tate

Vyger

David,

I religiously remove superfluous address information from the place entity and did this since the feature was released in Rootsmagic 4 maybe 14 years ago.

I believe it makes for more concise place recording and better hint accuracy so made sense to me. However at present I cannot geo-code, attach media and notes to addresses in Family Historian although I believe this will come within V7.

The reason I say that is these enhanced site components have become less of a niche and more mainstream in competitor software. And let's face it every WDYTYA program (and the like) the subject want to stand on the site of their ancestor and know a little history of the Church or building and a photograph if available.

Geographic clusters (within places) have also given me valuable clues in my research, for now this is the last thing I maintain outside FH but hopefully not for long. If your site and place strings are combined at present I would suggest beefing them up in preparation for a likely split utility if/when FH make the enhancement available.

Jackson

On Mon, 25 Apr 2022, 13:18 David Hodgson-Brown, <dave@...> wrote:

Thanks for the clarification.

I am not definitely going to do this, but reading the information on Gedcom 7 from the LDS I think it is implying that ‘Place’ is more like a legal entity, whereas the address is definitely one that can be used as a postal address so needs to be compete.

David

I would like to add the place to all my address entries. It must be my ‘senior moment’, but I can’t work out how to set this up in the plugin. Can anybody help please.

Thanks

David

Adrian Bruce

On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 at 13:18, David Hodgson-Brown <dave@...> wrote:

I am not definitely going to do this, but reading the information on Gedcom 7 from the LDS I think it is implying that ‘Place’ is more like a legal entity, whereas the address is definitely one that can be used as a postal address so needs to be compete.

As Mike says, nothing has materially changed in ages in those definitions. IIRC, the Place is supposed to be a Jurisdiction and the Address is a Postal Address.  The problem is that an exact following of those concepts leads to all sorts of issues in my view. For instance - how do you encode a mountain? This was an issue for someone trying to record where people died in a plane crash while still following the exact GEDCOM specification. The mountain isn't a jurisdiction, so it couldn't go in the place-name. But did it qualify as a postal address? Could you send a letter there? Probably not...

I, like Mike, would be far more concerned about how other people have used those two items - they are, after all, the targets for your software. And on that topic you should understand that FamilySearch FamilyTree very definitely doesn't follow the split of Place and Address. FSFT has a database of standard place-names, most of which are jurisdictions but some of which are churches, cemeteries, etc - the sort of thing that many of us would put in the address - as well as towns and villages that aren't jurisdictions . It would therefore seem likely to me that if there is a change in GEDCOM in the future, it will shift towards a much looser interpretation of those items (FSFT being the later thing).

Adrian

Debbie Kennett

I’ve got a few people who died at sea but for whom I have no exact location.

Ancestry trees only have a field for location and don’t distinguish between address and place. There seem to be no easy solutions to standardisation of place names and addresses.

Debbie Kennett

uhkh3tsccmz9@beconfidential.com

Within FH I tend to view a "place" as an "area" on a map, whilst an "address" is a "point" on a map.

"The Ship was sunk in the Bristol Channel (Area - place), It's wreck is marked by the RMS xxxxx Wreck Buoy (point - address)"
"I lived in County Durham (Area - place), my flat was opposite Durham Cathedral (point - address)"

On Google Maps compare:
The pity is that other mapping facilities won't do the same. If I was born in London (place) but actually in a flat (address) in Tower Hamlets, I'm not sure I would want my birth place marked by a map pin in say the Mansion House! An area (either London - bit big - or Tower Hamlets) would be more acceptable because a shaded area conveys something about precision. A map-pin on the actual address would also convey honest precision.

The problem in FH and probably elsewhere is that uniquely defining an address requires reference to the place where that address is and the "address" field currently cannot link to a "place" - although given that it is a non standard enhancement, I don't see why we should not eventually have a further enhancement and be able to enter a place and then be offered (by pull down list) all the addresses already associated with that place with an option to "add an address".

David

Vyger

David,

You are probably aware relation Addresses to the Place is already in other software and I agree it needs to be part of FH. I have new migrants from Rootsmagic who pull down the Address list noticing that Greenlawn Cemetery has several entries but not relational to any particular Place.

Not a lot of London entries in my DB but London is the square mile to me and I always note the Hamlet (sub division) for greater mapping accuracy followed by Address (site)

A large percentage of my studies are in Ireland where I choose to use the Parish as the Place name and the Townland as the Address, luckily there are ~65k Townlands in Ireland and the boundaries have remained mostly unchanged for the last 800 years. Interestingly I remember in the early days of IGI fische these names were noted although unfamiliar to me then, locals still refer to them now (not townies)

Heredis 2021 does an interesting grab in mapping where it displays the Place shaded then another tab attempts to list all the sub divisions for selection. They use Openstreetmap like FH and all the Townlands of Ireland are defined on Openstreetmap.

Bottom line is online mapping has moved on in leaps and bounds and CP have several other implementations to study before introducing the feature.

Brave new world,

Jackson