Putting programme on Laptop

Liz Aiken <liz.aiken1@...>

Hi

I believe that is possible to have the programme running on two device.
1. How do you install the programme on 2nd device - laptop

2. Once programme loaded how do you ensure that the information is the same on both machines?

Thanks in advance  for your expertise

Regards

Liz

Mike Tate

Hi Liz,

Yes, the licence terms allow you to install FH on two PC that you own as long as you only use one copy at a time.

You can read the licence at C:\Program Files (x86)\Family Historian\Program\Licence.txt

You install FH on 2nd PC the same way you installed it on 1st PC.

The exact details will depend on what you bought (download or CD) and whether a Full Licence or an Upgrade Licence.

Full details are in the FHUG Knowledge Base ~ Family Historian Installation Advice:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:reinstall_family_historian

There are various ways to synchronise both machines.

You could copy from PC to PC using say a USB memory stick or use one of the cloud store sync services such as OneDrive, Google Drive or Dropbox.

The process of migrating is in the FHUG Knowledge Base ~ Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:family_historian_migration_guide

The synchronisation techniques are in the FHUG Knowledge Base ~ Synchronise and Backup Tools:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=fhugdownloads:synchro

There is a specific guide for each of those three popular sync tools.

When you have checked all those guides you may have more questions.

Regards, Mike Tate

I believe that is possible to have the programme running on two device.

1. How do you install the programme on 2nd device - laptop

2. Once programme loaded how do you ensure that the information is the same on both machines?

Thanks in advance  for your expertise

Regards

Liz

Liz Aiken <liz.aiken1@...>

Thanks will try tomorrow

Liz

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020, 18:15 Mike Tate, <post@...> wrote:

[...]

It took a couple of days to start and the first problem I have CD and registration key BUT no CD tray on my laptop. I can not see how I can  download the programme the only link I can find is the 'free download'.

Do you have any solutions/ helpful links.

Regards, and Thanks in advance

Liz

Liz Aiken

0776 9713918

Twitter @bluesdoodles
Facebook Page Bluesdoodles
Tumblr Bluesdoodles
Skype Bluesdoodles

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 at 18:15, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, that is covered in the FHUG Knowledge Base ~ FH Installation Details below the flowchart.

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:family_historian_installation_details

“If you only have an Installation CD, but your new PC is a Netbook/Laptop with no CD drive, then on any PC with a CD/DVD drive, copy the entire contents of the Installation CD onto a USB pen drive memory stick and install from that instead by running the Setup file.”

It took a couple of days to start and the first problem I have CD and registration key BUT no CD tray on my laptop. I can not see how I can  download the programme the only link I can find is the 'free download'.

Do you have any solutions/ helpful links.

Regards, and Thanks in advance

Liz

Victor Markham

You can get an external CD and connect it to your laptop. I have one of these. Alternatively downloaded the software

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

From https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:family_historian_installation_details&s[]=install&s[]=no&s[]=cd

If you only have an Installation CD, but your new PC is a Netbook/Laptop with no CD drive, then on any PC with a CD/DVD drive, copy the entire contents of the Installation CD onto a USB pen drive memory stick and install from that instead by running the Setup file.

I believe that is possible to have the programme running on two device.

1. How do you install the programme on 2nd device - laptop

2. Once programme loaded how do you ensure that the information is the same on both machines?

Thanks in advance  for your expertise

Regards

Liz

Victor, it is not possible to download the software to replace a CD.

The licence details are tied to the CD and will NOT work with any download.

You can get an external CD and connect it to your laptop. I have one of these. Alternatively downloaded the software

Victor Markham

Sorry there is a misunderstanding here. I meant the FH software. Obviously software cannot replace a CD.

I have an external CD/DVD drive but rarely use it. In fact I am not sure if they are still available. If they are good one can make other uses of the DVD drive.

Victor

On 16/06/2020 10:40 am, Mike Tate wrote:

Victor, it is not possible to download the software to replace a CD.

The licence details are tied to the CD and will NOT work with any download.

You can get an external CD and connect it to your laptop. I have one of these. Alternatively downloaded the software

Neil Grantham

Victor

Yes external CD or DVD drives still available. Many laptops, and even some new PC's come without them. A lot of software is now downloadable.
Mike was just pointing out that your 'Alternatively download the software' was incorrect in that downloads from the FH website won't work with a CD install key.

Best Wishes,

Neil