Printing tree on one page

genieoneil@...

Hi--I'm new to the group.  I set up a family tree back in the early 90s for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary on an old program.  I've had to re-input all my data.  The old program could print out on one portrait page me up through my great-great-grandparents.  I can't seem to print anything on one page (if I can figure out how, I could post the my old page here).  I loved this view and would like to make a one pager for all the relatives for Mom's 100th birthday party.  I've tried going through view and publish but nothing seems to compare to this one pager.  Also, if I try a narrative report, why does it only go to 3rd generation when I have two more generations inputed?  I hope I'm not asking too many questions that answers are already out there!!  Thanks for any help.

Jane Taubman

On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 at 17:52, <genieoneil@...> wrote:
  I can't seem to print anything on one page (if I can figure out how, I could post the my old page here).

You can adjust and zoom the page formatting for a diagram by turning on the page boundaries and adjusting the position of the chart.

If you search the Help for Page Boundaries and then click on the Diagram Menu item the details to use the tools are there.

Another quick and dirty method is to use Diagram Save As>PDF and select a single page pdf and let your pdf view scale it down to your paper.

Yet another option is to use one of the reports such as Ancestors Outline dependant on what you are trying to show.

Also, if I try a narrative report, why does it only go to 3rd generation when I have two more generations inputed?

You need to display the report and then click on the Options button on the right and select the number of generations you want.

._,_
--

genieoneil@...

Thanks so much.  I'm not sure why I took on this task!!  I'll keep fooling around with the boxes etc. but I can't seem to get everything on one page.  My old one pushed everything closer together and the lines came out of the middle of the box rather than the end.  I haven't seen where I can do that.

Sorry but one more question--I swear!  I goofed.  My oldest sibling is divorced but has a partner.  Somehow it got both as unmarried couple and married and kept coming up as being married.  I deleted him and when I put him back in, it still had as married couple.  So I really goofed and deleted her!!  Out went her husband and their 4 children & 6 grandchildren!!!!  That's okay--I've put them all back in but she comes up as the 7th child instead of the 1st.  Any way I can get her to the top of the list!?

Thanks again for all your help.

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 1:02 PM Jane Taubman <janetaubman@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Tate

Assuming you have entered her date of birth, use Tools > Re-order Out-of-Sequence Data.

See FHUG ~ Knowledge Base ~ Sorting Children, Spouses & Facts into Order for other sorting options:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:sorting_children

It may be better if you post your questions in the FHUG Forums and consult our Knowledge Base.

There is a great deal of advice there with video tutorials and screenshots, etc, etc.

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/

It is all free.

Regards, Mike Tate

Thanks so much.  I'm not sure why I took on this task!!  I'll keep fooling around with the boxes etc. but I can't seem to get everything on one page.  My old one pushed everything closer together and the lines came out of the middle of the box rather than the end.  I haven't seen where I can do that.

Sorry but one more question--I swear!  I goofed.  My oldest sibling is divorced but has a partner.  Somehow it got both as unmarried couple and married and kept coming up as being married.  I deleted him and when I put him back in, it still had as married couple.  So I really goofed and deleted her!!  Out went her husband and their 4 children & 6 grandchildren!!!!  That's okay--I've put them all back in but she comes up as the 7th child instead of the 1st.  Any way I can get her to the top of the list!?

Thanks again for all your help.

stephen.challis@...

Alternatively, when in diagram view, double-click on one of your parents’ names.

In the window that opens, you’ll see listed the names of all your parents’ children.

Click on the name of the sibling at the bottom of the list.

Click on the ‘up’ arrow above the last column to bring that sibling to the right position in the family pecking order.

When you close the window and return to the diagram, you’ll see the sibling in the right location.

How nice, at last, to see a question that I think I know the answer to. I don’t even understand most questions, let alone know how to answer them!

regards

Stephen Challis

Thanks so much.  I'm not sure why I took on this task!!  I'll keep fooling around with the boxes etc. but I can't seem to get everything on one page.  My old one pushed everything closer together and the lines came out of the middle of the box rather than the end.  I haven't seen where I can do that.

Sorry but one more question--I swear!  I goofed.  My oldest sibling is divorced but has a partner.  Somehow it got both as unmarried couple and married and kept coming up as being married.  I deleted him and when I put him back in, it still had as married couple.  So I really goofed and deleted her!!  Out went her husband and their 4 children & 6 grandchildren!!!!  That's okay--I've put them all back in but she comes up as the 7th child instead of the 1st.  Any way I can get her to the top of the list!?

Thanks again for all your help.

Genie O'Neil <genieoneil@...>

Thanks so much--glad I could give you an easy question!

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 4:20 PM <stephen.challis@...> wrote:

[...]

Having upset your family group and put them all back in, I am concerned you may now have several duplicated entries.

Please use the Records Window and on the Individuals tab click on the Individual Records column heading, to sort into name order.

Check that there are any duplicated entries for your eldest sibling’s husband, children, or grandchildren.

If there are duplicates, may I suggest your restore back to the Snapshot taken on Monday or Tuesday.

That actually might be a better option even if no duplicates, as you will learn how to fix married/unmarried couple status.

Use File > Backup/Restore > Revert to Snapshot and choose one taken just before you deleted your eldest sibling’s husband.

When that is all sorted out we can get back to your original problem of printing a diagram on one page, which should be quite easy.

Regards, Mike Tate

Sorry but one more question--I swear!  I goofed.  My oldest sibling is divorced but has a partner.  Somehow it got both as unmarried couple and married and kept coming up as being married.  I deleted him and when I put him back in, it still had as married couple.  So I really goofed and deleted her!!  Out went her husband and their 4 children & 6 grandchildren!!!!  That's okay--I've put them all back in but she comes up as the 7th child instead of the 1st.  Any way I can get her to the top of the list!?

Genie O'Neil <genieoneil@...>

Great. Thanks so much Mike. I reverted back and figured out how to get rid of the married and changed to unmarried couple (my sister was adamant!!).

I’ve yet to figure out the “easy” way to print on one page!!!  This is what I’m looking for.   Where is the easy button!!?  😁