Plugin - Files in media folder and not linked to project

James Pam

I am trying to get to grips with plugin. : ‘files in media folder and not linked to project’.  I have 172  media items  That all in a grey type.(I have over 1000 media images in my project.)

I have checked some of these media items and they  all appear where I expect them:  property box/facts/media for fact.

 I don’t understand what this  plugin is telling me and I am struggling to understand what it is meant to do.

I don’t have any unlinked media.

Any help would be appreciated.

Adrian Bruce

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021, 15:44 James Pam <jamespam1@...> wrote:

I am trying to get to grips with plugin. : ‘files in media folder and not linked to project’. ...

 I don’t understand what this  plugin is telling me and I am struggling to understand what it is meant to do.

I don’t have any unlinked media.

Quite possibly it's not telling you anything useful at all - it depends on how you work.

To try to recap - inside Family Historian, there are Media Records that are linked to files out there, usually in your Project folder.

FH menu item Tools / External File Links will check that the Media Records in FH really do point to an existing file out there. (Files that you can see using Windows Explorer).

What that plugin does is a check in the Reverse direction - it looks in the Project's media folder and checks whether the file (file in the Windows sense) has been linked to a Media Record in FH or not.

If it finds one, it tells you about it in some fashion.

This warning might be meaningful or meaningless depending on how you work.

Me, I have 2 sets of sub folders in my project media folder. One set is for to-do images etc that I've downloaded but haven't turned into Source Records in FH yet. The other set is for those that I have linked via Media Records to Source Records.

So if I ran that plugin, I'd get dozens of files that haven't been linked. Well, yes, they are those in my to-do folders! Because of that, the plugin doesn't do anything useful for me and I've never run it in living memory. Whether the plugin picks up absolutely any file in the project media folder, I don't know because there might be all sorts of other files in there that I've not linked - eg text files telling me what an image file's origin was.

On the other hand, for someone who uses their Project media folder only for media items that go into FH, and processes them all pretty much immediately, the plugin acts to say "You missed this one..."

Note that I don't use this plugin for reasons that are written above, so I may have missed something.

Adrian

James Pam

Thank you Adrian that helps me improve my understanding.

 but I still don’t understand why, when I check in a person’s property box/media I find the image that the plugin tells me is not linked to the project!

As you say the plugin:

‘ looks in the Project's media folder and checks whether the file (file in the Windows sense) has been linked to a Media Record in FH or not.

When I save images I follow the default route and save in the project not on my hard drive.

In the plugin report, the file structure is:

C:\Users\james\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Pam family\Pam family.fh_data\media\xxxjpg

I have a feeling that what I am exposing is a basic ignorance about file structures!

Mike Tate

James,

The Plugin is unlikely to be mistaken.

The Plugin says C:\Users\james\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Pam family\Pam family.fh_data\Media\xxx.jpg is not linked to a Media record.

You say it is, but does the Media record File Link: Media\xxx.jpg exactly match the file name in the Plugin report?

Please double-check. The filenames or folders may be similar but there must be something different.

FYI:

C:\Users\james\Documents\Family Historian Projects\ is the Location where you Projects are saved by FH.

\Pam family\Pam family.fh_data\Media is your Pam family project folder and data subfolder where Media files are saved.

They are all just standard Windows folders and files.

Mike Tate

Thank you Adrian that helps me improve my understanding.

 but I still don’t understand why, when I check in a person’s property box/media I find the image that the plugin tells me is not linked to the project!

As you say the plugin:

‘ looks in the Project's media folder and checks whether the file (file in the Windows sense) has been linked to a Media Record in FH or not.

When I save images I follow the default route and save in the project not on my hard drive.

In the plugin report, the file structure is:

C:\Users\james\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Pam family\Pam family.fh_data\media\xxxjpg

I have a feeling that what I am exposing is a basic ignorance about file structures!

James Pam

Thanks Mike

When you refer to the ‘media record file link’ is that the same thing as the 'folder path' that I find when I go to file information  in editor/player? If I have got this wrong please  could tell me where to find it.

James

Mike Tate

In FH, open the Media Window or in the Records Window open the Media tab.

What they list are the Media records in the FH GEDCOM file.

The ‘File’ column shows the links to each Media file itself.

If those files are within the Project Media folder then they all start with Media\ and are followed by any subfolder and lastly the file name & type.

e.g. Media\xxx.jpg or Media\Photo\abc.jpg

That is only the final part of the file path relative to the Project folder.

The rest depends on where the Project folder is located but in your case is:

C:\Users\james\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Pam family\Pam family.fh_data\

So the full file path that would be seen in Windows File Explorer or an image Editor/Player is the combination of those two parts:

C:\Users\james\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Pam family\Pam family.fh_data\Media\xxx.jpg

The full file path is also what is listed by the ‘Check for Unlinked Media’ plugin.

But every path it lists is NOT found in any Media record ‘File’ link described above.

James Pam

Mike thank you so much I think the fog is lifting slightly. A lot of the items in the plugin report appear to be duplicates. Many with slight changes to the file name such as: (1) or 'png' rather than 'jpg'. I will continue to check through the report list to make sure they are all represented within my FH gedcom file
Once again thank for your patience.