places in Show Timeline Facts

Barbara Levergood

In the Property Box, Facts tab, with Show Timeline Facts on, I would like to see not just the dates and Facts but the place in which each Fact took place for other family members.

For example, instead of:

1865, Birth of son James Smith

I'd like to see:

1865, Birth of son James Smith in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Seeing the places in the timeline would help me visualize the migration patterns of the families.

Is there a way to achieve what I want within the Property Box? If not, would a modification of the Individual Timeline query do the trick? Are there any other options?

Thanks for any advice as I learn how to customize FH!

Barbara

--

Barbara Levergood
levergood@att.net

Mike Tate

Hi Barbara,
That is an interesting idea, but unfortunately, the Timeline text in the Facts tab cannot be customised.

However, the Individual Timeline query can be modified to show almost anything you like.
In the FHUG Knowledge Base Download section there are several such examples.
See https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=fhugdownloads:queriesfact Timeline, Timeline Facts, etc.

The FHUG Knowledge Base also has lots of advice about customising FH, so I suggest you join up for free.

Another feature you may not be aware of involves the Map Window.
There you can plot the position of event places of multiple Individuals and then use the Time Slider to see how those positions migrate over time.

In the Property Box, Facts tab, with Show Timeline Facts on, I would like to see not just the dates and Facts but the place in which each Fact took place for other family members.

For example, instead of:

1865, Birth of son James Smith

I'd like to see:

1865, Birth of son James Smith in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Seeing the places in the timeline would help me visualize the migration patterns of the families.

Is there a way to achieve what I want within the Property Box? If not, would a modification of the Individual Timeline query do the trick? Are there any other options?

Thanks for any advice as I learn how to customize FH!

Barbara

Lorna Craig

In addition to the suggestions Mike has made, you may not be aware that you can create diagram text schemes which show a variety of information.   For my everyday ‘working diagram’ type I use a text scheme which includes not only the places of birth/baptism, marriage and death/burial but also census locations and emigration events.  You can view a chosen family group of just two or three generations and all their key dates and locations are visible.  I like being able to see the group as a whole, rather than just one person’s timeline.

Lorna

That is an interesting idea, but unfortunately, the Timeline text in the Facts tab cannot be customised.

However, the Individual Timeline query can be modified to show almost anything you like.

In the FHUG Knowledge Base Download section there are several such examples.

See https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=fhugdownloads:queriesfact Timeline, Timeline Facts, etc.

The FHUG Knowledge Base also has lots of advice about customising FH, so I suggest you join up for free.

Another feature you may not be aware of involves the Map Window.

There you can plot the position of event places of multiple Individuals and then use the Time Slider to see how those positions migrate over time.

In a similar vein, there is the Quick Family Facts plugin that shows Birth, Baptism, Marriage, Death, Burial details for the immediate family group of Individual, Father, Mother, Partners, Siblings & Children.

Mike Tate

In addition to the suggestions Mike has made, you may not be aware that you can create diagram text schemes which show a variety of information.   For my everyday ‘working diagram’ type I use a text scheme which includes not only the places of birth/baptism, marriage and death/burial but also census locations and emigration events.  You can view a chosen family group of just two or three generations and all their key dates and locations are visible.  I like being able to see the group as a whole, rather than just one person’s timeline.

Lorna

Barbara Levergood

Thanks Mike and Lorna. I will experiment with those options.

Barbara

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 6:15 AM -0400, "Mike Tate" <post@...> wrote:

In a similar vein, there is the Quick Family Facts plugin that shows Birth, Baptism, Marriage, Death, Burial details for the immediate family group of Individual, Father, Mother, Partners, Siblings & Children.

Mike Tate

In addition to the suggestions Mike has made, you may not be aware that you can create diagram text schemes which show a variety of information.   For my everyday ‘working diagram’ type I use a text scheme which includes not only the places of birth/baptism, marriage and death/burial but also census locations and emigration events.  You can view a chosen family group of just two or three generations and all their key dates and locations are visible.  I like being able to see the group as a whole, rather than just one person’s timeline.

Lorna

Barbara Levergood

Thanks again, Mike and Lorna. Your suggestions were spot-on!

Get Outlook for Android <https://aka.ms/ghei36>