Photographs imported sideways

Liz Aiken <liz.aiken1@...>

I am hoping someone here has the answer. I have recently open photograph I scanned as a .jpg file when added to media has been imported sideways. Is this due to the file being too large? If this is the case is there an optimum size?
Looking forward to your thoughts.

Liz

Liz Aiken

0776 9713918

Twitter @bluesdoodles
Facebook Page Bluesdoodles
Tumblr Bluesdoodles
Skype Bluesdoodles

Mike Tate

Hi Liz,

No, it is not too large. It is a common problem.

You possibly scanned it sideways so it has remained that way.

Anyway, there is nothing that FH itself can do, so the image file needs to be rotated.

There is an FHUG KB article on how to do that at:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:v4:adding_multimedia#photo_orientation

Remember, that must be applied to the image file that is probably in your Project’s Media subfolder.

If anything is not clear then please ask again.

Regards, Mike Tate

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

See https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=how_to:v4:adding_multimedia and select Phot Orientation in the Table of Contents on the left.

I am hoping someone here has the answer. I have recently open photograph I scanned as a .jpg file when added to media has been imported sideways. Is this due to the file being too large? If this is the case is there an optimum size?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Liz

Liz Aiken

0776 9713918

Twitter @bluesdoodles

Facebook Page Bluesdoodles

Tumblr Bluesdoodles

Skype Bluesdoodles

Liz Aiken <liz.aiken1@...>

Thanks Mike very helpful and quick response.

Liz

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020, 15:47 Mike Tate, <post@...> wrote:

[...]

Geoff Johnson

In my humble opinion every genealogist should have IrfanView available to manage images.  I've been using it for some 15 years.  It's my default jpeg opener!
You can rotate, change image sizes, and add text in tidy little boxes.  One of my greatest uses is to highlight on a census or BMD register page, the person(s) of interest.
I do that by inserting a little box in the right place and filling it with yellow (like a highlighter would).
On many such pages they're downloaded in mono, but with IrfanView you can `Increase Colour Depth' thereby using a full range of colours.
It's freeware, but I'd commend that, when you realise its value, a donation to the author is always a good thing to do.
https://www.irfanview.com/
Geoff - FHS of Cheshire, Computer Club

waltonnz

What a great idea. I have Irfanview but never thought of using it in this way. Thank you.
Patricia

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 at 08:34, <geoff@...> wrote:
In my humble opinion every genealogist should have IrfanView available to manage images.  I've been using it for some 15 years.  It's my default jpeg opener!
You can rotate, change image sizes, and add text in tidy little boxes.  One of my greatest uses is to highlight on a census or BMD register page, the person(s) of interest.
I do that by inserting a little box in the right place and filling it with yellow (like a highlighter would).
On many such pages they're downloaded in mono, but with IrfanView you can `Increase Colour Depth' thereby using a full range of colours.
It's freeware, but I'd commend that, when you realise its value, a donation to the author is always a good thing to do.
https://www.irfanview.com/
Geoff - FHS of Cheshire, Computer Club

ShaneB

If I may suggest an additional piece of software: Affinity Photo. https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

For many people, this may seem overkill, but until 30 June, Affinity is offering at half price. (It's their contribution to the COVID-19 issue.) AP allows you to do pretty much anything you like with an image. I use it to fix damage and dirt.

Photo is currently AUD49 I think - which means that in Euros, GBPs etc is considerably less than that.

As I say, maybe overkill for many, but you can't beat that price - over the next couple of days.

Brian Lummis

It looks as though the offer expired on June 20th in the UK. It is now back to full price!

Brian

For many people, this may seem overkill, but until 30 June, Affinity is offering at half price. (It's their contribution to the COVID-19 issue.) AP allows you to do pretty much anything you like with an image. I use it to fix damage and dirt.

Photo is currently AUD49 I think - which means that in Euros, GBPs etc is considerably less than that.

As I say, maybe overkill for many, but you can't beat that price - over the next couple of days.

ShaneB

Oops! Sorry, Brian.

My comments about the usefulness of the program stand, but I should have checked before posting the price!

Ed Bratt

I humbly agree.

The only additional suggestion I'd add is to use the 64 bit version if your computer supports that option. I use the batch conversion feature to resize images for my web-site and had a heck of a time figuring out why sometimes it just wouldn't do what I wanted. Lo and behold, I found out it was running out of memory when trying to process larger image files. No problems at all with the 64 bit version.

-- Ed Bratt