Photo Archives and Family Historian

johnfirr@...

Just wondered how others approach photo storage in Family Historian.

I have a job on my "to-do" list ( which I am sure many on here share), which is to scan and digitise the hundreds of old family photos that I have stored in albums, shoeboxes, envolopes and the bottom of drawers!.

Scanning and filing on some sort of media is somewhat tedious but fairly straightforward. I have tried to take the approach that Family hIstorian is my repository for everything in recent years but I am not sure how to approach this one? I have scanned in a few specific individuals and linked their faces for the purpose of diagrams but am not sure how it works if say I had 100 phptos of one individual and scanned them all in and linked them. Would it make reports etc really messy?

Also how do people handle group photos? Do you make a link to every person on the photo within your databse?

Any practical views or tips from those who have attached a large database of photos would be really helpful and interesting.

with thanks
John Firr

David Burgess

Hi John

I only place photos in the Media folder that I wish to link to individuals in Family Historian.  All other photos are placed in relevant folders in my computer.  I have photos I crop for specific purposes and reduce in size, but retain the original.

How do you deal with any photos of scenery or buildings unrelated to your family history?

Regards

David Burgess

--
David Burgess

johnfirr@...

The buildings one is another good question David. Do far I have linked the relevant ones to a residence or occupation fact.
John

Lorna Craig

For most group photos I make a 'frame' link to each person in the photo. You can then have a separate picture caption for each frame link if you wish, using the Link Note and 'Use Link Note as Caption'.  However in some group photos the individual faces are too small/unclear  for it to be worth making a frame link so I just link the full photo to the key individuals, for example a group wedding photo could be linked to the bride and groom and the main picture note can contain a list of the people in it.

You can attach as many pictures as you wish to an individual, but you would probably want to be selective about which pictures appear in reports.  You can do this by using the option to 'Exclude from Reports'.

If you have hundreds of photos to link it is worth deciding in advance how to organise your FH Media folder.  FH can handle any number of files with ease but if you want to be able to locate pictures directly yourself using Windows Explorer you might want to divide the Media folder into sub-folders, for example for different family branches, and use a file naming system which enables you to sort together all the pictures of a particular person.

Lorna

[...]

_

johnfirr@...

Thanks Lorna. Really useful advice. I clearly need to do some careful planning before I jump in.
Regards
John

Vyger

Lorna gave some good advice I would agree with. I have thousands of media files and choose to maintain these in a folder structure rather like one would in a filing cabinet rather than in the project folder, FH links to them anyway.

I would suggest you most important consideration at this point is agreeing a file naming system which is almost unique to your needs and makes the files easily identifiable in your is.

I switched from Rootsmagic to FH a few years back and plan a another user video on this important subject as the last video used Rootsmagic.

Jackson