One drive folder for my projects on a new PC

Gary Forget

Well I replaced a laptop and desktop with a new laptop and I’m struggling with storage of my projects. On my old computers they were all in the Project window.

In the screenshots attached the Sample Project and my Forget Family projects were all showing up on my Project Window at point of entry.

I bought the new laptop,  copied my FH data from my old laptop to my new laptop and I’ve had problems ever since.

I want the Project window in FH to show my Sample Project and Family Forget Project as options for me to choose instead of going the long route of More tasks from the Project window.

I’m also noticing the time to save the project has slowed down since moving to the new PC. Every 5 minutes or so I’m waiting to get back access to carry on entering date. I must be doing something wrong.

Any suggestions? I’ve read the Understanding Projects  pages from the Knowledge base but nothing jumped out as relevant

Thanks,

Gary

Sent from Mail for Windows

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

Gary, in More Tasks under the Project Window, go to Project List and then Choose Location for Project. Set that to the directory where your projects are.

Did you back up all your Settings and restore them to the new PC using the Backup and Restore Settings plugin? If you didn't you'll probably find that other settings have been lost, as they aren't transferred with your FH data.

Mike Tate

Gary, see the FHUG Knowledge BaseFamily Historian Copy and Migration Guide’ for full details:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-copy-and-migration-guide/

Vyger

Gary,

Use the Plugin as suggested by Mike Tate, I had a few anomalies between desktop and laptop which puzzled me and the Plugin resolved these.

FH stores some data in the registry which I didn't know about, different from my previous software and better to have system level settings.

All my genealogy data, including FH projects, are in my Documents folder and I sync this folder between desktop and laptop so all paths remain the same. I would believe once you get the system data aligned it will be plain sailing.

Jackson

On Sat, 13 Aug 2022, 09:12 Gary Forget, <garyj.f@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you everyone.

I’m back to feeling real good about choosing FH as my genealogy software.

Gary