Occupation, how to force FH to display the preferred Occupation?

Helen Dignum

Many people have more than one occupation during their lives: Scholar, Apprentice Cooper, Cooper, Master Cooper, from censuses etc giving different facts at different times.

I want to make FH display the favoured (most representative of their life) occupation eg Cooper in the front page of the person and in a diagram.
I can do a workaround creating a new fact Occupation dated just after they are born to force it to be the earliest occupation fact.
I had hoped that an undated Occupation fact might have the same effect, but does not seem to.
Is there a better way?
Using FH7.0.9

Lorna Craig

Hi Helen,

In the Facts tab of the Individual’s Property box, select the preferred occupation and then click the cog wheel icon in the Facts tab toolbar.  Then select Fact Flags and set the Preferred flag on this fact.

Lorna

Sent: 10 January 2022 15:51
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Occupation, how to force FH to display the preferred Occupation?

Many people have more than one occupation during their lives: Scholar, Apprentice Cooper, Cooper, Master Cooper, from censuses etc giving different facts at different times.

I want to make FH display the favoured (most representative of their life) occupation eg Cooper in the front page of the person and in a diagram.
I can do a workaround creating a new fact Occupation dated just after they are born to force it to be the earliest occupation fact.
I had hoped that an undated Occupation fact might have the same effect, but does not seem to.
Is there a better way?
Using FH7.0.9

waltonnz

Thank you for asking that question Helen and thank you Lorna for the solution. I've been wanting to do this for many, many years, but never imagined it could be done. Brilliant - food old FH.
Patricia

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 05:35, Lorna Craig via groups.io <l.m.craig=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Helen,

In the Facts tab of the Individual’s Property box, select the preferred occupation and then click the cog wheel icon in the Facts tab toolbar.  Then select Fact Flags and set the Preferred flag on this fact.

Lorna

Subject: [family-historian] Occupation, how to force FH to display the preferred Occupation?

Lorna Craig

Patricia, Fact flags are a new feature of FH version7, so it’s only been possible for just over a year!

Sent: 10 January 2022 22:06
To: Family Historian
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Occupation, how to force FH to display the preferred Occupation?

Thank you for asking that question Helen and thank you Lorna for the solution. I've been wanting to do this for many, many years, but never imagined it could be done. Brilliant - food old FH.

Patricia

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 05:35, Lorna Craig via groups.io <l.m.craig=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Helen,

Lorna

waltonnz

Thank you Lorna. That will teach me to read all the information when a new version comes out. I really am delighted with this new feature.
Patricia

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 11:11, Lorna Craig via groups.io <l.m.craig=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

Patricia, Fact flags are a new feature of FH version7, so it’s only been possible for just over a year!

Sent: 10 January 2022 22:06
To: Family Historian
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Occupation, how to force FH to display the preferred Occupation?

Thank you for asking that question Helen and thank you Lorna for the solution. I've been wanting to do this for many, many years, but never imagined it could be done. Brilliant - good old FH.

Patricia

Hi Helen,

Lorna

@JoopvB

What I would really like is a way to group secondary information (from a genealogical point of view as related to BMD) for narrative reports instead of having it scattered in between BMD information. Something like "her/his occupations were xx (from to), yy (from to)..." etc. The same goes for other secondary information (e.g. education, religion etc.). All the data is in FH; just need a report option to group it.

Joop

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

Sounds like a job for a report plugin?

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of j.van.beek@...
Sent: 11 January 2022 09:39

What I would really like is a way to group secondary information (from a genealogical point of view as related to BMD) for narrative reports instead of having it scattered in between BMD information. Something like "her/his occupations were xx (from to), yy (from to)..." etc. The same goes for other secondary information (e.g. education, religion etc.). All the data is in FH; just need a report option to group it.

Joop

_._,_._,_

Doug Byway

Hello Lorna,
Does this only work in  FH V7?
I run V6.2.7 and the only options I have are Witnesses and Timeline Facts.
Regards Doug

Sent from Outlook

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> on behalf of Lorna Craig via groups.io <l.m.craig@...>
Sent: 10 January 2022 16:34
To: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io>

Hi Helen,

Lorna

Is there a better way?
Using FH7.0.9

Mike Tate

Yes, Lorna said so in her previous reply.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Doug Byway
Sent: 11 January 2022 10:38

Hello Lorna,

Does this only work in  FH V7?

I run V6.2.7 and the only options I have are Witnesses and Timeline Facts.

Regards Doug

_._,_

Lorna Craig

Joop,

It’s possible to do this manually but it’s only practical if a small number of individuals are involved.  You can prevent all the separate occupation facts appearing in narrative reports by using the option (in the Property Box) to Exclude Sentence.   Then create an occupation with a date range, citing the various sources which support it, and let the narrative sentence for that fact appear in reports. 

Lorna

Sent: 11 January 2022 09:39

Joop

@JoopvB

Hi Lorna,

Yes, I've been using several workarounds for years (bundling occupations (with dates as text, using sort dates (in TMG, it's bothersome in FH) etc.). But what I don't understand is why it's not a standard reporting functionality to improve the narratives by having the option to group single dated occupation events into a paragraph (or sentence) to separate this non BMD info from popping up in between the BMD events.

As to creating a reporting plugin... if an entry point like DEA for the entry of sources would exist for reports, a whole new world would be available to us. :)

Who knows... FH8 maybe? :)

Joop

Joop, your whole new world already exists...

FH7 supports report plugins. Have a look in the Plugin Help under Special Plugin types. There are examples in C:\Program Files (x86)\Family Historian\Reports\lua and some in the Plugin Store at Report Plugins – Plugin Store (family-historian.co.uk)

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of j.van.beek@...
Sent: 12 January 2022 10:36

Hi Lorna,

Yes, I've been using several workarounds for years (bundling occupations (with dates as text, using sort dates (in TMG, it's bothersome in FH) etc.). But what I don't understand is why it's not a standard reporting functionality to improve the narratives by having the option to group single dated occupation events into a paragraph (or sentence) to separate this non BMD info from popping up in between the BMD events.

As to creating a reporting plugin... if an entry point like DEA for the entry of sources would exist for reports, a whole new world would be available to us. :)

Who knows... FH8 maybe? :)

Joop

@JoopvB

Thanks Lorna,

Every new year I learn something new! Makes me wonder what more is in stock for me.:)

No problem, Jurriaan :)

Thanks Lorna,

Every new year I learn something new! Makes me wonder what more is in stock for me.:)

Lorna Craig

In case anyone is still confused, colevalleygirl is Helen, not me!  (Though I’d be happy to take credit for her work!)

Sent: 13 January 2022 11:29

No problem, Jurriaan :)

Thanks Lorna,

@JoopvB

I am sorry Helen and Lorna; mixing up names is a genealogist's nightmare. Won't happen again (I hope :)).

Cheers, Jurriaan