Number of people in file

info@...

I get lots of gedcom files sent to me but I have never experienced this before.
In FH there are 820 people in the file but when opening the gedcom in 4 other different programs they all say 785 people.
Can anybody suggest why this would be ?
Thanks
Ron O'Neill

Mike Tate

Are you misreading what FH is telling you?

On the bottom right-hand margin of the main window, FH reports the number of Individual records and Family records.

Also, the File > File Statistics… command reports the number of every type of record.

I suspect you are looking at the largest Record Id in the Records Window, but those Record Id may have gaps in the sequence.

See FHUG Knowledge Base https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/record-identifiers/.

Mike Tate

I get lots of gedcom files sent to me but I have never experienced this before.
In FH there are 820 people in the file but when opening the gedcom in 4 other different programs they all say 785 people.
Can anybody suggest why this would be ?
Thanks
Ron O'Neill

lmillerd.msw@...

My guess would be that if youre looking into a family that has some potential repeated ancestors, FH perhaps notes it as separate individuals based on the number of spots of who appear in the tree and doesnt exclude the number of times it is repeated?

Just a guess.

Lauren Millerd

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 4:41 AM <info@...> wrote:
I get lots of gedcom files sent to me but I have never experienced this before.
In FH there are 820 people in the file but when opening the gedcom in 4 other different programs they all say 785 people.
Can anybody suggest why this would be ?
Thanks
Ron O'Neill

info@...

Hi Mike.
Thank you for that, you are, as usual, quite correct. You never stop learning with FH, must be my age. Thanks again
Ron O'Neill

Mike Tate

Don’t worry Ron, that confusion with largest Record Id versus the total number of records is a recurrent topic. You are not alone.

That is one reason why there is an FHUG KB topic on the subject.

Mike