Note formatting characters

Edward Sneithe

I am exporting from Rootsmagic V7 to FamilyHistorian V7. Both allow some formatting of the note fields. The GEDCOM file from RM addresses the formatting by including the formatting codes as text. If I want to have a name in bold it will  export like this: <b>Henry Smith</b>. The same is true for italics and underline. FH on import does not interpret these formatting codes but includes them as text.

Is there anyway to have these codes interpreted or do I need to eliminate the formatting of test fields when it comes to export/import?

Mike Tate

It should be possible to convert those codes to rich text formats using a Plugin.

Mike Tate

Edward Sneithe

Mike,

I looked for for what to change the <b> to to get the formatting but I could not find it. I tried an FH export with formatted text and it appears that the formatting is dropped so should I be looking to drop this formatting?

Mike Tate

The codes <b> and </b> etc are correct, but need the Note converting to rich text, which cannot be done in FH itself.

It needs the _FMT 1 tag to be inserted after the NOTE tag in the GEDCOM.

I think a Plugin could do that but I’m too busy to write one just now.

It might be worth keeping the codes for the time being so they can be converted later when somebody else or I can find time to write the plugin.

Edward Sneithe

Mike,

Thanks for your response.

I've looked at where these characters originate and they come from two places. Formatted notes and citations or footnotes, etc..

In the short term (maybe long term) I can work around having formatted notes and I'm not sure if I have any control over the citations. I will need to keep my data in RM for the short term for compatibility with some other users but I will be moving data into FH using the GEDCOM interface so I can make use of the better features of FH. The control cods will not be a problem unless I am going to print something out and for those cases I can edit the GEDCOM file and eliminate those control characters before import into FH.

I think any plugins should be predicated on more than one user. I'm not sure why more people are not having this issue but for now I have a workaround.