Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

Derek Kain

Hello readers,
I'm getting annoyed with the microsoft browser.
Although I have Google setup as my default browser when I use plugins on Family Historian it opens Microsoft Edge.
Which means to use the plugin results I have to open and login to FindMyPast to use the results.
I don't think this is a Family Historian problem but hoping someone can solve the problem for me.
Many thanks. Derek Kain

Mike Tate

Derek,

FH Plugins don’t use Microsoft Edge but use Internet Explorer and currently there seems to be no alternative available to Plugins.

I think you might actually be talking about the FH Web Search Window that does use Microsoft Edge.

You may also be talking about the green hints on the Focus Window that open the Web Search Window.

Use the Internet > Internet Data Matches… command and set the hints location to External Web Browser.

Assuming you have Google Chrome set as your default browser then FH will open that.

I'm getting annoyed with the microsoft browser.

Although I have Google setup as my default browser when I use plugins on Family Historian it opens Microsoft Edge.

Which means to use the plugin results I have to open and login to FindMyPast to use the results.

I don't think this is a Family Historian problem but hoping someone can solve the problem for me.

Many thanks. Derek Kain

Derek Kain

Hello Mike,
The problem in question is when I use the plugin 'Lookup Missing Census Facts' version 4.6, it gives a report.
If on the screen at the right hand I click on '...' it gives a drop down menu at the bottom of which is 'Close Microsoft Edge'.
I did try what you suggested and changed Internet Data Matches to 'External Web Browser' but still uses 'Edge'. But then I'm not doing a data match search.
Derek Kain

On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 at 17:37, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

[...]

I don’t understand where you are seeing the ‘…’ on the screen.

The plugin produces two types of report:

1) FH Result Set (similar to a Query Result Set) with column headings No., Individual, Rec Id, Life Dates, Gen. Gap, etc.

2) Browser page (Google Chrome) with column headings No., ancestry.co.uk, findmypast.co.uk, familysearch.org, myheritage.com, etc.

But neither of them have ‘…’ on the right so I don’t know what you are clicking.

Please give me some more clues of what else is on the screen and whether it is inside FH or some other application.

The problem in question is when I use the plugin 'Lookup Missing Census Facts' version 4.6, it gives a report.

If on the screen at the right hand I click on '...' it gives a drop down menu at the bottom of which is 'Close Microsoft Edge'.

I did try what you suggested and changed Internet Data Matches to 'External Web Browser' but still uses 'Edge'. But then I'm not doing a data match search.

Derek Kain

BillH

Mike,

I think the original web page is actually opening in Microsoft Edge.  On the far right in Edge there are three dots (...) which are similar to the three horizontal dots in Chrome.  If you click on those three dots, there is an option to Close Microsoft Edge near the bottom of the drop down list.

Why the original web page is opening in Edge is a different matter.  If I understand correctly it should only open in Edge if that is the default browser, but Derek indicated that that isn't the case.

Bill

On Mon Jan 10 2022 13:04:41 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time) Mike Tate wrote:

[...]

I meant to say:

On the far right in Edge there are three dots (...) which are similar to the three vertical dots in Chrome.

Bill

On Mon Jan 10 2022 13:17:51 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time) BillH via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Bill.

I suspect Derek may be using Google Chrome by manually choosing to open it.

However, it is not set as the default browser as far as Windows is concerned.

With Google Chrome open, click the three vertical dots top right and then choose Settings.

In the Settings page choose Default browser on the left and then click Make default in the middle.

Alternatively, in Windows 10 use Start > Settings > Apps > Default apps

Scroll down to Web browser that probably has the Edge icon, then click on it and choose Google Chrome.

Now it should be your default browser instead of the Edge.

[...]

Hello BillH and Mike,
Yes I do have Google Chrome set as my prefered browser.
I also should point out that I use two screens. Chrome is shown in the second screen.
Family Historian is used in the first main screen.
I click on the TOOLS menu then PLUGINS. Open 'Lookup Missing Census Facts' and get
image.png
Then click on Lookup Missing Census Facts. A list of records appears and I select the person I want. Click on OK. Then I get
image.png
image.png
image.png
Are the above snips of Microsoft Edge or not?
I don't think I'm doing anything wrong except that something is not set up correctly and I cannot find out what?
Derek Kain

On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 at 22:06, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

[...]

Sorry Derek, but although you say Google Chrome is your ‘preferred’ browser, I don’t think it is set as the Windows default browser.

You say that something is not set up correctly and cannot find out what. Well, I gave you the steps to find out.

Have you performed either of those steps I provided to check Google Chrome is the Windows default browser?

You may have set that in the past, but Windows Updates have a habit of resetting that to the Edge.

That is especially true with the recent changes to the Edge that Microsoft want you to use.

So please just follow the steps I have given and let me know how you get on.

[...]

Yes, I still set the default browser  Google Chrome.
image.png
I appreciate all your help but it's certainly baffling me. Also causing me some irritation. Have looked at Microsoft help but that mainly refers to something about Office 365? Cannot find the help I need.
Derek Kain

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 10:22, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

[...]

OK,

Despite that setting, it is still possible for Microsoft Edge to be the default for specific file types such as .html that the Plugin uses.

At the very bottom of the list in your screenshot, there is an option to ‘Choose default applications by file type’.

Click that and wait for the list to populate, then scroll down to .html HTML Document where I suspect Microsoft Edge is listed.

Please confirm that is what you find so we know the cause of the problem. Click that and change it to Google Chrome.

Alternatively, back in the Default apps list, click on ‘Web browser’ Google Chrome and choose Google Chrome again.

That should reset all the appropriate applications by file type to use Google Chrome instead of Microsoft Edge.

You may need to repeat that reset from time to time.