Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

Derek Kain

Hello readers,
I'm getting annoyed with the microsoft browser.
Although I have Google setup as my default browser when I use plugins on Family Historian it opens Microsoft Edge.
Which means to use the plugin results I have to open and login to FindMyPast to use the results.
I don't think this is a Family Historian problem but hoping someone can solve the problem for me.
Many thanks. Derek Kain

Mike Tate

Derek,

FH Plugins don’t use Microsoft Edge but use Internet Explorer and currently there seems to be no alternative available to Plugins.

I think you might actually be talking about the FH Web Search Window that does use Microsoft Edge.

You may also be talking about the green hints on the Focus Window that open the Web Search Window.

Use the Internet > Internet Data Matches… command and set the hints location to External Web Browser.

Assuming you have Google Chrome set as your default browser then FH will open that.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Derek Kain
Sent: 10 January 2022 17:24
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

Hello readers,

Although I have Google setup as my default browser when I use plugins on Family Historian it opens Microsoft Edge.

Which means to use the plugin results I have to open and login to FindMyPast to use the results.

I don't think this is a Family Historian problem but hoping someone can solve the problem for me.

Many thanks. Derek Kain

Derek Kain

Hello Mike,
The problem in question is when I use the plugin 'Lookup Missing Census Facts' version 4.6, it gives a report.
If on the screen at the right hand I click on '...' it gives a drop down menu at the bottom of which is 'Close Microsoft Edge'.
I did try what you suggested and changed Internet Data Matches to 'External Web Browser' but still uses 'Edge'. But then I'm not doing a data match search.
Derek Kain

On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 at 17:37, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Derek,

FH Plugins don’t use Microsoft Edge but use Internet Explorer and currently there seems to be no alternative available to Plugins.

I think you might actually be talking about the FH Web Search Window that does use Microsoft Edge.

You may also be talking about the green hints on the Focus Window that open the Web Search Window.

Use the Internet > Internet Data Matches… command and set the hints location to External Web Browser.

Assuming you have Google Chrome set as your default browser then FH will open that.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Derek Kain
Sent: 10 January 2022 17:24
Subject: [family-historian] Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

Hello readers,

Many thanks. Derek Kain

Mike Tate

I don’t understand where you are seeing the ‘…’ on the screen.

The plugin produces two types of report:

1) FH Result Set (similar to a Query Result Set) with column headings No., Individual, Rec Id, Life Dates, Gen. Gap, etc.

2) Browser page (Google Chrome) with column headings No., ancestry.co.uk, findmypast.co.uk, familysearch.org, myheritage.com, etc.

But neither of them have ‘…’ on the right so I don’t know what you are clicking.

Please give me some more clues of what else is on the screen and whether it is inside FH or some other application.

Sent: 10 January 2022 19:51
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

Hello Mike,

The problem in question is when I use the plugin 'Lookup Missing Census Facts' version 4.6, it gives a report.

If on the screen at the right hand I click on '...' it gives a drop down menu at the bottom of which is 'Close Microsoft Edge'.

I did try what you suggested and changed Internet Data Matches to 'External Web Browser' but still uses 'Edge'. But then I'm not doing a data match search.

Derek Kain

BillH

Mike,

I think the original web page is actually opening in Microsoft Edge.  On the far right in Edge there are three dots (...) which are similar to the three horizontal dots in Chrome.  If you click on those three dots, there is an option to Close Microsoft Edge near the bottom of the drop down list.

Why the original web page is opening in Edge is a different matter.  If I understand correctly it should only open in Edge if that is the default browser, but Derek indicated that that isn't the case. 

Bill

On Mon Jan 10 2022 13:04:41 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time) Mike Tate wrote:

1) FH Result Set (similar to a Query Result Set) with column headings No., Individual, Rec Id, Life Dates, Gen. Gap, etc.

2) Browser page (Google Chrome) with column headings No., ancestry.co.uk, findmypast.co.uk, familysearch.org, myheritage.com, etc.

But neither of them have ‘…’ on the right so I don’t know what you are clicking.

Please give me some more clues of what else is on the screen and whether it is inside FH or some other application.

Subject: Re: [family-historian] Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

Hello Mike,

Derek Kain

BillH

I meant to say:

On the far right in Edge there are three dots (...) which are similar to the three vertical dots in Chrome.

Bill

On Mon Jan 10 2022 13:17:51 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time) BillH via groups.io wrote:

Mike,

I think the original web page is actually opening in Microsoft Edge.  On the far right in Edge there are three dots (...) which are similar to the three horizontal dots in Chrome.  If you click on those three dots, there is an option to Close Microsoft Edge near the bottom of the drop down list.

Why the original web page is opening in Edge is a different matter.  If I understand correctly it should only open in Edge if that is the default browser, but Derek indicated that that isn't the case. 

Bill

Hello Mike,

Derek Kain

Mike Tate

Thanks, Bill.

I suspect Derek may be using Google Chrome by manually choosing to open it.

However, it is not set as the default browser as far as Windows is concerned.

With Google Chrome open, click the three vertical dots top right and then choose Settings.

In the Settings page choose Default browser on the left and then click Make default in the middle.

Alternatively, in Windows 10 use Start > Settings > Apps > Default apps

Scroll down to Web browser that probably has the Edge icon, then click on it and choose Google Chrome.

Now it should be your default browser instead of the Edge.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of BillH
Sent: 10 January 2022 21:20

I meant to say:

On the far right in Edge there are three dots (...) which are similar to the three vertical dots in Chrome.

Bill

On Mon Jan 10 2022 13:17:51 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time) BillH via groups.io wrote:

Mike,

Bill

Derek Kain

Hello BillH and Mike,
Yes I do have Google Chrome set as my prefered browser.
I also should point out that I use two screens. Chrome is shown in the second screen.
Family Historian is used in the first main screen.
I click on the TOOLS menu then PLUGINS. Open 'Lookup Missing Census Facts' and get 
image.png
Then click on Lookup Missing Census Facts. A list of records appears and I select the person I want. Click on OK. Then I get 
image.png
image.png
image.png
Are the above snips of Microsoft Edge or not?
I don't think I'm doing anything wrong except that something is not set up correctly and I cannot find out what?
Derek Kain

On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 at 22:06, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Thanks, Bill.

With Google Chrome open, click the three vertical dots top right and then choose Settings.

In the Settings page choose Default browser on the left and then click Make default in the middle.

Scroll down to Web browser that probably has the Edge icon, then click on it and choose Google Chrome.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of BillH
Sent: 10 January 2022 21:20

I meant to say:

Bill

Mike,

Bill

Mike Tate

Sorry Derek, but although you say Google Chrome is your ‘preferred’ browser, I don’t think it is set as the Windows default browser.

You say that something is not set up correctly and cannot find out what. Well, I gave you the steps to find out.

Have you performed either of those steps I provided to check Google Chrome is the Windows default browser?

You may have set that in the past, but Windows Updates have a habit of resetting that to the Edge.

That is especially true with the recent changes to the Edge that Microsoft want you to use.

So please just follow the steps I have given and let me know how you get on.

Sent: 11 January 2022 09:18

Hello BillH and Mike,

I also should point out that I use two screens. Chrome is shown in the second screen.

I click on the TOOLS menu then PLUGINS. Open 'Lookup Missing Census Facts' and get 

Then click on Lookup Missing Census Facts. A list of records appears and I select the person I want. Click on OK. Then I get 

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong except that something is not set up correctly and I cannot find out what?

Derek Kain

Thanks, Bill.

Derek Kain

Hello Mike,
Yes, I still set the default browser  Google Chrome.
image.png
I appreciate all your help but it's certainly baffling me. Also causing me some irritation. Have looked at Microsoft help but that mainly refers to something about Office 365? Cannot find the help I need.
Derek Kain

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 10:22, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Sorry Derek, but although you say Google Chrome is your ‘preferred’ browser, I don’t think it is set as the Windows default browser.

You say that something is not set up correctly and cannot find out what. Well, I gave you the steps to find out.

Have you performed either of those steps I provided to check Google Chrome is the Windows default browser?

You may have set that in the past, but Windows Updates have a habit of resetting that to the Edge.

That is especially true with the recent changes to the Edge that Microsoft want you to use.

So please just follow the steps I have given and let me know how you get on.

Sent: 11 January 2022 09:18

Hello BillH and Mike,

Derek Kain

Thanks, Bill.

Mike Tate

OK,

Despite that setting, it is still possible for Microsoft Edge to be the default for specific file types such as .html that the Plugin uses.

At the very bottom of the list in your screenshot, there is an option to ‘Choose default applications by file type’.

Click that and wait for the list to populate, then scroll down to .html HTML Document where I suspect Microsoft Edge is listed.

Please confirm that is what you find so we know the cause of the problem. Click that and change it to Google Chrome.

Alternatively, back in the Default apps list, click on ‘Web browser’ Google Chrome and choose Google Chrome again.

That should reset all the appropriate applications by file type to use Google Chrome instead of Microsoft Edge.

You may need to repeat that reset from time to time.

Sent: 11 January 2022 11:32

Hello Mike,

I appreciate all your help but it's certainly baffling me. Also causing me some irritation. Have looked at Microsoft help but that mainly refers to something about Office 365? Cannot find the help I need.

Derek Kain

Derek Kain

Hello Mike,
Success. The records are showing in Google Chrome. The solution was the Default apps list. Changed every app that used Edge to Chrome.
Now I can get on with my genealogy.
Thank you again for your persistent help.
Will make a big note of this one and check it out regularly.
As you have said Microsoft has a tendency to try to overpower the user?
Derek Kain

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 12:47, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

OK,

Despite that setting, it is still possible for Microsoft Edge to be the default for specific file types such as .html that the Plugin uses.

At the very bottom of the list in your screenshot, there is an option to ‘Choose default applications by file type’.

Click that and wait for the list to populate, then scroll down to .html HTML Document where I suspect Microsoft Edge is listed.

Please confirm that is what you find so we know the cause of the problem. Click that and change it to Google Chrome.

Alternatively, back in the Default apps list, click on ‘Web browser’ Google Chrome and choose Google Chrome again.

That should reset all the appropriate applications by file type to use Google Chrome instead of Microsoft Edge.

You may need to repeat that reset from time to time.

Sent: 11 January 2022 11:32

Hello Mike,

Derek Kain

Neil Grantham

As an aside, don't know what is annoying you about Edge, Derek, but it is interesting to note that both Edge and Chrome, are build on the same Chromium browser code.
--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow, Birchall.

Derek Kain

Hello Neil,
What was annoying me was that I had Google Chrome open as usual along with  Family History and FindMyPast open in chrome.
Then I ran a plugin which decided to use Edge. Meaning I now have two browsers open and have to jump between the two.
It may not have annoyed you but it does me when it is doing it with other plugins and other programs.
I'm not  interested in whether they both use the same browser code, just the annoyance of Microsoft Edge sticking its nose in when I never asked it to.
But it has now got sorted out and I'm happy.
Derek Kain

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 15:41, Neil Grantham via groups.io <neil40=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
As an aside, don't know what is annoying you about Edge, Derek, but it is interesting to note that both Edge and Chrome, are build on the same Chromium browser code.
--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

Neil Grantham

It was just an observation.

Unless you change your default browser as Mike directed you, this will always happen, as there is a big difference between 'preferred' and 'default'

The former is what you choose to browse with and the latter what will open from plugins, links etc. as that's what Windows knows to use until you change it.

Your annoyance would be compounded if you worked for the NHS as many online applications they use are coded to work with Edge, so the option to change default is disabled!!

Best Wishes

Neil

Sent via BT Email App

Sent: Jan 11, 2022 at 6:11 PM
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

Hello Neil,
What was annoying me was that I had Google Chrome open as usual along with  Family History and FindMyPast open in chrome.
Then I ran a plugin which decided to use Edge. Meaning I now have two browsers open and have to jump between the two.
It may not have annoyed you but it does me when it is doing it with other plugins and other programs.
I'm not  interested in whether they both use the same browser code, just the annoyance of Microsoft Edge sticking its nose in when I never asked it to.
Derek Kain

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 15:41, Neil Grantham via groups.io <neil40=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

Mike Tate

The point that Neil has overlooked is that you are signed in to FindMyPast (FMP) in Google Chrome.

If the plugin opens the Edge, the FMP searches won’t work because you are not signed in to FMP in the Edge.

It is nothing to do with rendering engines or the Edge itself being annoying.

It is the practicalities of the sign in being associated with a specific browser.

Sent: 11 January 2022 18:11

Hello Neil,

Derek Kain

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

Derek Kain

Hello Neil,
I wish to point out that Mike gave me a lot of advice, most of which I had already done. The default browser has been set for Chrome for over a year.
Where I used the word 'preferred' was not meant to be. Not being too well, I had used the incorrect word for that phrase.
All the comments you are making seem to be irrelevant now unless you have nothing better to do. Why bring the NHS into it?
Derek

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 18:37, Neil Grantham via groups.io <neil40=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Unless you change your default browser as Mike directed you, this will always happen, as there is a big difference between 'preferred' and 'default'

The former is what you choose to browse with and the latter what will open from plugins, links etc. as that's what Windows knows to use until you change it.

Your annoyance would be compounded if you worked for the NHS as many online applications they use are coded to work with Edge, so the option to change default is disabled!!

Best Wishes

Neil

Sent via BT Email App

Tofamily-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Non use of default browser but uses microsoft browser

Hello Neil,
Derek Kain

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

Mike Tate

Superficially, Derek did have Google Chrome set as the Windows default browser according to the settings.

But if you read the thread, Microsoft had sneakily set the Edge as the app for the .html file type as an exception.

When that was reset all was well.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Neil Grantham via groups.io
Sent: 11 January 2022 18:37

Best Wishes

Neil

Sent via BT Email App

Tofamily-historian@groups.io

Hello Neil,

Derek Kain

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

Derek Kain

Hello Mike,
Your comments just received are appreciated and appropriate.
Some readers do tend to miss some of the comments made and some take things literally.
I found a lot of writers to this and others come to that, write as they think and do not always put down exactly what they meant to.
Should that be held against them. I think not.
Anyway, everything is sorted now for me. You all have a nice Easter.
Maybe I'll have another problem to sort out by then. Neil, you can then help from the beginning.
Derek

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 19:04, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

The point that Neil has overlooked is that you are signed in to FindMyPast (FMP) in Google Chrome.

If the plugin opens the Edge, the FMP searches won’t work because you are not signed in to FMP in the Edge.

It is nothing to do with rendering engines or the Edge itself being annoying.

It is the practicalities of the sign in being associated with a specific browser.

Sent: 11 January 2022 18:11

Neil Grantham

My apologies Derek, I didn't mean to offend in any way, I was making observations on similarities of the two browsers and the annoyances of users who like yourself prefer to use a none MS browser.

I obviously didn't know your health situation, and hope you are felling better soon. I only bought the NHS in to it as I am an IT Engineer supporting GP surgeries and the use of browsers is a hot topic.

Best Wishes

Neil.

------ Original Message ------
Sent: Tuesday, 11 Jan, 2022 At 19:04

Hello Neil,
I wish to point out that Mike gave me a lot of advice, most of which I had already done. The default browser has been set for Chrome for over a year.
Where I used the word 'preferred' was not meant to be. Not being too well, I had used the incorrect word for that phrase.
All the comments you are making seem to be irrelevant now unless you have nothing better to do. Why bring the NHS into it?
Derek

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 18:37, Neil Grantham via groups.io <neil40=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Best Wishes

Neil

Sent via BT Email App

Sent: Jan 11, 2022 at 6:11 PM

Hello Neil,
What was annoying me was that I had Google Chrome open as usual along with Family History and FindMyPast open in chrome.
I'm not interested in whether they both use the same browser code, just the annoyance of Microsoft Edge sticking its nose in when I never asked it to.
Derek Kain

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7