moderated New User Group #new

Derek Heritage

If you were on my list you might have seen that someone suggested a separate Group on Groups.io, say family-historian-new-users@groups.io.
I'm not sure how set about it, but let me start by saying "What do you think?"
Derek Heritage

Brian Horridge

Derek
I think having 2 levels of group might not work as people may be more skilled in some topics but less so in others so will probably end up on both.
I can see a benefit of a separate group relating to the Zoom meetings.
Brian

Sent via BT Email App

Sent: 20 October 2022 16:31:09 BST
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] New User Group #new

If you were on my list you might have seen that someone suggested a separate Group on Groups.io, say family-historian-new-users@groups.io.
Derek Heritage

Richard Scantlebury

To set up a group Derek you’ll need to visit https://groups.io/groups

After that you’ll have to manage & administer your group

Best wishes and Kind regards

Rich Scantlebury

In global pursuit of Scantleburys & Skentelberys for a one name study - 3209

http://scantlebury.one-name.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/richscats/

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Derek Heritage
Sent: Thursday, 20 October 2022 16:31

Derek Heritage

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

One concern I would have is that, the more places there are to ask for help, the more confused newcomers will be about the best place to ask, and the more stretched people will be answering requests for help.

We already have:

• this mailing list:  “a forum where users of the genealogy software program, Family Historian, can discuss aspects of the program, new users can post questions and ask advice, and experienced users of Family Historian can share their knowledge and give tips.”
  • FHUG:  “If you are a beginner or a more experienced user FHUG exists to help you get more from Family Historian.”
  • The FHUG Facebook group: “This group is for the users of the Family Historian genealogy software. This group is not intended to replace the main Family Historian Users Group website, forum and Knowledgebase but aims to promote the Users Group.”

They all cover broadly the same ground, but use different platforms, so that those with a preference for email or FaceBook or forums can find a place that works for them.  They’re also open to anyone to read, so that lurkers can be helped by questions that others have asked.

How would you differentiate any new group from those? Recruit new members? Attract people with more experience to help?

Or is it intended to be a closed group for people who attend the Zoom sessions, just to chat outside the sessions?

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Derek Heritage
Sent: 20 October 2022 16:31

Derek Heritage

_._,_._,_

Paul Tanner-Tremaine

I agree with colevalleygirl.  I don't think we need a new mail forum.  I have seen in the past, that users have asked the same question in all 3 'channels', and it gets a bit messy when an answer to the issue is responded to on one channel, and meanwhile you are writing the same answer on one of the others!  If it a closed group limited to the attendees of the Zoom sessions, it may work, but not for general public consumption.

David Burgess

Hi

You make some good points, which have concerned me as well.

As I see it, the Zoom sessions are for interactive face-to-face presentations and discussions.  It also enables a speaker to display what is on their screen.  This is a helpful medium that might be more appropriate than email.

We then need to communicate about what is coming up on Zoom and maybe deal with follow-up queries on what went on at the Zoom session.  Should that be done using a new group as Derek has proposed or through the existing e-mail facility?

I think the Zoom sessions are worth a try and I have paid my £5 accordingly.  Our emails about it have been clogging up the family-historian group messages, which should be concerned about specific queries and answers and not about process.

Hope I haven't muddied the water.

Regards

David Burgess

On 20/10/2022 17:24, colevalleygirl@... wrote:

One concern I would have is that, the more places there are to ask for help, the more confused newcomers will be about the best place to ask, and the more stretched people will be answering requests for help.

We already have:

• this mailing list:  “a forum where users of the genealogy software program, Family Historian, can discuss aspects of the program, new users can post questions and ask advice, and experienced users of Family Historian can share their knowledge and give tips.”
  • FHUG:  “If you are a beginner or a more experienced user FHUG exists to help you get more from Family Historian.”
  • The FHUG Facebook group: “This group is for the users of the Family Historian genealogy software. This group is not intended to replace the main Family Historian Users Group website, forum and Knowledgebase but aims to promote the Users Group.”

They all cover broadly the same ground, but use different platforms, so that those with a preference for email or FaceBook or forums can find a place that works for them.  They’re also open to anyone to read, so that lurkers can be helped by questions that others have asked.

How would you differentiate any new group from those? Recruit new members? Attract people with more experience to help?

Or is it intended to be a closed group for people who attend the Zoom sessions, just to chat outside the sessions?

Derek Heritage

-- 
David Burgess

As I see it, the Zoom sessions are for interactive face-to-face presentations and discussions.  It also enables a speaker to display what is on their screen.  This is a helpful medium that might be more appropriate than email.

Yes, they could plug a gap (for visual learners) that the other channels don't address -- if they work well.

Vyger

“One concern I would have is that, the more places there are to ask for help, the more confused newcomers will be about the best place to ask, and the more stretched people will be answering requests for help”

I agree with colevalleygirl

Jackson

From: family-historian@groups.io [mailto:family-historian@groups.io] On Behalf Of colevalleygirl@...
Sent: 20 October 2022 17:24
Subject: Re: [family-historian] New User Group #new

We already have:

Derek Heritage

Kenneth Funk

On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 11:24 AM, colevalleygirl@... wrote:
The FHUG Facebook group:
Have you ever asked a question in the Facebook group?  It is pretty much pointless to do so because the majority of the questions get referred to the FHUG forum.  The forums have an issue or two of their own, so another platform isn't likely to cause too much of a problem, especially if the forum problems get cleared up by doing so.

Mike Tate

Kenneth,

Would you care to reveal what you believe the FHUG Forum problems are please.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Kenneth Funk
Sent: 20 October 2022 20:39
Subject: Re: [family-historian] New User Group #new

On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 11:24 AM, colevalleygirl@... wrote:

The FHUG Facebook group:

Have you ever asked a question in the Facebook group?  It is pretty much pointless to do so because the majority of the questions get referred to the FHUG forum.  The forums have an issue or two of their own, so another platform isn't likely to cause too much of a problem, especially if the forum problems get cleared up by doing so.

Re Facebook, since it was set up to promote fhug, is that a surprise? FB is also an awful venue for giving more than one line answers.

For other context the fb membership is half the size of this mailing list  
Which is in turn a fifth of the size of fhug.
Given that experienced users only have the same number of hours in the day as everyone else and are outnumbered by those asking questions i suspect fb will always be the poor relation.

You.and i have corresponded offline about perceived issues with the KnowledgeBase and other matters but I'm unclear about how yet another channel likely to get even less attention than fb will help.

Martin Budd

I have found that there are too many "me too" hence I use Mute this Topic a lot. If experts get the same way then there will be less help, not more.

This group should be question, answer, end and not 200+ mails of discussion/dissent.  If you need to discuss or ponder then take it off line and do it privately. I found the original process which was as I described very useful but now it is nothing but hot air and wind and the gems are lost in the dross. 

Possibly the first hint of advice is RTFM, followed by search the forum archives. There is little here that hasn't been dealt either a hundred times but people are too bone idle to look for themselves and find it easier to ask others to do the leg work gor them.

RAnt over do flame away.,. It will all get muted.

Graham Ward

I don't think we should add yet another channel for the same product, especially when we already have one on groups.io. Personally, I would prefer if all discussion of FH was on FHUG and places like FB were just a 'page' rather than a 'group', although I would rather not be on FB at all. Otherwise, it's confusing for users and a further drain on volunteer resources.

If there is a need for a sub-group why not just add a board to the FHUG Forum?

Graham

Everyone has different ways of learning I'd rather people asked than struggled and it isnt always easy to search when you don't know the jargon. I even struggle with the Help file at times and ive been using the product since its first commercial release.

Edward Sneithe

Kenneth,

I don't do FB because I think it is a very sub optimal format for helping people. I find FHUG much more useful and responsive

On Thursday, October 20, 2022 at 05:18:35 PM EDT, colevalleygirl@... <colevalleygirl@...> wrote:

Everyone has different ways of learning I'd rather people asked than struggled and it isnt always easy to search when you don't know the jargon. I even struggle with the Help file at times and ive been using the product since its first commercial release.

Derek Heritage

Well, someone asked so I thought that I should raise the question.
I certainly won't be setting one up and I suggest this is the finish of this topic!
Derek

Bob Hunter

The reason why we don't "just add a board to the FHUG Forum" is clearly demonstrated in this conversation. FHUG is dominated by "experts" who like explaining the complications of Family Historian to other experts, who have forgotten how to talk in simple terms and who like finding reasons "Why Not".
I must say the whole thing is very depressing and I am encouraged to NOT use FH.

MichaelM

Not my experience at all of the wonderfully committed volunteers on the forum who spend untold hours patiently helping other users, many of whom are new to the program. They deserve our hearty thanks for the unsung work they so kindly do. 

Michael 

On 21 Oct 2022, at 00:34, Bob Hunter <rmwhunter@...> wrote:

The reason why we don't "just add a board to the FHUG Forum" is clearly demonstrated in this conversation. FHUG is dominated by "experts" who like explaining the complications of Family Historian to other experts, who have forgotten how to talk in simple terms and who like finding reasons "Why Not".
I must say the whole thing is very depressing and I am encouraged to NOT use FH.

waltonnz

Well said Michael. I totally agree with you. I've been helped so many times and feel so grateful to all those dedicated volunteers.
Patricia

On Fri, 21 Oct 2022 at 15:53, MichaelM <michael@...> wrote:
Not my experience at all of the wonderfully committed volunteers on the forum who spend untold hours patiently helping other users, many of whom are new to the program. They deserve our hearty thanks for the unsung work they so kindly do. 

Michael 

Sue Paul

I have to add my voice to Michael and Patricia. I have received so much help by the experienced members on this forum who invariably answer any query quickly. The help they provide is greatly appreciated by me and, I am sure, by the vast majority of other members.

Sue

Sue

On Fri, 21 Oct 2022 at 05:10, waltonnz <walton.patricia@...> wrote:
Well said Michael. I totally agree with you. I've been helped so many times and feel so grateful to all those dedicated volunteers.
Patricia

On Fri, 21 Oct 2022 at 15:53, MichaelM <michael@...> wrote:

Michael