New to Family Historian

Derek Heritage

When I've asked questions, there have been a number of comments from others who said they were also new to FH. I'm wondering whether it would be worth having a zoom meeting say monthly or even weekly where questions could be asked and knowledge shared?
If so, which days are best and which times? For reference I'm in  England.

liz_graydon

I would be interested be cause I only use version 6 in a very limited way.  Thinking to upgrade to version 7.

Tuesday or Friday evenings or Wednesday mornings best for me.

On Saturday, 15 October 2022 at 11:20:34 BST, Derek Heritage <heritage-family@...> wrote:

When I've asked questions, there have been a number of comments from others who said they were also new to FH. I'm wondering whether it would be worth having a zoom meeting say monthly or even weekly where questions could be asked and knowledge shared?
If so, which days are best and which times? For reference I'm in  England.

Bob Hunter

A weekly Zoom meeting might be stretching it a bit, but monthly is a good idea, especially if it was supported by a specific Facebook/WhatsApp/GroupsIO chat space. I find many of the "Help" articles and the "Knowledge Base" pages are too "expert" for me - they are written by experts for experts - and it would be good to get answers written by beginners for beginners. Mornings or Evenings, UK time would be best for me, afternoons are spent looking after the next generation (aka grandchildren) rather than searching for previous generations

MichaelM

Yes, would very much be interested in regular Zoom sessions, perhaps monthly.  I’m in the UK too, and could make any day and any reasonable UK-friendly  time.

Michael

On 15 Oct 2022, at 11:20, Derek Heritage <heritage-family@...> wrote:

When I've asked questions, there have been a number of comments from others who said they were also new to FH. I'm wondering whether it would be worth having a zoom meeting say monthly or even weekly where questions could be asked and knowledge shared?
If so, which days are best and which times? For reference I'm in  England.

Trevor Rix

Yes, that's a good suggestion.

David Gynes

I would welcome a monthly Zoom meeting, especially if it is recorded and made available through FHUG or YouTube for those unable to tune in to the live transmission.
I have been using FH since it was launched (v2) but got left behind around V4 and the bells and whistles of V7 are beyond this non-computer savvy user in his ninth decade.

I still think FH is the best programme ever and recommend it to all and sundry at every opportunity.

If I could work out how to use sources in the simple way it used to function I’d be happy (I know - it’s on FHUG but I’m too dim to master it!). I learn better by seeing it than reading about it.
David G.

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#5734) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [specbear@...]

_._,_._,_

Gary Forget

I’m in British Columbia so a monthly meeting with a predominantly UK group might not work for me but if it is taped and I can view later I’m okay with that. Like many others using sources and citations is a challenge and the help guides are way above my literacy rste of comprehension.

Gary

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

Yes, also the FHUG pages are very comprehensive but simple they are not.  Probably simple for a  experienced user and probably written by an experienced user too but I'm struggling to understanding it whilst getting to grips with migrating to a new laptop at the moment.   I think my current health is playing some part in this.  Like you, I am better seeing it than reading about it.  Mike is being very helpful and I hope to pluck up courage to do it over the next couple of days.

On Saturday, 15 October 2022 at 22:52:22 BST, David Gynes via groups.io <specbear@...> wrote:

I would welcome a monthly Zoom meeting, especially if it is recorded and made available through FHUG or YouTube for those unable to tune in to the live transmission.
I have been using FH since it was launched (v2) but got left behind around V4 and the bells and whistles of V7 are beyond this non-computer savvy user in his ninth decade.

I still think FH is the best programme ever and recommend it to all and sundry at every opportunity.

If I could work out how to use sources in the simple way it used to function I’d be happy (I know - it’s on FHUG but I’m too dim to master it!). I learn better by seeing it than reading about it.
David G.

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#5734) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [specbear@...]

fay@...

I’m in Australia and would appreciate a monthly meeting

Fay

I’m in British Columbia so a monthly meeting with a predominantly UK group might not work for me but if it is taped and I can view later I’m okay with that. Like many others using sources and citations is a challenge and the help guides are way above my literacy rste of comprehension.

Gary

Sent from Mail for Windows

Paul Gaskell

Would 9.00pm this Friday evening (21 October 2022) work for you and for everyone else ?

It will be mid-afternoon in the USA etc, so that will be reasonable except for those who work. It will be evening in Europe. Might not work well for those in Asia, but I am not aware that anyone living in Asia has expressed an interest. For you in Australia, I guess - depending in what part of the country you are based in - it might be 8.00am or thereabouts on Saturday morning.

If that works for you and if there isn’t any dissent from anyone else, I will post a link onto the list in a day or so and we’ll see what happens.

Best wishes.

Paul