New to Family Historian

Derek Heritage

When I've asked questions, there have been a number of comments from others who said they were also new to FH. I'm wondering whether it would be worth having a zoom meeting say monthly or even weekly where questions could be asked and knowledge shared?
If so, which days are best and which times? For reference I'm in  England.

liz_graydon

I would be interested be cause I only use version 6 in a very limited way.  Thinking to upgrade to version 7.

Tuesday or Friday evenings or Wednesday mornings best for me.

On Saturday, 15 October 2022 at 11:20:34 BST, Derek Heritage <heritage-family@...> wrote:

When I've asked questions, there have been a number of comments from others who said they were also new to FH. I'm wondering whether it would be worth having a zoom meeting say monthly or even weekly where questions could be asked and knowledge shared?

Bob Hunter

A weekly Zoom meeting might be stretching it a bit, but monthly is a good idea, especially if it was supported by a specific Facebook/WhatsApp/GroupsIO chat space. I find many of the "Help" articles and the "Knowledge Base" pages are too "expert" for me - they are written by experts for experts - and it would be good to get answers written by beginners for beginners. Mornings or Evenings, UK time would be best for me, afternoons are spent looking after the next generation (aka grandchildren) rather than searching for previous generations

MichaelM

Yes, would very much be interested in regular Zoom sessions, perhaps monthly.  I’m in the UK too, and could make any day and any reasonable UK-friendly  time.

Michael 

On 15 Oct 2022, at 11:20, Derek Heritage <heritage-family@...> wrote:

Trevor Rix

Yes, that's a good suggestion.

David Gynes

I would welcome a monthly Zoom meeting, especially if it is recorded and made available through FHUG or YouTube for those unable to tune in to the live transmission.
I have been using FH since it was launched (v2) but got left behind around V4 and the bells and whistles of V7 are beyond this non-computer savvy user in his ninth decade.

I still think FH is the best programme ever and recommend it to all and sundry at every opportunity.  

If I could work out how to use sources in the simple way it used to function I’d be happy (I know - it’s on FHUG but I’m too dim to master it!). I learn better by seeing it than reading about it.
David G.

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#5734) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [specbear@...]

_._,_._,_

Gary Forget

I’m in British Columbia so a monthly meeting with a predominantly UK group might not work for me but if it is taped and I can view later I’m okay with that. Like many others using sources and citations is a challenge and the help guides are way above my literacy rste of comprehension.

Gary

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: Saturday, October 15, 2022 2:52 PM
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] New to Family Historian

I would welcome a monthly Zoom meeting, especially if it is recorded and made available through FHUG or YouTube for those unable to tune in to the live transmission.

I have been using FH since it was launched (v2) but got left behind around V4 and the bells and whistles of V7 are beyond this non-computer savvy user in his ninth decade.

I still think FH is the best programme ever and recommend it to all and sundry at every opportunity.  

If I could work out how to use sources in the simple way it used to function I’d be happy (I know - it’s on FHUG but I’m too dim to master it!). I learn better by seeing it than reading about it.

David G.

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#5734) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

liz_graydon

Yes, also the FHUG pages are very comprehensive but simple they are not.  Probably simple for a  experienced user and probably written by an experienced user too but I'm struggling to understanding it whilst getting to grips with migrating to a new laptop at the moment.   I think my current health is playing some part in this.  Like you, I am better seeing it than reading about it.  Mike is being very helpful and I hope to pluck up courage to do it over the next couple of days.

On Saturday, 15 October 2022 at 22:52:22 BST, David Gynes via groups.io <specbear@...> wrote:

David G.

Groups.io Links:

fay@...

I’m in Australia and would appreciate a monthly meeting

Fay

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gary Forget
Sent: Sunday, 16 October 2022 10:58 AM

I’m in British Columbia so a monthly meeting with a predominantly UK group might not work for me but if it is taped and I can view later I’m okay with that. Like many others using sources and citations is a challenge and the help guides are way above my literacy rste of comprehension.

Gary

Sent from Mail for Windows

Paul Gaskell

Would 9.00pm this Friday evening (21 October 2022) work for you and for everyone else ?

It will be mid-afternoon in the USA etc, so that will be reasonable except for those who work. It will be evening in Europe. Might not work well for those in Asia, but I am not aware that anyone living in Asia has expressed an interest. For you in Australia, I guess - depending in what part of the country you are based in - it might be 8.00am or thereabouts on Saturday morning.

If that works for you and if there isn’t any dissent from anyone else, I will post a link onto the list in a day or so and we’ll see what happens.

Best wishes.

Paul

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of fay@...
Sent: 16 October 2022 07:57

I’m in Australia and would appreciate a monthly meeting

Fay

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gary Forget
Sent: Sunday, 16 October 2022 10:58 AM

Gary

Sent from Mail for Windows_._,_._,_

Brian McBride

Yes, possibly a very good idea. And I still kick myself for not subscribing to a similar, but one off event, by someone from the Society of Genealogists, earlier this year.

I have had FH7 sitting on my device for nearly a year now and although I have initially downloaded a GEDCOM file from either my Ancestry or MyHeritage subscription, I still struggle to understand some of the many useful features the software can deliver. When I first purchased it from a reseller, I also paid a mall sum for twelve months support but never took advantage of it.

This week I was about to look for a local family history or genealogy group here in East Kent but my snag is the research is for my wife’s family and whilst we have access to primary sources etc we are dealing with places in 18th/19th Central Europe and family names with what we describe here as accents/cedillas (?).

Family tree now at 2,100 and I should have, to help our research, printed out record cards for each person but even though I found the location within reports, I had trouble formatting the card to what I was looking for and it would have helped by talking this one through with others. Perhaps any such meetings would be better if monthly along with a local group for region or county here in the UK?  

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

On Sun, Oct 16, 2022 at 09:23 AM, Paul Gaskell wrote:
If that works for you and if there isn’t any dissent from anyone else, I will post a link onto the list in a day or so and we’ll see what happens.
Bear in mind that this group is visible to the whole world, and ditto for any Zoom link you post here. You may want to think of a different mechanism for communicating the link?

Derek Heritage

I initiated this and would be prepared to host, but it would have to be U.K. time. The best evening for me would be Tuesday, around 7 pm, or a morning about 10 am. I know this would exclude Australia who might have to set up there own sessions.
I'm puzzled by Bob Hunter's comment for  "a specific Facebook/WhatsApp/GroupsIO chat space" There is already a Facebook group and this Group, in addition to the FHUG. There might even be a twitter group (though I don't use that)

Paul Gaskell

A morning is also of no use to those of us in full-time employment…..

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Derek Heritage
Sent: 16 October 2022 09:49

I initiated this and would be prepared to host, but it would have to be U.K. time. The best evening for me would be Tuesday, around 7 pm, or a morning about 10 am. I know this would exclude Australia who might have to set up there own sessions.
I'm puzzled by Bob Hunter's comment for  "a specific Facebook/WhatsApp/GroupsIO chat space" There is already a Facebook group and this Group, in addition to the FHUG. There might even be a twitter group (though I don't use that)

Derek Heritage

Paul Gaskell - Friday evening is no good for me. But you  could host your own session.

Paul Gaskell

That is fair comment. I had actually thought about gatecrashers and had discounted the risk. But maybe we should be prudent !

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of colevalleygirl@...
Sent: 16 October 2022 09:36

Bear in mind that this group is visible to the whole world, and ditto for any Zoom link you post here. You may want to think of a different mechanism for communicating the link?

_._,_._._,_._,_

stuartf443@...

I'm in the UK and, in principle, 9pm on a Friday would be fine for me. 

However, I have a prior engagement this Friday, which I cannot miss or postpone, so apologies on this occasion.

Best wishes.
Stuart

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 9:23

Would 9.00pm this Friday evening (21 October 2022) work for you and for everyone else ?

It will be mid-afternoon in the USA etc, so that will be reasonable except for those who work. It will be evening in Europe. Might not work well for those in Asia, but I am not aware that anyone living in Asia has expressed an interest. For you in Australia, I guess - depending in what part of the country you are based in - it might be 8.00am or thereabouts on Saturday morning.

Best wishes.

Paul

John Hanson

I am not trying to put a damper on this at all but there are a few things to be wary of if you are going down the zoom route (from someone who has done it for the sessions that we run for the Society of Genealogists)

If you are going to record it then (because of GDPR restriction and they vary from country to country) some people might not want to be recorded

Whose zoom are you using and does the licence allow for such an event?  

If you are using a real database then you need to make sure that you are not using living people. I have a database that I created for mine that does not include living people.

Regards

John Hanson FSG

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul Gaskell via groups.io
Sent: 16 October 2022 09:55

That is fair comment. I had actually thought about gatecrashers and had discounted the risk. But maybe we should be prudent !

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of colevalleygirl@...
Sent: 16 October 2022 09:36

Derek Heritage

John Hanson - I didn't know there was more than one zoom. If you mean whose name is it in, then i t's mine. If I did it I have a dummy database, which I use for trying out how things work. I believe  that Zoom allows up to 100 participants without a licence.
On another subject, I accidentally typed 7 pm, I meant 8 pm. Put it down to my cerebral palsy !

Bob Hunter

My point, Derek, is to have a chat space specifically associated with this Zoom meeting, A space and a Zoom Meeting run (as you suggested) by beginners for beginners. A side benefit of such a (private) space is that it would allow the distribution of links to the Zoom Meeting without compromising security.  My reason for supporting this suggestion for a Zoom meeting is that most of the conversations even here go well above my comprehension. I want a support space where people understand my lack of understanding and that is (in my view) best provided by people who share my lack of understanding.