New prospective user

michael fike

I am trying FH out on the 30 day trial as I am thinking of moving from my current software.  I like a lot of what I see.

I still have some source/citation cleanup to do either in my current software or in FH.

Is it possible in FH to replace one citation for another in mass?  A bulk change.

It is possible in my current software by accessing the database directly ... if your careful.

What I am trying to gage is what I should do in my current program before moving to the other.  A migration plan.

Thank you,

michael

Mike Tate

Hi Michael,

Yes, it is possible to make all manner of bulk changes in FH but will often need a Plugin to be written.

There is already a Plugin that will replace one Source record by another Source record for Citations that meet certain criteria.

So it partly depends on what you mean by a Citation.

Are you really bulk changing Citations or just swapping one Source record for another?

If you know how to do it in your current software then it may be best done there.

As a matter of interest, what software are you talking about?

Regards, Mike Tate

I am trying FH out on the 30 day trial as I am thinking of moving from my current software.  I like a lot of what I see.

I still have some source/citation cleanup to do either in my current software or in FH.

Is it possible in FH to replace one citation for another in mass?  A bulk change.

It is possible in my current software by accessing the database directly ... if your careful.

What I am trying to gage is what I should do in my current program before moving to the other.  A migration plan.

Thank you,

michael

michael fike

Thanks for the reply Mike.

Rootsmagic is my current software.  I do make changes to the RM database via SQL.

I am leaning to cleanup the sources in RM as there will be a learning curve in just using FM let alone learning the addin language and syntax.

In most cases it would be swapping one source for another.

I have more learning and understanding before I take any steps.

Thank you,
michael

Mike Tate

There are quite a few RM migrants using FH so there is plenty of advice.

RM is also being used as a gateway to synchronise with Ancestry.

As I said, there already is a Plugin in FH for swapping Source records.

Mike Tate

Rootsmagic is my current software.  I do make changes to the RM database via SQL.

I am leaning to cleanup the sources in RM as there will be a learning curve in just using FM let alone learning the addin language and syntax.

In most cases it would be swapping one source for another.

I have more learning and understanding before I take any steps.

Thank you,
michael

Leslie P

Hi Michael! I'm also in trial phase prior to converting from RM7 to FH7. Most of the things on my "clean up before migrating" list have become "clean up after migrating" because I'm finding that FH is so VASTLY superior to RM in terms of both viewing and modifying the database that it's not even fair to compare. Or, I can just make something not even export from RM in the first place, so I don't have to worry about it.

For example, I was concerned about my old Reference Numbers from a thing I did years ago. I deleted a bunch of them, one at a time, in RM. Then realized I could either delete it all in one fell swoop in an FH query, or I can just set that fact not to export to GEDCOM. Problem solved. Done.

Next I had an item about fixing up burial dates to make sure they were "after death date" rather than blank. Then I discovered the "timeline" aspect of facts in FH - it's set to always show burial facts "after death date", so they automatically show in the right order without me doing a dang thing.

In short, there's not a lot we need to do in RM before bringing it over to FH, once we're in FH (and have the full version so we can use plugins) I think we'll be able to manage our data in some pretty outstanding ways.

A lot to learn, of course, and we all use the product in different ways. What I'm doing is exporting from RM (with RM specific data), importing into FH, having a look see, making some notes of things I want to clean up a bit in RM primarily because I know how to do it in RM, and then doing another export-import go and looking at something new to tweak.

michael fike

Thanks for the input.  I have several citations that are bad from the time I migrated from TMG to RM that needs fixing.  With RM8 now able to merge citations, I can merge them, fix all in one fell swoop, and import to FH.

Those are the only RM fixes I am planning right now.  Soooo much to learn before I make any other decisions.

Right now I am evaluating lumping vs splitting (  again! :-)  ).  With AS and plugins, I am rethinking strategy.

So, I am entering data in a throw away project ( real work in RM7 ) until I understand more about everything.