New laptop and upgrading to v7

liz_graydon

Is if best to upgrade to v7 on my old laptop and make sure it works there first or is it better to put v6 on the new laptop with my existing settings, import my data and then update.  
Thank you 

Liz

Mike Tate

Hi Liz,

I assume that you are going to stop using your old laptop with FH after the migration.

In that case, I suggest you perform the migration with FH V6 first.

You are familiar with its settings so it will be easier to check the migration has gone well.

See the FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide’:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-copy-and-migration-guide/

Note that FH Project Backups do NOT include your custom settings.

Also, FH V7 is strict about the machines it is licenced/installed on.

If you install FH V7 on the old laptop and again on the new laptop you will have used the 2 licences.

Whenever you need to install FH V7 on another laptop in the future it would be more complicated.

Regards, Mike Tate

liz_graydon

On Saturday, 25 June 2022, 15:18:06 BST, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Hi Liz,

I assume that you are going to stop using your old laptop with FH after the migration.

In that case, I suggest you perform the migration with FH V6 first.

You are familiar with its settings so it will be easier to check the migration has gone well.

See the FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide’:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-copy-and-migration-guide/

Note that FH Project Backups do NOT include your custom settings.

Also, FH V7 is strict about the machines it is licenced/installed on.

If you install FH V7 on the old laptop and again on the new laptop you will have used the 2 licences.

Whenever you need to install FH V7 on another laptop in the future it would be more complicated.

Regards, Mike Tate

Frank Jenkins

Mike
I was really interested to read your reply to Liz about the use of the license for FH being restricted to just 2 laptops. I am fairly new to FH and have set it up on two home PC's as an extra backup copy. It had been my intention to share my FH research with other members of my own family. Is this not possible? Can I buy extra license copies or is there another way around this?
Many thanks
Frank

Mike Tate

Hi Frank,

As with most purchased software, there are licence terms & conditions.

For example, you no doubt know that most Microsoft products are restricted to the devices they are allowed to be installed on.

Calico Pie have always limited personal use of FH to two devices. Prior to FH V7 that was largely on trust.

Installation required a licence key that users habitually had forgotten when needing to reinstall FH.

So FH V7 has a new online licencing account system that manages the copies installed.

See the installation guide at https://www.family-historian.co.uk/install7

If you check your FH V7 purchase order Email it will say something like:

“Licence is non-transferable, perpetual.  Permits up to two simultaneous device installations for personal use.

Subject to the terms of the End User Licence Agreement which is displayed when you install the software.

Please keep a copy of this email for your records. You may need the information contained in it in the future.”

The End User Licence Agreement is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Family Historian\Program\Licence.txt

It can also be found online at https://www.family-historian.co.uk/licence-agreements

An important restriction is the underlined section below:

“Unless your licence explicitly specifies otherwise, it is for personal use only, which means that an additional condition for installing or activating the Software on more than one device (if permitted at all) is that all such devices must be owned, kept and used by you, and no more than one person may use the Software at any one time.”

So that imposes limits on the use of FH by other members of your family, especially if you do not own & keep all the devices and more than one person wants to use FH at the same time. In that case, they will have to purchase their own licenced copies of FH.

However, there are other ways of sharing your family history research that may not require FH.

I assume that your other family members are not actually performing any research but just want to see your Project database.

In that case, you can send Diagrams &/or Reports in PDF format, or your Project can be put online for free in Ancestry, FindMyPast, ZoomPast, etc.

BTW: You do not need to install a second copy of the FH program to maintain backup copies of your Project, etc.

There is advice on all the above topics in the FHUG Knowledge Base at https://fhug.org.uk/kb/

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Frank Jenkins
Sent: 30 June 2022 08:28
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] New laptop and upgrading to v7

Mike

I was really interested to read your reply to Liz about the use of the license for FH being restricted to just 2 laptops. I am fairly new to FH and have set it up on two home PC's as an extra backup copy. It had been my intention to share my FH research with other members of my own family. Is this not possible? Can I buy extra license copies or is there another way around this?

Many thanks

Frank

Frank Jenkins

Mike
Super, thank you.
Very helpful indeed
Frank

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 10:56 AM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Hi Frank,

For example, you no doubt know that most Microsoft products are restricted to the devices they are allowed to be installed on.

Calico Pie have always limited personal use of FH to two devices. Prior to FH V7 that was largely on trust.

Installation required a licence key that users habitually had forgotten when needing to reinstall FH.

So FH V7 has a new online licencing account system that manages the copies installed.

“Licence is non-transferable, perpetual.  Permits up to two simultaneous device installations for personal use.

Subject to the terms of the End User Licence Agreement which is displayed when you install the software.

Please keep a copy of this email for your records. You may need the information contained in it in the future.”

The End User Licence Agreement is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Family Historian\Program\Licence.txt

It can also be found online at https://www.family-historian.co.uk/licence-agreements

“Unless your licence explicitly specifies otherwise, it is for personal use only, which means that an additional condition for installing or activating the Software on more than one device (if permitted at all) is that all such devices must be owned, kept and used by you, and no more than one person may use the Software at any one time.”

So that imposes limits on the use of FH by other members of your family, especially if you do not own & keep all the devices and more than one person wants to use FH at the same time. In that case, they will have to purchase their own licenced copies of FH.

However, there are other ways of sharing your family history research that may not require FH.

I assume that your other family members are not actually performing any research but just want to see your Project database.

In that case, you can send Diagrams &/or Reports in PDF format, or your Project can be put online for free in Ancestry, FindMyPast, ZoomPast, etc.

BTW: You do not need to install a second copy of the FH program to maintain backup copies of your Project, etc.

There is advice on all the above topics in the FHUG Knowledge Base at https://fhug.org.uk/kb/

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Frank Jenkins

Mike

Many thanks

Frank

Vyger

Frank,

Export a Gedcom file periodically and email to your friends and family, images are not contained within a Gedcom, just file links so the files are relatively small.

Advantages are they can import into a program of their choice, there are many free restricted options out there. Yes there will be some losses in detail but the structure of the families will be remain intact for the receiving parties.

I have FH7 on desktop and laptop, I would so miss the opportunity to also have FH on the laptop so thankfully that is permitted. Backup (or Gedcom export) to Dropbox is another option where a shared folder with friends could also be a route to sharing FH data. Your friends/family would need to have a licenced copy of FH to restore an FH backup but could import a Gedcom to any program.

Hope this helps,

Jackson

On Thu, 30 Jun 2022, 14:29 Frank Jenkins, <franktjenkins@...> wrote:
Mike
Super, thank you.
Very helpful indeed
Frank

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 10:56 AM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Hi Frank,

Regards, Mike Tate

Mike

Many thanks

Frank

Mike Tate

Jackson,

If you know what product your friends and family use then the Export Gedcom File plugin will produce a tailored GEDCOM for them.

As you say there are plenty of suitable free products not just for Windows but other devices too.

An FH Project Backup is simply a standard compressed ZIP file under another name.

It can be extracted to obtain the GEDCOM file and associated Media that can be imported into many other products and not just FH.

One potential ‘snag’ is customised facts & witnesses that need the Fact Set definitions for them to be displayed correctly.

That does need FH and the accompanying customised settings files.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Vyger
Sent: 30 June 2022 15:16

Frank,

Export a Gedcom file periodically and email to your friends and family, images are not contained within a Gedcom, just file links so the files are relatively small.

Advantages are they can import into a program of their choice, there are many free restricted options out there. Yes there will be some losses in detail but the structure of the families will be remain intact for the receiving parties.

I have FH7 on desktop and laptop, I would so miss the opportunity to also have FH on the laptop so thankfully that is permitted. Backup (or Gedcom export) to Dropbox is another option where a shared folder with friends could also be a route to sharing FH data. Your friends/family would need to have a licenced copy of FH to restore an FH backup but could import a Gedcom to any program.

Hope this helps,

Jackson

Vyger

Mike,

I must return to that Plugin, I tried it once and it created a massive file from memory. For my purposes I was just massaging the Gedcom file to make compatible with success.

Customised sentences were always a problem in Gedcom, I'm not knowledgeable enough of the standard to know the support. However for simple purposes of sharing the connections of one's research with others it should be adequate.

On a side line I often share very restricted trees as this often promotes further valuable discussion and comparisons 😁 I especially do this with Ancestry as I'm not donating 25 years of research to them but I do like to wet people's curiosity.

Jackson

On Thu, 30 Jun 2022, 15:33 Mike Tate, <post@...> wrote:

Jackson,

If you know what product your friends and family use then the Export Gedcom File plugin will produce a tailored GEDCOM for them.

As you say there are plenty of suitable free products not just for Windows but other devices too.

An FH Project Backup is simply a standard compressed ZIP file under another name.

It can be extracted to obtain the GEDCOM file and associated Media that can be imported into many other products and not just FH.

One potential ‘snag’ is customised facts & witnesses that need the Fact Set definitions for them to be displayed correctly.

That does need FH and the accompanying customised settings files.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Vyger
Sent: 30 June 2022 15:16

Frank,

Hope this helps,

Jackson

Mike Tate

Jackson,

I would be surprised if the Plugin produced a massive GEDCOM file (unless there were some very unusual/invalid data in the Project).

However, it can produce a lot of Media files to cope with head & shoulder face frames or similar ‘cut-outs’ in image files.

There are several options to work-around that, such as excluding Media altogether.

Standard GEDCOM does not support narrative sentences at all, not even for the standard facts.

That is why Fact Sets are needed for both standard facts and custom facts and are only applicable to FH.

There is a special case for GedSite that does handle most features of FH Fact Sets that can be included in the GEDCOM using a special extension created by the Export Gedcom File plugin.

The plugin has dedicated settings and many options for most of the popular destination products as explained in its Help & Advice pages.

If you need help to achieve any particular objective then please ask.

Mike

Sent: 30 June 2022 18:06

Mike,

I must return to that Plugin, I tried it once and it created a massive file from memory. For my purposes I was just massaging the Gedcom file to make compatible with success.

Customised sentences were always a problem in Gedcom, I'm not knowledgeable enough of the standard to know the support. However for simple purposes of sharing the connections of one's research with others it should be adequate.

On a side line I often share very restricted trees as this often promotes further valuable discussion and comparisons 😁 I especially do this with Ancestry as I'm not donating 25 years of research to them but I do like to wet people's curiosity.

Jackson

Vyger

Mike,

Thank you, that might explain it, I really need to try it again.

I have a large number of Place Details (Addresses) from Rootsmagic the majority of which are geocoded, many with associated Notes and Media. If I use direct import to FH this data gets converted to Notes and I lose the ability to map at present therefore I prefer Gedcom input which produces a lot of non standard data.

Going back to suggestions of sharing data with friends and family even such large losses would still provide interest and family integrity to the sharees. This would only be a problem if the sharees were true collaborators in which case same program use and some strict protocols should be in place as you well know.

Thanks again,

Jackson

On Thu, 30 Jun 2022, 18:35 Mike Tate, <post@...> wrote:

Jackson,

I would be surprised if the Plugin produced a massive GEDCOM file (unless there were some very unusual/invalid data in the Project).

However, it can produce a lot of Media files to cope with head & shoulder face frames or similar ‘cut-outs’ in image files.

There are several options to work-around that, such as excluding Media altogether.

Standard GEDCOM does not support narrative sentences at all, not even for the standard facts.

That is why Fact Sets are needed for both standard facts and custom facts and are only applicable to FH.

There is a special case for GedSite that does handle most features of FH Fact Sets that can be included in the GEDCOM using a special extension created by the Export Gedcom File plugin.

The plugin has dedicated settings and many options for most of the popular destination products as explained in its Help & Advice pages.

If you need help to achieve any particular objective then please ask.

Mike

Sent: 30 June 2022 18:06

Mike,

Jackson

Mike Tate

Jackson,

I have just performed a direct import to FH 7.0.11 from RM8 and the Place records transferred Place Names, Lat/Longitude, Media & Notes perfectly.

I am talking about data listed as Places in RM8 and not those listed as Addresses (which don’t seem to have a geocoding capability).

Mike

Sent: 01 July 2022 12:34

Mike,

Thank you, that might explain it, I really need to try it again.

I have a large number of Place Details (Addresses) from Rootsmagic the majority of which are geocoded, many with associated Notes and Media. If I use direct import to FH this data gets converted to Notes and I lose the ability to map at present therefore I prefer Gedcom input which produces a lot of non standard data.

Going back to suggestions of sharing data with friends and family even such large losses would still provide interest and family integrity to the sharees. This would only be a problem if the sharees were true collaborators in which case same program use and some strict protocols should be in place as you well know.

Thanks again,

Jackson

Vyger

Mike,

The direct import dumps Place Detail information into Fact Notes, if I revert from there then this detail which is previous to me is lost. On the other hand if I import by Gedcom I get much nonstandard data, Place Details geocoding etc being the one in question but this will export again by Gedcom and can be transferred to Rootsmagic.

So in FH I can query on this nonstandard data (using Gedcom import) to help complete data in Rootsmagic, just not update the additional non standard data in FH.

I firmly believe in the usefulness and benefits of maintaining a Place list clear of address information, my research has also benefited greatly from mapping these details relational to a master place and it's not something I am willing to foresake. With Hededis and other programs supporting the mapping and attaching media to Place sub divisions I am happy to keep one foot in each camp until CP follows suit, see example below.

We are well off topic now so I need to search out an appropriate FHUG related topic and update with some other direct Rootsmagic import observations I am coming across for reference of others.

Jackson

Mike Tate

Jackson,

You are correct this has gone off topic.

I believe the best way forward is to switch to the FHUG Forums https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/

Use the Importing and Exporting forum where it is far quicker to post multiple screenshots than here.

We need to see the RM8 screens showing your Place Details that import as Fact Notes in FH.

There are many migrants from RM7 & RM8 who may be able to add their advice.

Mike

Sent: 01 July 2022 15:46

Mike,

The direct import dumps Place Detail information into Fact Notes, if I revert from there then this detail which is previous to me is lost. On the other hand if I import by Gedcom I get much nonstandard data, Place Details geocoding etc being the one in question but this will export again by Gedcom and can be transferred to Rootsmagic.

So in FH I can query on this nonstandard data (using Gedcom import) to help complete data in Rootsmagic, just not update the additional non standard data in FH.

I firmly believe in the usefulness and benefits of maintaining a Place list clear of address information, my research has also benefited greatly from mapping these details relational to a master place and it's not something I am willing to foresake. With Hededis and other programs supporting the mapping and attaching media to Place sub divisions I am happy to keep one foot in each camp until CP follows suit, see example below.

We are well off topic now so I need to search out an appropriate FHUG related topic and update with some other direct Rootsmagic import observations I am coming across for reference of others.

Jackson