Moving to a new computer

Stephen Mockford

My old laptop is on its last legs and from what i've seen and heard its minefield trying to migrate all the media i.e photos & documents associated with the program over. My friend tried it a few years ago and when she opened up the tree after following instructions all her media was blanked out with a cross in a rectangle for every document/photo etc which she never ever got to work unfortunately.
In my case all my media is saved in one folder only so no complicated separate folders for census, birth records, marriage and so what I would like if possible is for someone to give a laymans step by step "How too" guide for migration. I have V5 at present but once over on the new computer I will upgrade to V7 unless it is not successful in which case i'll probably just rely on keeping my record on Ancestry.com only. Many thanks in advance

Mike Tate

The step by step guide is in the FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide’:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-copy-and-migration-guide/

If anything is unclear then please ask.

It is helpful for us to know exactly where your Media files are saved on your old PC and where you intend to save them on the new PC.

That potential change of Media file path is what causes the X broken link syndrome.

However, if you cannot resolve that in FH V5, there is an Auto Repair Links button, that was introduced in FH V6 and makes the task easy.

As mentioned in the guide, do not overlook all your customisation settings that are not saved in Projects or Project backups.

Do your Diagrams use Icon .bmp files that are not saved in the C:\ProhramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian folder?

Regards, Mike Tate

[...]

Thanks Mike,

I have the Media files saved in a folder within my documents folder which is on my desktop. So in short a two click process to obtain them, I learnt from my friend not to over complicate the folder issue.

Sent from Mail for Windows