Moving to a new computer

Stephen Mockford

My old laptop is on its last legs and from what i've seen and heard its minefield trying to migrate all the media i.e photos & documents associated with the program over. My friend tried it a few years ago and when she opened up the tree after following instructions all her media was blanked out with a cross in a rectangle for every document/photo etc which she never ever got to work unfortunately.
In my case all my media is saved in one folder only so no complicated separate folders for census, birth records, marriage and so what I would like if possible is for someone to give a laymans step by step "How too" guide for migration. I have V5 at present but once over on the new computer I will upgrade to V7 unless it is not successful in which case i'll probably just rely on keeping my record on Ancestry.com only. Many thanks in advance

Mike Tate

The step by step guide is in the FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide’:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-copy-and-migration-guide/

If anything is unclear then please ask.

It is helpful for us to know exactly where your Media files are saved on your old PC and where you intend to save them on the new PC.

That potential change of Media file path is what causes the X broken link syndrome.

However, if you cannot resolve that in FH V5, there is an Auto Repair Links button, that was introduced in FH V6 and makes the task easy.

As mentioned in the guide, do not overlook all your customisation settings that are not saved in Projects or Project backups.

Do your Diagrams use Icon .bmp files that are not saved in the C:\ProhramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian folder?

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of mocky1957@...
Sent: 27 May 2022 12:26
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Moving to a new computer

My old laptop is on its last legs and from what i've seen and heard its minefield trying to migrate all the media i.e photos & documents associated with the program over. My friend tried it a few years ago and when she opened up the tree after following instructions all her media was blanked out with a cross in a rectangle for every document/photo etc which she never ever got to work unfortunately.
In my case all my media is saved in one folder only so no complicated separate folders for census, birth records, marriage and so what I would like if possible is for someone to give a laymans step by step "How too" guide for migration. I have V5 at present but once over on the new computer I will upgrade to V7 unless it is not successful in which case i'll probably just rely on keeping my record on Ancestry.com only. Many thanks in advance

Stephen Mockford

Thanks Mike,

I have the Media files saved in a folder within my documents folder which is on my desktop. So in short a two click process to obtain them, I learnt from my friend not to over complicate the folder issue.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: 27 May 2022 13:04
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Moving to a new computer

The step by step guide is in the FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide’:

It is helpful for us to know exactly where your Media files are saved on your old PC and where you intend to save them on the new PC.

That potential change of Media file path is what causes the X broken link syndrome.

However, if you cannot resolve that in FH V5, there is an Auto Repair Links button, that was introduced in FH V6 and makes the task easy.

As mentioned in the guide, do not overlook all your customisation settings that are not saved in Projects or Project backups.

Do your Diagrams use Icon .bmp files that are not saved in the C:\ProhramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian folder?

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of mocky1957@...

Mike Tate

So I guess the full file path on your old desktop PC is something like:

C:\Users\Stephen\Documents\Media\

where Stephen is replaced by your sign in username and Media is whatever subfolder you have chosen.

In FH the Media records will specify exactly that full file path for every Media file, supplemented by the filename and type.

On the new PC, your sign in username will probably be different, so the full file path will be different.

If you can arrange for your sign in name to be identical to the old desktop sign in then you will avoid those file path problems.

If you cannot arrange that then all your Media record file paths will be broken and marked with an X.

However, they can be corrected via the Tools > External File Links… command options.

I can explain how when you reach that stage.

Mike

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Stephen Mockford
Sent: 27 May 2022 13:08

Thanks Mike,

I have the Media files saved in a folder within my documents folder which is on my desktop. So in short a two click process to obtain them, I learnt from my friend not to over complicate the folder issue.

Stephen Mockford

So yes the file path is pretty much that,

Not sure yet about the new computer as I might take on my wife’s laptop which she never uses and is only 9 months old. So watch this space please haha.

Really appreciate your assistance and advice

Steve

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: 27 May 2022 13:34

So I guess the full file path on your old desktop PC is something like:

C:\Users\Stephen\Documents\Media\

where Stephen is replaced by your sign in username and Media is whatever subfolder you have chosen.

In FH the Media records will specify exactly that full file path for every Media file, supplemented by the filename and type.

On the new PC, your sign in username will probably be different, so the full file path will be different.

If you can arrange for your sign in name to be identical to the old desktop sign in then you will avoid those file path problems.

If you cannot arrange that then all your Media record file paths will be broken and marked with an X.

However, they can be corrected via the Tools > External File Links… command options.

I can explain how when you reach that stage.

Mike

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Stephen Mockford
Sent: 27 May 2022 13:08

Thanks Mike,

Vyger

Hi Mike,

Sorry to jump in on this but I work between laptop and desktop and have used the Backup Plugin however expressions and diagram box highlighting conditions do not appear to transfer.

Do you know which file these are stored in?

Jackson

From: family-historian@groups.io [mailto:family-historian@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Tate

Regards, Mike Tate

Mike Tate

Yes, it would have been better to start a new posting.

Have you carefully followed the FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide’:

Especially, under Restoring Program Settings where it says:select the backup location and tick Allow Restore Registry Data in the Options tab.”

If you are talking about the standard Diagrams available from the toolbar then the settings are not saved in a file anywhere.

They are held in the Windows Registry, which is handled by both the old and the new Backup and Restore FH Settings plugins.

Try the new Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings via Windows plugin also mentioned in the guide that restores the Windows Registry unconditionally.

Mike

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Vyger
Sent: 27 May 2022 14:36

Hi Mike,

Sorry to jump in on this but I work between laptop and desktop and have used the Backup Plugin however expressions and diagram box highlighting conditions do not appear to transfer.

Jackson

From: family-historian@groups.io [mailto:family-historian@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Tate

Regards, Mike Tate

Vyger

Thanks Mike,

I was not high jacking the thread, I believe grouping directly issues in one common thread is preferable to scattering answers over several threads where the issue becomes more difficult to follow.

Jackson

Sent: 27 May 2022 15:03

Yes, it would have been better to start a new posting.

Have you carefully followed the FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide’:

Especially, under Restoring Program Settings where it says:select the backup location and tick Allow Restore Registry Data in the Options tab.”

If you are talking about the standard Diagrams available from the toolbar then the settings are not saved in a file anywhere.

They are held in the Windows Registry, which is handled by both the old and the new Backup and Restore FH Settings plugins.

Try the new Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings via Windows plugin also mentioned in the guide that restores the Windows Registry unconditionally.

Mike

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Vyger
Sent: 27 May 2022 14:36

Hi Mike,

Jackson

Regards, Mike Tate

Rich Crooks

So Vyger,
Does that mean that you’re a lumper and not a splitter?
Rich

Vyger

Hi Rich,

Nice to hear from you and actually I am a lumper and that brought a smile to my face.

I work between laptop and desktop, did a lot of video prep work on FH whilst on holiday but then found the sync was incomplete.

Mike Tate pointed me in the right direction above but the same issue would occur when moving to a new computer or installation. The KB was correct, I was just in too much of a hurry to read it thoroughly 😁

On Sat, 28 May 2022, 14:29 Rich Crooks via groups.io, <rwcrooks=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
So Vyger,
Does that mean that you’re a lumper and not a splitter?
Rich