Missing birth date

Jorge Planas Campos

Hello, I'm back before I expected. I was reviewing the ancestor report in Spanish and I have noticed that whenever an individual does not have a specific date of birth or baptism (which happens VERY often when we go back to the XVth or XVIth century) the individual's name does NOT come up in the report, except as a spouse, parent or other relation to another individual. But it does not turn up in bold. Let me show an example:

388. Hieronim TORRALLARDONA, hijo de Madona, se casó con Bertomeva.18 Murió el 6/12/1531 en Igualada.32

389. Murió el 21/12/1548 en Igualada.32 Ella y Hieronim TORRALLARDONA tuvieron los hijos siguientes:....

389 should read "Bertomeva. Murió el 21/12/1548..." to make it understandable (you will notice that personal pronouns --She/He-Ella/El are NOT used in Spanish sentences very often)

If I create a Birth Tag for all of those individuals without a date (over 300 according to the Query Report), the Ancestor Report sentence comes out as "So-and-so was born." which can be fixed into just "So-and-so." but the question is: is there a way to fix this automatically instead of having to add a no-date Birth Tag for each individual?

Thanks for the help.

Jorge

Mike Tate

It might be possible to get the name included in the Death sentence when there is no Birth or Baptism fact, but it would NOT be bold.

Also, there might be other sentences before the Death sentence, such as Occupation or Residence.

So I think the only solution that will put a Name in Bold at the start is to add empty Birth facts.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jorge Planas Campos
Sent: 27 May 2020 16:55
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Missing birth date

Hello, I'm back before I expected. I was reviewing the ancestor report in Spanish and I have noticed that whenever an individual does not have a specific date of birth or baptism (which happens VERY often when we go back to the XVth or XVIth century) the individual's name does NOT come up in the report, except as a spouse, parent or other relation to another individual. But it does not turn up in bold. Let me show an example:

388. Hieronim TORRALLARDONA, hijo de Madona, se casó con Bertomeva.18 Murió el 6/12/1531 en Igualada.32

389. Murió el 21/12/1548 en Igualada.32 Ella y Hieronim TORRALLARDONA tuvieron los hijos siguientes:....

389 should read "Bertomeva. Murió el 21/12/1548..." to make it understandable (you will notice that personal pronouns --She/He-Ella/El are NOT used in Spanish sentences very often)

If I create a Birth Tag for all of those individuals without a date (over 300 according to the Query Report), the Ancestor Report sentence comes out as "So-and-so was born." which can be fixed into just "So-and-so." but the question is: is there a way to fix this automatically instead of having to add a no-date Birth Tag for each individual?

Thanks for the help.

Jorge

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Andy Kennedy

Jorge,

Not a technical solution, but a suggestion for you to consider:

It should be possible to estimate birth dates for any person, based on averages which may change with time and cultures of the countries involved. Some years ago, I trawled through my tree to make sure every person had at least an estimated birth date, and have been pleasantly surprised by how many times later information has confirmed the accuracy of my estimates.

Since most of my tree is based in the islands of Britain, I start with an estimated marriage date, a year or so before the birth of the first known child, then parents estimated birth dates 25 years before that. This will almost certainly not be the case with Spanish ancestors from the 16th century, but the point is that there will be similar averages that do apply.

Estimated (c. 1528) dates will help avoid any report problems, but I recommend it as reasonable practice anyway. It certainly helps find the right person in lists of identical names, which are common in the British islands.

Hope this helps

Andy

Jorge Planas Campos

Thank you Andy and Mike. In all cases it seems I am bound to put a Birth tag to all those with unknown dates.

Two more questions: is there a way to have a Batch Create Tag plugin or mechanism? And, is there a query to identify the individuals with no Birth or Baptism tag? I can locate them through the general query and sorting by date of birth, but I would prefer to have ONLY those that I have to remake.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Tate
Sent: miércoles, 27 de mayo de 2020 20:05
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Missing birth date

It might be possible to get the name included in the Death sentence when there is no Birth or Baptism fact, but it would NOT be bold.

Also, there might be other sentences before the Death sentence, such as Occupation or Residence.

So I think the only solution that will put a Name in Bold at the start is to add empty Birth facts.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jorge Planas Campos

Thanks for the help.

Jorge

Neil Grantham

Jorge

I did this Custom Query.
So, click the Query Window Button on the Tool Bar (next to the Red pin)
In the query Window, click the Cog icon and select 'New Custom Query' - give it a name and leave it as 'Individual'
On the General Tab, Give the Query a name in 'Print Details' - I called it the same as the Query I created.
On the Columns Tab, you will already have Individual on the right, so expand 'Events' on the left and find 'Birth' - then click the > arrow to send it to the right, so you then have a second column 'Birth Date' with Expression %INDI.BIRT.DATE%
Now go to the Rows Tab and under General you need 
Condition: Add if...
Expression: %INDI.BIRT.DATE%
Operator: is null

Now, at the top of the Query, click the Round blue button with the white arrow and you will get a set of results with Individuals with no birth date in the 'Result Set' Tab.

Best Wishes,

Neil

On Thursday, 28 May 2020, 06:49:11 BST, Jorge Planas Campos <jorgeplanas@...> wrote:

Thank you Andy and Mike. In all cases it seems I am bound to put a Birth tag to all those with unknown dates.

Two more questions: is there a way to have a Batch Create Tag plugin or mechanism? And, is there a query to identify the individuals with no Birth or Baptism tag? I can locate them through the general query and sorting by date of birth, but I would prefer to have ONLY those that I have to remake.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike Tate
Sent: miércoles, 27 de mayo de 2020 20:05

Thanks for the help.

Jorge

Mike Tate

The Custom Query suggested by Neil is exactly what I would have proposed.

It is also possible to write a Plugin to add a Birth event to every Individual without one.

That Plugin could also automatically add an estimated Date of Birth to each such event.

There is a standard function that calculates estimated Date of Birth from other events such as Marriage and Death of not only the Individual but also their close relatives. It often uses the Tools > Preferences > Estimates settings, e.g. If Date of Death is known then it may use Maximum Lifespan to estimate the earliest Date of Birth.

I could write that Plugin, but let me know if you want estimated Date of Birth included.

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Neil Grantham via groups.io
Sent: 28 May 2020 09:30

Jorge

I did this Custom Query.

In the query Window, click the Cog icon and select 'New Custom Query' - give it a name and leave it as 'Individual'

On the General Tab, Give the Query a name in 'Print Details' - I called it the same as the Query I created.

On the Columns Tab, you will already have Individual on the right, so expand 'Events' on the left and find 'Birth' - then click the > arrow to send it to the right, so you then have a second column 'Birth Date' with Expression %INDI.BIRT.DATE%

Now, at the top of the Query, click the Round blue button with the white arrow and you will get a set of results with Individuals with no birth date in the 'Result Set' Tab.

Best Wishes,

Neil

Jorge Planas Campos

Yes! That would be great! I don’t need the estimated date of birth to be included, thanks. Only question is that the plugin should work if there is no Birth or Baptism tag.

I’ll apply the custom query as suggested by Neil to have the list of individuals ready.

Jorge

Sent: jueves, 28 de mayo de 2020 12:07

The Custom Query suggested by Neil is exactly what I would have proposed.

It is also possible to write a Plugin to add a Birth event to every Individual without one.

That Plugin could also automatically add an estimated Date of Birth to each such event.

There is a standard function that calculates estimated Date of Birth from other events such as Marriage and Death of not only the Individual but also their close relatives. It often uses the Tools > Preferences > Estimates settings, e.g. If Date of Death is known then it may use Maximum Lifespan to estimate the earliest Date of Birth.

I could write that Plugin, but let me know if you want estimated Date of Birth included.

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Neil Grantham via groups.io
Sent: 28 May 2020 09:30

Jorge

I did this Custom Query.

Best Wishes,

Neil

Mike Tate

Just to clarify, you only want an empty Birth event added when there is no existing Birth event and there is no existing Baptism event too.

So if there is an existing Baptism event you do NOT want the Birth event added?

Sent: 28 May 2020 12:56

Yes! That would be great! I don’t need the estimated date of birth to be included, thanks. Only question is that the plugin should work if there is no Birth or Baptism tag.

I’ll apply the custom query as suggested by Neil to have the list of individuals ready.

Jorge

Jorge Planas Campos

Yes, because as far as I can see if there is a Baptism tag and no Birth tag a numbered entry with the individual’s name in bold is created, which is what I want. Is this true?

Just to add some confusion, sometimes it seems that when there is a Marriage tag –and no Birth or Baptism tag--, the individual’s name also appears in bold to head the entry in the report. So, if this is true, no new Birth tag would be necessary here either. But to be sure –because this might depend on the order of the tags—I would prefer to create a Birth tag anyways, no harm done.

Jorge

Sent: jueves, 28 de mayo de 2020 14:37

Just to clarify, you only want an empty Birth event added when there is no existing Birth event and there is no existing Baptism event too.

So if there is an existing Baptism event you do NOT want the Birth event added?

Sent: 28 May 2020 12:56

Jorge

Mike Tate

Jorge, I have looked at the Narrative Reports again regarding where Names are shown in bold and may have solved your problem without adding Birth events.

The rule is that the first time any person’s name is shown, it is shown in bold.

It does not matter what fact happens to be first. The Name of the person is always shown at the start of the line after the number.

BUT that depends on the Tools > Fact Types definition of that fact having its Sentence Template starting with the {individual} code.

So the Birth and Baptism events have Sentence Templates that start with the {individual} code.

But in your Death event Sentence Template have you removed the {individual} code because you want to stop it saying He/She ~ Ella/El ?

Unfortunately, that also removes the bold Name when there are no earlier facts.

The only variant is where the Narrative Report says “He married Janet SMITH.” where her name is for the first time so it will be in bold.

Then on her entry in the Report, it will say “Janet SMITH was …” with her name in full but NOT bold.

I hope that all makes sense, and explains why your Death sentences do not show the Name at the start of the line.

Regards, Mike Tate

Sent: 28 May 2020 14:24

Yes, because as far as I can see if there is a Baptism tag and no Birth tag a numbered entry with the individual’s name in bold is created, which is what I want. Is this true?

Just to add some confusion, sometimes it seems that when there is a Marriage tag –and no Birth or Baptism tag--, the individual’s name also appears in bold to head the entry in the report. So, if this is true, no new Birth tag would be necessary here either. But to be sure –because this might depend on the order of the tags—I would prefer to create a Birth tag anyways, no harm done.

Jorge

Jorge Planas Campos

Understood Mike, I did change the Death Tag Sentence. But if there are other Tags, the Death Tag doesn’t come up first to start the Report Sentence, as in the case of Elisabet Carner (see attachments).

Will put back {individual} in the Death Tag but, is there a way to avoid the He/She if Birth or Baptism Tags exist?

And what about the Marriage Tag?

Jorge

Sent: jueves, 28 de mayo de 2020 16:13

Jorge, I have looked at the Narrative Reports again regarding where Names are shown in bold and may have solved your problem without adding Birth events.

The rule is that the first time any person’s name is shown, it is shown in bold.

It does not matter what fact happens to be first. The Name of the person is always shown at the start of the line after the number.

BUT that depends on the Tools > Fact Types definition of that fact having its Sentence Template starting with the {individual} code.

So the Birth and Baptism events have Sentence Templates that start with the {individual} code.

But in your Death event Sentence Template have you removed the {individual} code because you want to stop it saying He/She ~ Ella/El ?

Unfortunately, that also removes the bold Name when there are no earlier facts.

The only variant is where the Narrative Report says “He married Janet SMITH.” where her name is for the first time so it will be in bold.

Then on her entry in the Report, it will say “Janet SMITH was …” with her name in full but NOT bold.

I hope that all makes sense, and explains why your Death sentences do not show the Name at the start of the line.

Regards, Mike Tate

Sent: 28 May 2020 14:24

Jorge

Mike Tate

I am not quite sure what point you are making. In the case of Elisabet Carner the report should say:

Elisabet CARNER made a will on 26 December 1710 in St. Esteve. She died between 1707 and February 1711.”

That assumes the Will event starts its Sentence Template with the {individual} code.

I did try making the bold Name or the He/She conditional on any preceding fact, but could not find a solution.

Remember it is not just whether a Birth or Baptism exists, but whether any fact exists before the Death event, as in the case of Elisabet Carner and Will above.

So the {individual} paradox applies to every fact because any fact can come first.

With {individual} you get the Name if the fact is first or He/She otherwise.

Without {individual} you always get nothing wherever the fact is positioned.

In the case of Marriage, the Name in bold appears somewhere in the spouse sentences just above the Name that is not bold.

I don’t know any way to change that.

I think there are some improvements to the Report writer Sentence Templates in FH V7 when it gets released.

For a long time, Calico Pie have said they are keen to support multiple languages, but we don’t know when.

Regards, Mike Tate

Sent: 28 May 2020 16:26

Understood Mike, I did change the Death Tag Sentence. But if there are other Tags, the Death Tag doesn’t come up first to start the Report Sentence, as in the case of Elisabet Carner (see attachments).

Will put back {individual} in the Death Tag but, is there a way to avoid the He/She if Birth or Baptism Tags exist?

Jorge

Jorge Planas Campos

I’m sorry Mike if I confusing you. Let’s go back to basics: it would be very helpful and I would be very thankful if you could provide a plugin to put a Birth Tag whenever a Birth or Baptism Tags exist. That will surely finish the problem and will allow me to go back to the other (Death, Will, Marriage, etc.) Spanish sentences without the {individual}.

Jorge

Sent: jueves, 28 de mayo de 2020 18:26

I am not quite sure what point you are making. In the case of Elisabet Carner the report should say:

Elisabet CARNER made a will on 26 December 1710 in St. Esteve. She died between 1707 and February 1711.”

That assumes the Will event starts its Sentence Template with the {individual} code.

I did try making the bold Name or the He/She conditional on any preceding fact, but could not find a solution.

Remember it is not just whether a Birth or Baptism exists, but whether any fact exists before the Death event, as in the case of Elisabet Carner and Will above.

So the {individual} paradox applies to every fact because any fact can come first.

In the case of Marriage, the Name in bold appears somewhere in the spouse sentences just above the Name that is not bold.

I think there are some improvements to the Report writer Sentence Templates in FH V7 when it gets released.

For a long time, Calico Pie have said they are keen to support multiple languages, but we don’t know when.

Regards, Mike Tate

Jorge

Mike Tate

Yes, I can see your Spanish dilemma.

The attached Add Missing Birth Event Plugin should work.

If it does not do what you want, then Edit > Undo Plugin Changes will remove the Birth events.

Or you can use File > Backup/Restore > Revert to Snapshot.

Sent: 28 May 2020 17:31

I’m sorry Mike if I confusing you. Let’s go back to basics: it would be very helpful and I would be very thankful if you could provide a plugin to put a Birth Tag whenever a Birth or Baptism Tags exist. That will surely finish the problem and will allow me to go back to the other (Death, Will, Marriage, etc.) Spanish sentences without the {individual}.

Jorge

Regards, Mike Tate

Jorge

Jorge Planas Campos

Great Mike, you are a genius! You know there are 1,065 individuals that had no birth or baptism date?

I am facing another Spanish-related problem now: the Birth Tag Sentence in Spanish is : {individual} nació <el {date:ABBREV3}> <en {%FACT.PLAC:SHORT%}> but when there is no date or place, the sentence finishes up being: “So-and-so nació.” How can I put “nació” (was born) conditionally only if there is a date or a place of birth? I tried {individual} <nació <el {date:ABBREV3}> <en {%FACT.PLAC:SHORT%}>>, but this didn’t work out.

Should I open another topic?

Jorge

Sent: jueves, 28 de mayo de 2020 18:53

If it does not do what you want, then Edit > Undo Plugin Changes will remove the Birth events.

Jorge

Regards, Mike Tate

Jorge

Jorge Planas Campos

Mike, a stupid question was what I put forward just before. The obvious answer to eliminate the “nació” if there is no Birth Tag is {individual} <nació el {date:ABBREV3}> <en {%FACT.PLAC:SHORT%}>

I’ve been at this too long today, and you too, so let’s quit and have a beer.

Jorge

(PS: been trying to understand the functions and how to use them, but with little result up to now. Downloaded the PSPad Editor and all)

Jorge

Regards, Mike Tate

Jorge

Mike Tate

You cannot nest < angle brackets > so must use the {=TextIf(…)} function:

{individual}{=TextIf(Exists(%CUR_PRIN.BIRT.DATE%) or Exists(%CUR_PRIN.BIRT.PLAC%)," nació","")}< el {date:ABBREV3}>< en {%FACT.PLAC:SHORT%}>

Sent: 28 May 2020 18:26

Great Mike, you are a genius! You know there are 1,065 individuals that had no birth or baptism date?

I am facing another Spanish-related problem now: the Birth Tag Sentence in Spanish is : {individual} nació <el {date:ABBREV3}> <en {%FACT.PLAC:SHORT%}> but when there is no date or place, the sentence finishes up being: “So-and-so nació.” How can I put “nació” (was born) conditionally only if there is a date or a place of birth? I tried {individual} <nació <el {date:ABBREV3}> <en {%FACT.PLAC:SHORT%}>>, but this didn’t work out.

Jorge

Mike Tate

That solution will NOT work correctly if there is no Date but there is a Place.

It would say: “John SMITH en Madrid.”

Sent: 28 May 2020 19:27

Mike, a stupid question was what I put forward just before. The obvious answer to eliminate the “nació” if there is no Birth Tag is {individual} <nació el {date:ABBREV3}> <en {%FACT.PLAC:SHORT%}>

Jorge

(PS: been trying to understand the functions and how to use them, but with little result up to now. Downloaded the PSPad Editor and all)

Mike Tate

You cannot nest < angle brackets > so must use the {=TextIf(…)} function:

{individual}{=TextIf(Exists(%CUR_PRIN.BIRT.DATE%) or Exists(%CUR_PRIN.BIRT.PLAC%)," nació","")}< el {date:ABBREV3}>< en {%FACT.PLAC:SHORT%}>

Sent: 28 May 2020 18:26

Jorge

Jorge

Regards, Mike Tate

Jorge

Mike Tate

That solution will NOT work correctly if there is no Date but there is a Place.

It would say: “John SMITH en Madrid.”

Sent: 28 May 2020 19:27

Jorge

Jorge

Regards, Mike Tate

Jorge