Missing birth date

Jorge Planas Campos

Hello, I'm back before I expected. I was reviewing the ancestor report in Spanish and I have noticed that whenever an individual does not have a specific date of birth or baptism (which happens VERY often when we go back to the XVth or XVIth century) the individual's name does NOT come up in the report, except as a spouse, parent or other relation to another individual. But it does not turn up in bold. Let me show an example:

388. Hieronim TORRALLARDONA, hijo de Madona, se casó con Bertomeva.18 Murió el 6/12/1531 en Igualada.32

389. Murió el 21/12/1548 en Igualada.32 Ella y Hieronim TORRALLARDONA tuvieron los hijos siguientes:....

389 should read "Bertomeva. Murió el 21/12/1548..." to make it understandable (you will notice that personal pronouns --She/He-Ella/El are NOT used in Spanish sentences very often)

If I create a Birth Tag for all of those individuals without a date (over 300 according to the Query Report), the Ancestor Report sentence comes out as "So-and-so was born." which can be fixed into just "So-and-so." but the question is: is there a way to fix this automatically instead of having to add a no-date Birth Tag for each individual?

Thanks for the help.

Jorge

Mike Tate

It might be possible to get the name included in the Death sentence when there is no Birth or Baptism fact, but it would NOT be bold.

Also, there might be other sentences before the Death sentence, such as Occupation or Residence.

So I think the only solution that will put a Name in Bold at the start is to add empty Birth facts.

[...]

Andy Kennedy

Jorge,

Not a technical solution, but a suggestion for you to consider:

It should be possible to estimate birth dates for any person, based on averages which may change with time and cultures of the countries involved. Some years ago, I trawled through my tree to make sure every person had at least an estimated birth date, and have been pleasantly surprised by how many times later information has confirmed the accuracy of my estimates.

Since most of my tree is based in the islands of Britain, I start with an estimated marriage date, a year or so before the birth of the first known child, then parents estimated birth dates 25 years before that. This will almost certainly not be the case with Spanish ancestors from the 16th century, but the point is that there will be similar averages that do apply.

Estimated (c. 1528) dates will help avoid any report problems, but I recommend it as reasonable practice anyway. It certainly helps find the right person in lists of identical names, which are common in the British islands.

Hope this helps

Andy

Jorge Planas Campos

Thank you Andy and Mike. In all cases it seems I am bound to put a Birth tag to all those with unknown dates.

Two more questions: is there a way to have a Batch Create Tag plugin or mechanism? And, is there a query to identify the individuals with no Birth or Baptism tag? I can locate them through the general query and sorting by date of birth, but I would prefer to have ONLY those that I have to remake.

[...]

Neil Grantham

Jorge

I did this Custom Query.
So, click the Query Window Button on the Tool Bar (next to the Red pin)
In the query Window, click the Cog icon and select 'New Custom Query' - give it a name and leave it as 'Individual'
On the General Tab, Give the Query a name in 'Print Details' - I called it the same as the Query I created.
On the Columns Tab, you will already have Individual on the right, so expand 'Events' on the left and find 'Birth' - then click the > arrow to send it to the right, so you then have a second column 'Birth Date' with Expression %INDI.BIRT.DATE%
Now go to the Rows Tab and under General you need
Condition: Add if...
Expression: %INDI.BIRT.DATE%
Operator: is null

Now, at the top of the Query, click the Round blue button with the white arrow and you will get a set of results with Individuals with no birth date in the 'Result Set' Tab.

Best Wishes,

Neil

On Thursday, 28 May 2020, 06:49:11 BST, Jorge Planas Campos <jorgeplanas@...> wrote:

[...]

The Custom Query suggested by Neil is exactly what I would have proposed.

It is also possible to write a Plugin to add a Birth event to every Individual without one.

That Plugin could also automatically add an estimated Date of Birth to each such event.

There is a standard function that calculates estimated Date of Birth from other events such as Marriage and Death of not only the Individual but also their close relatives. It often uses the Tools > Preferences > Estimates settings, e.g. If Date of Death is known then it may use Maximum Lifespan to estimate the earliest Date of Birth.

I could write that Plugin, but let me know if you want estimated Date of Birth included.

Regards, Mike Tate

[...]

Yes! That would be great! I don’t need the estimated date of birth to be included, thanks. Only question is that the plugin should work if there is no Birth or Baptism tag.

I’ll apply the custom query as suggested by Neil to have the list of individuals ready.

[...]

Just to clarify, you only want an empty Birth event added when there is no existing Birth event and there is no existing Baptism event too.

So if there is an existing Baptism event you do NOT want the Birth event added?

Yes! That would be great! I don’t need the estimated date of birth to be included, thanks. Only question is that the plugin should work if there is no Birth or Baptism tag.

I’ll apply the custom query as suggested by Neil to have the list of individuals ready.

Jorge

Jorge Planas Campos

Yes, because as far as I can see if there is a Baptism tag and no Birth tag a numbered entry with the individual’s name in bold is created, which is what I want. Is this true?

Just to add some confusion, sometimes it seems that when there is a Marriage tag –and no Birth or Baptism tag--, the individual’s name also appears in bold to head the entry in the report. So, if this is true, no new Birth tag would be necessary here either. But to be sure –because this might depend on the order of the tags—I would prefer to create a Birth tag anyways, no harm done.

Jorge

Just to clarify, you only want an empty Birth event added when there is no existing Birth event and there is no existing Baptism event too.

So if there is an existing Baptism event you do NOT want the Birth event added?

Yes! That would be great! I don’t need the estimated date of birth to be included, thanks. Only question is that the plugin should work if there is no Birth or Baptism tag.

I’ll apply the custom query as suggested by Neil to have the list of individuals ready.

Jorge

Jorge, I have looked at the Narrative Reports again regarding where Names are shown in bold and may have solved your problem without adding Birth events.

The rule is that the first time any person’s name is shown, it is shown in bold.

It does not matter what fact happens to be first. The Name of the person is always shown at the start of the line after the number.

BUT that depends on the Tools > Fact Types definition of that fact having its Sentence Template starting with the {individual} code.

So the Birth and Baptism events have Sentence Templates that start with the {individual} code.

But in your Death event Sentence Template have you removed the {individual} code because you want to stop it saying He/She ~ Ella/El ?

Unfortunately, that also removes the bold Name when there are no earlier facts.

The only variant is where the Narrative Report says “He married Janet SMITH.” where her name is for the first time so it will be in bold.

Then on her entry in the Report, it will say “Janet SMITH was …” with her name in full but NOT bold.

I hope that all makes sense, and explains why your Death sentences do not show the Name at the start of the line.

Regards, Mike Tate

Yes, because as far as I can see if there is a Baptism tag and no Birth tag a numbered entry with the individual’s name in bold is created, which is what I want. Is this true?

Just to add some confusion, sometimes it seems that when there is a Marriage tag –and no Birth or Baptism tag--, the individual’s name also appears in bold to head the entry in the report. So, if this is true, no new Birth tag would be necessary here either. But to be sure –because this might depend on the order of the tags—I would prefer to create a Birth tag anyways, no harm done.

Jorge

Jorge Planas Campos

Understood Mike, I did change the Death Tag Sentence. But if there are other Tags, the Death Tag doesn’t come up first to start the Report Sentence, as in the case of Elisabet Carner (see attachments).

Will put back {individual} in the Death Tag but, is there a way to avoid the He/She if Birth or Baptism Tags exist?

And what about the Marriage Tag?