Military Service


Mike Heseltine <noguru48@...>
 

I am struggling to find a satisfactory way of citing Military Service and medals for the many Heseltines in my One Name Study who served in WW1.
Any suggestions?


David Wilkinson
 

I created a custom facts for medal awards, military beginning, military ending and wounded. Coupled with the military service fact I found this enabled me to record everything and have appropriate sentences for the different events.

On 01/05/2021 08:56, Mike Heseltine wrote:
I am struggling to find a satisfactory way of citing Military Service and medals for the many Heseltines in my One Name Study who served in WW1.
Any suggestions?


Robert
 

I tend to put all of the individuals records in one folder, with the individuals FH ID. Say, for Thomas Lund [76], I have a folder: media\military\lund\Thomas Lund [76]. And, source records “1914-18 Thomas Lund [76] Attestation” etc.


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Saturday, May 1, 2021, 08:56, Mike Heseltine <noguru48@...> wrote:

I am struggling to find a satisfactory way of citing Military Service and medals for the many Heseltines in my One Name Study who served in WW1.
Any suggestions?


Sheila Bryant
 

Have you looked at the Military History Fact Set? It's got oodles of
additional facts including Military Medal (and Gallantry Medal). If
not, might be worth checking it out - see
https://fhug.org.uk/kb/download/military-history-for-property-box-tab-3/


On Sat, 1 May 2021 at 10:06, Robert via groups.io
<lundr2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I tend to put all of the individuals records in one folder, with the individuals FH ID. Say, for Thomas Lund [76], I have a folder: media\military\lund\Thomas Lund [76]. And, source records “1914-18 Thomas Lund [76] Attestation” etc.


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Saturday, May 1, 2021, 08:56, Mike Heseltine <noguru48@gmail.com> wrote:

I am struggling to find a satisfactory way of citing Military Service and medals for the many Heseltines in my One Name Study who served in WW1.
Any suggestions?



--
Sheila


Adrian Bruce
 

It's very much a matter of preference but I found the Military History Fact Set to be rather too detailed for my family members - and for a One Name Study, I think that it would be overwhelming. Of course, you don't need to use all the fact types, you could just decide which you want to use and use Tools / Fact Types / Hide to hide the rest to avoid confusion.

I would suggest that you need to use at least
 - Military Service attribute, whose value is the name of each unit that someone served in, with appropriate dates;
 - Campaign Medal attribute whose value is the name(s) of all(?) the campaign medals issued to this guy;
 - Gallantry Medal attribute whose value is the name of a Gallantry Medal awarded - with the appropriate award date;
 
You'd need to think what to do about Mentioned In Dispatches - I'd be inclined to put it in the Gallantry Medal attribute, rather than have its own attribute. The Silver War Badge is another oddity, perhaps. I'd be inclined to put that in a separate Campaign Medal attribute for each soldier, rather than in with the Campaign Medal attribute for the BWM and VM, simply because it's easier to work with.

Military Service attribute - I record this at the battalion / battery / company level etc - whatever the basic unit is. Of course, at the start and end of his career, you might only know that they were in Training or the Reserve - you might not know a more detailed description. Most people will have several Military Service attributes.

Whether you have separate events for demobbed and discharged is up to you - for my purposes I will normally enter the discharged date in the end date of the last Military Service attribute, while the demobbed date is just in the notes for a Military Service attribute. But if you want to run off a query listing these dates, then you really need to record them as events in their own right. I've never found the need to do that so I've never bothered recording them as their own events. This also avoids me getting mixed up over exactly what someone's start date actually is! (This is not a silly question - if someone joined up under the Derby Scheme as a volunteer, arguably they joined the Army at their date of volunteering, and then went home until they were mobilised... Which is the "start"?)



Sheila Bryant
 

I can see that it might look like overkill, but I've found just using
the features I want/need and ignoring the rest works for me. I did
start to define new facts, but got in a right tangle and found I could
fit my guys into this framework. So far so good!

I too have volunteers/reservists who went on to join the "full"
service. In the past I've tended to view this as a form of transfer -
again, so far it works for me.

I guess the key is finding what works for you and going with it!

On Sat, 1 May 2021 at 17:34, Adrian Bruce <abruce6155@gmail.com> wrote:

It's very much a matter of preference but I found the Military History Fact Set to be rather too detailed for my family members - and for a One Name Study, I think that it would be overwhelming. Of course, you don't need to use all the fact types, you could just decide which you want to use and use Tools / Fact Types / Hide to hide the rest to avoid confusion.

I would suggest that you need to use at least
- Military Service attribute, whose value is the name of each unit that someone served in, with appropriate dates;
- Campaign Medal attribute whose value is the name(s) of all(?) the campaign medals issued to this guy;
- Gallantry Medal attribute whose value is the name of a Gallantry Medal awarded - with the appropriate award date;

You'd need to think what to do about Mentioned In Dispatches - I'd be inclined to put it in the Gallantry Medal attribute, rather than have its own attribute. The Silver War Badge is another oddity, perhaps. I'd be inclined to put that in a separate Campaign Medal attribute for each soldier, rather than in with the Campaign Medal attribute for the BWM and VM, simply because it's easier to work with.

Military Service attribute - I record this at the battalion / battery / company level etc - whatever the basic unit is. Of course, at the start and end of his career, you might only know that they were in Training or the Reserve - you might not know a more detailed description. Most people will have several Military Service attributes.

Whether you have separate events for demobbed and discharged is up to you - for my purposes I will normally enter the discharged date in the end date of the last Military Service attribute, while the demobbed date is just in the notes for a Military Service attribute. But if you want to run off a query listing these dates, then you really need to record them as events in their own right. I've never found the need to do that so I've never bothered recording them as their own events. This also avoids me getting mixed up over exactly what someone's start date actually is! (This is not a silly question - if someone joined up under the Derby Scheme as a volunteer, arguably they joined the Army at their date of volunteering, and then went home until they were mobilised... Which is the "start"?)


--
Sheila


Mike Heseltine <noguru48@...>
 

Thanks to everyone for their response. Will be spending this wet Bank Holiday working out my strategy.

Mike Heseltine

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 5:59 PM Sheila Bryant <sheila@...> wrote:
I can see that it might look like overkill, but I've found just using
the features I want/need and ignoring the rest works for me. I did
start to define new facts, but got in a right tangle and found I could
fit my guys into this framework. So far so good!

I too have volunteers/reservists who went on to join the "full"
service. In the past I've tended to view this as a form of  transfer -
again, so far it works for me.

I guess the key is finding what works for you and going with it!

On Sat, 1 May 2021 at 17:34, Adrian Bruce <abruce6155@...> wrote:
>
> It's very much a matter of preference but I found the Military History Fact Set to be rather too detailed for my family members - and for a One Name Study, I think that it would be overwhelming. Of course, you don't need to use all the fact types, you could just decide which you want to use and use Tools / Fact Types / Hide to hide the rest to avoid confusion.
>
> I would suggest that you need to use at least
>  - Military Service attribute, whose value is the name of each unit that someone served in, with appropriate dates;
>  - Campaign Medal attribute whose value is the name(s) of all(?) the campaign medals issued to this guy;
>  - Gallantry Medal attribute whose value is the name of a Gallantry Medal awarded - with the appropriate award date;
>
> You'd need to think what to do about Mentioned In Dispatches - I'd be inclined to put it in the Gallantry Medal attribute, rather than have its own attribute. The Silver War Badge is another oddity, perhaps. I'd be inclined to put that in a separate Campaign Medal attribute for each soldier, rather than in with the Campaign Medal attribute for the BWM and VM, simply because it's easier to work with.
>
> Military Service attribute - I record this at the battalion / battery / company level etc - whatever the basic unit is. Of course, at the start and end of his career, you might only know that they were in Training or the Reserve - you might not know a more detailed description. Most people will have several Military Service attributes.
>
> Whether you have separate events for demobbed and discharged is up to you - for my purposes I will normally enter the discharged date in the end date of the last Military Service attribute, while the demobbed date is just in the notes for a Military Service attribute. But if you want to run off a query listing these dates, then you really need to record them as events in their own right. I've never found the need to do that so I've never bothered recording them as their own events. This also avoids me getting mixed up over exactly what someone's start date actually is! (This is not a silly question - if someone joined up under the Derby Scheme as a volunteer, arguably they joined the Army at their date of volunteering, and then went home until they were mobilised... Which is the "start"?)
>
>
>



--
Sheila