Merging files


John Tempest
 

Hi,

I have tried to merge two files, unsuccessfully, as one is headed up male and the other female.

The position is that a John Elks was married twice. Firstly to Sarah (no children shown), then to Mary (two children, the second of which, Francis Elks, has all the descendants).

In the Property box the file under John Elks is correct showing first wife Sarah (with no children) and second wife Mary with her details and two children Elizabeth and Francis.

To go from the Property box of Elizabeth or Francis Elks to their parents it asks "Go to family of Mary DUTTON" or "Go to family of John ELKS and Mary DUTTON".

If I go to the Property box of the former, it shows Mary DUTTON with firstly NO SPOUSE and the two children, plus a "second" spouse JOHN with the same two children.

I don't know how I got myself into this position, but I need to get rid of the NO SPOUSE entry for Mary and the duplicate entries for the children.

In the Records window each of the individuals has only one ID number, so I'm afraid of deleting more than I intend.

It's a bit convoluted, but could someone help me please?

Cheers, John Tempest. 


Jenny Cochrane
 

No doubt the experts will be along soon, but this is how I would do it. It's actually pretty straightforward.


Open Mary in the property box then go to the ALL tab in that property box. You will see a list of facts and information about Mary including "spouse family". There should be 2 spouse families - one for John Elks and one for unknown. Click on the words "spouse family" for the unknown spouse you want to delete and press the delete key. This will then leave Mary and her children connected to John Elks.

Remember there is an "undo" button in the edit menu so if you do the above and then panic it is easy to backtrack!

Cheers

Jenny


On Sunday, 6 November 2022 at 07:52:53 GMT, John Tempest via groups.io <jonantee@...> wrote:


Hi,

I have tried to merge two files, unsuccessfully, as one is headed up male and the other female.

The position is that a John Elks was married twice. Firstly to Sarah (no children shown), then to Mary (two children, the second of which, Francis Elks, has all the descendants).

In the Property box the file under John Elks is correct showing first wife Sarah (with no children) and second wife Mary with her details and two children Elizabeth and Francis.

To go from the Property box of Elizabeth or Francis Elks to their parents it asks "Go to family of Mary DUTTON" or "Go to family of John ELKS and Mary DUTTON".

If I go to the Property box of the former, it shows Mary DUTTON with firstly NO SPOUSE and the two children, plus a "second" spouse JOHN with the same two children.

I don't know how I got myself into this position, but I need to get rid of the NO SPOUSE entry for Mary and the duplicate entries for the children.

In the Records window each of the individuals has only one ID number, so I'm afraid of deleting more than I intend.

It's a bit convoluted, but could someone help me please?

Cheers, John Tempest. 


Mike Tate
 

The solution suggested by Jenny is mostly correct but may leave the children linked to a family with no parents.

 

The clue is that all the entries for Mary DUTTON have the same Record Id.

So there is no duplication of Individual records.

When strange family relationships like this appear it is usually a problem with Family records.

 

So in the Records Window on the Families tab find the two Family records involving Mary DUTTON.

One will be coupled with John ELKS and the other will have no partner.

Delete the record for Mary DUTTON that has no partner.

 

Alternatively, make Mary DUTTON the Focus person in the Focus Window.

She will appear with John Elks and also on her own, both will have the children listed.

Click on the blue bar that runs across below the solitary Mary DUTTON entry to open the Family record.

From the Property Box click the Go To Record button at the top and delete the highlighted record.

,_


John Tempest
 

Hi Mike and Jenny,

Thankyou for your input. 

Mary DUTTON is now deleted and the two children are still listed in the "Individual Records". In an effort to confirm that all is well I tried to bring up the Property Box of John Elks. That is where the new wrinkle lies. From the "Individual Records" I get no response from double clicking on a name OR by clicking once on the name plus clicking the Property Box tab. It is the same for any name in my records. I've also tried the GO TO box to no avail.

Do you know why this is so?

Cheers, John Tempest.



------ Original Message ------
From: "Mike Tate" <post@...>
To: family-historian@groups.io
Sent: Sunday, 6 Nov, 2022 At 9:33 PM
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Merging files

The solution suggested by Jenny is mostly correct but may leave the children linked to a family with no parents.

 

The clue is that all the entries for Mary DUTTON have the same Record Id.

So there is no duplication of Individual records.

When strange family relationships like this appear it is usually a problem with Family records.

 

So in the Records Window on the Families tab find the two Family records involving Mary DUTTON.

One will be coupled with John ELKS and the other will have no partner.

Delete the record for Mary DUTTON that has no partner.

 

Alternatively, make Mary DUTTON the Focus person in the Focus Window.

She will appear with John Elks and also on her own, both will have the children listed.

Click on the blue bar that runs across below the solitary Mary DUTTON entry to open the Family record.

From the Property Box click the Go To Record button at the top and delete the highlighted record.

,_

     


Jenny Cochrane
 

Hi John

I don't really understand what is happening here. Firstly I would go to the cog symbol at the top of the properties box, then go to options / records window and make sure that the "double click on record in Record List does default record action" is highlighted blue.

The Go To option takes you to the record not the properties box.

You say you get no response from clicking on the name and then on the Property Box tab. Just to clarify, in the individuals tab of the record window, you should click to highlight the individual's name, the use the right mouse key to open a pop up menu, then click on "properties" once. Similarly in the Focus window, right click on the highlighted individual and then click properties. Alternatively, if you go to "Focus Window" in the options menu you can set the "double click action" to "view in property box".

Hope that helps. Please come back if I have misunderstood.

Jenny



On Monday, 7 November 2022 at 08:21:18 GMT, John Tempest via groups.io <jonantee@...> wrote:


Hi Mike and Jenny,

Thankyou for your input. 

Mary DUTTON is now deleted and the two children are still listed in the "Individual Records". In an effort to confirm that all is well I tried to bring up the Property Box of John Elks. That is where the new wrinkle lies. From the "Individual Records" I get no response from double clicking on a name OR by clicking once on the name plus clicking the Property Box tab. It is the same for any name in my records. I've also tried the GO TO box to no avail.

Do you know why this is so?

Cheers, John Tempest.



------ Original Message ------
From: "Mike Tate" <post@...>
To: family-historian@groups.io
Sent: Sunday, 6 Nov, 2022 At 9:33 PM
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Merging files

The solution suggested by Jenny is mostly correct but may leave the children linked to a family with no parents.

 

The clue is that all the entries for Mary DUTTON have the same Record Id.

So there is no duplication of Individual records.

When strange family relationships like this appear it is usually a problem with Family records.

 

So in the Records Window on the Families tab find the two Family records involving Mary DUTTON.

One will be coupled with John ELKS and the other will have no partner.

Delete the record for Mary DUTTON that has no partner.

 

Alternatively, make Mary DUTTON the Focus person in the Focus Window.

She will appear with John Elks and also on her own, both will have the children listed.

Click on the blue bar that runs across below the solitary Mary DUTTON entry to open the Family record.

From the Property Box click the Go To Record button at the top and delete the highlighted record.

,_

     


Mike Tate
 

That is very strange.

Having selected an Individual record in the Records Window what happens if you click the Focus magnifying glass icon in the toolbar near the top left?

It should open the Focus Window focused on that person with their Property Box open on the right.

 

Returning to the Records Window problem…

Is it possible that the Property Box is opening but is ‘floating’ almost completely off-screen or very small?

In Tools > Preferences > Workspaces set the Records Window ‘Preferred Position for Property Box’ to ‘Docked’ and close FH to close all windows.

After opening FH does the Property Box now appear in the Records Window ‘Docked’ on the right?

If so, what happens when you click the Float Property Box icon in its toolbar next to the Close Property Box red X?

 


John Tempest
 

Thanks again,

The points you raise Mike - (1) the Focus window works correctly as suggested. (2) The Property Box was almost off screen, which I hadn't noticed.

The family is all now in order, but when moving to the parents of either of the children (Elizabeth or Francis) I get the message "Go to family of (parents not known)"  and "Go to family of John ELKS and Mary DUTTON".

To click on the first option I just get the "Add parent" box. To click on the second option works fine.

So I just need to be able to remove the first option please.



------ Original Message ------
From: "Mike Tate" <post@...>
To: family-historian@groups.io
Sent: Monday, 7 Nov, 2022 At 9:40 PM
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Merging files

That is very strange.

Having selected an Individual record in the Records Window what happens if you click the Focus magnifying glass icon in the toolbar near the top left?

It should open the Focus Window focused on that person with their Property Box open on the right.

 

Returning to the Records Window problem…

Is it possible that the Property Box is opening but is ‘floating’ almost completely off-screen or very small?

In Tools > Preferences > Workspaces set the Records Window ‘Preferred Position for Property Box’ to ‘Docked’ and close FH to close all windows.

After opening FH does the Property Box now appear in the Records Window ‘Docked’ on the right?

If so, what happens when you click the Float Property Box icon in its toolbar next to the Close Property Box red X?

 

     


Mike Tate
 

I’m glad the Property Box is sorted out.

 

I wonder which corrective action you took to sort out Mary DUTTON?

1) Did you just delete the "spouse family" for the unknown spouse as suggested by Jenny?

2) Did you use the Records Window to delete the Family record ‘…of Mary DUTTON’ that had no partner as I suggested?

 

I did say that the method suggested by Jenny would probably leave the children linked to a parent-less Family record, and that is what you are describing.

 

So please use my method via the Records Window and delete the Family record ‘…of (parents not known)’ which if you sort by record name will be at the bottom of the list.


Jenny Cochrane
 

Apologies if I led you astray John. I tested my suggestion and it seemed to work but obviously not quite!

Thanks Mike. I always learn something new from your replies.

Jenny

On Monday, 7 November 2022 at 12:20:10 GMT, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:


I’m glad the Property Box is sorted out.

 

I wonder which corrective action you took to sort out Mary DUTTON?

1) Did you just delete the "spouse family" for the unknown spouse as suggested by Jenny?

2) Did you use the Records Window to delete the Family record ‘…of Mary DUTTON’ that had no partner as I suggested?

 

I did say that the method suggested by Jenny would probably leave the children linked to a parent-less Family record, and that is what you are describing.

 

So please use my method via the Records Window and delete the Family record ‘…of (parents not known)’ which if you sort by record name will be at the bottom of the list.


John Tempest
 

Hi Mike,

I managed to put everything right by deleting the family records as you suggested. All seems AOK now.

Thanks Mike and for you input Jenny.

Cheers, John Tempest.



------ Original Message ------
From: "Mike Tate" <post@...>
To: family-historian@groups.io
Sent: Monday, 7 Nov, 2022 At 11:19 PM
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Merging files

I’m glad the Property Box is sorted out.

 

I wonder which corrective action you took to sort out Mary DUTTON?

1) Did you just delete the "spouse family" for the unknown spouse as suggested by Jenny?

2) Did you use the Records Window to delete the Family record ‘…of Mary DUTTON’ that had no partner as I suggested?

 

I did say that the method suggested by Jenny would probably leave the children linked to a parent-less Family record, and that is what you are describing.

 

So please use my method via the Records Window and delete the Family record ‘…of (parents not known)’ which if you sort by record name will be at the bottom of the list.