Merging

Robert Bard <rhbard@...>

I have a cousin listed under my root project in which I have entered several of his ancestors.  Is it possible to create a new/additional project in Family Historian with my cousin being a new root and then merge him and his ancestors, keeping our joint ancestors in my project, to this new project?  It would save me re-entering everyone and then I can delete the unrelated ancestors from my project.  Thank you for your assistance.

Mike Tate

Hi Robert,

I think you are over-complicating things.

Here are two simpler methods:

1) Use File > Project Window > More Tasks > Copy Project and in the copy delete whatever Individual records are not required.

The File > Split Tree Helper… command can then be used to delete other types of records with no links to them.

2) Put all the Individual records to form the new Project into a Named List.

Use File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File and Select… the members of that Named List.

Use File > Project Window > New Project… > Import a GEDCOM file to create the new Project.

Set your cousin as the File Root.

Robert Bard <rhbard@...>

Thank you for the assistance.