Membership of ancestry.com

Sue Langabeer

Re: ancestry Dont know if you are in the UK but here in Devon we can access both Ancestry and Find My past for free at the local library.  I know it is nowhere near as handy as having it at home but it is cheaper!!

james o'kelly

Thank you, suzyblue, will check out our local library,

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 5:39 PM suzyblue via groups.io <suzyblue=talktalk.net@groups.io> wrote:
Re: ancestry Dont know if you are in the UK but here in Devon we can access both Ancestry and Find My past for free at the local library.  I know it is nowhere near as handy as having it at home but it is cheaper!!

Victor Markham

When you go to the library take your lap top (if you have one) so you can download and save anything yomay want from Ancestry. You can't do that on the library computers.

It has been awhile since I did anything like this so the library rules may have changed. Come to think of it I used some libraries outside my area.

Victor

On 17/05/2021 7:33 pm, james o'kelly wrote:
Thank you, suzyblue, will check out our local library,

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 5:39 PM suzyblue via groups.io <suzyblue=talktalk.net@groups.io> wrote:
Re: ancestry Dont know if you are in the UK but here in Devon we can access both Ancestry and Find My past for free at the local library.  I know it is nowhere near as handy as having it at home but it is cheaper!!

Neil Grantham

Victor,

Your library may differ, but I was able to save data from Ancestry Library Edition to a USB stick on the Library PC.

Not quite sure how you'd get it from the Library PC to your laptop any other way?

Best Wishes

Neil.

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------

Victor Markham

I was referring to the library computers forgot to mention flash drives.

Victor

------ Original Message ------ From: "Victor Markham via groups.io" <victor@...> To: family-historian@groups.io Sent: Monday, 17 May, 2021 At 20:37 Subject: Re: [family-historian] Membership of ancestry.com

[...]

Cathy Roberts

Ancestry Library edition allows you to email the records you find back to yourself - or it did a couple of years ago. At present a lot of libraries are allowing home access because of covid-19 but I don't  know how long that will last. It's  particularly useful if you have a British subscription but just need the odd foreign record!
Cheers
Cathy

On Mon, 17 May 2021, 20:42 Victor Markham via groups.io, <victor=markham.me.uk@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Yes you can,

Save > Send Image Home

Best Wishes

Neil.

[...]

Lyell Horwood

Free access to Ancestry via my local library from home is also available in Australia. I live in Melbourne and can access this via free online sign up at my local library and our State Library of Victoria.
Lyell

Jane Wilson

I'm in Hertfordshire and we can  log in to our  local  library with our membership card and pin number from own computer at home. We get free access to Ancestry but not Find my Past. Not sure for how much longer though. Jane

Randy Dykhuis

Not sure whether this is true worldwide, but in the US, Proquest, the vendor for the library version of Ancestry, announced the extension of home access to the library version through the end of September and said they would reconsider then what to do. It should also be mentioned that the library version is quite different from what you get with an individual subscription. While you can download images, you cannot attach them to your Ancestry family tree. In fact, with the library version, you have no ability to edit your family tree on Ancestry at all. For those us who only use Ancestry as a data source and keep our tree elsewhere, home access to the library version is a huge gift. If, however, you want to maintain your tree on Ancestry you will still need your own individual subscription.

I'm in Hertfordshire and we can  log in to our  local  library with our membership card and pin number from own computer at home. We get free access to Ancestry but not Find my Past. Not sure for how much longer though. Jane

Paul Reeve

I have been using ancestry library edition from our local library at home when needed. Although it is *very* useful, it's a bit clunky - for a start default no. of records shown is 20. Also there does not appear to be any way of listing "hits" in ancestry trees - I had found a tree with family who settled in Canada and the US on the UK edition, but it took me a long time (and trying 3 different people) before I found the same tree. I also open the library edition in a different browser, so I can have both open at the same time but don't get (too) confused

Paul