Media Window Problem

Andrew Braid

I have just upgraded to 7.0.5 When I click on the play icon in the media window I get the error message "The specified file was not found" The file is dislalying in the lower part of the media window so it has been found. I used this function yesterday with 7.0.3 and it worked fine. To the best of my knowledge nothing else has changed. What has happened?

Andrew Braid

Mike Tate

Andrew,

It is of course possible that v7.0.5 has introduced a bug, although unlikely.

Do you mean the Media Window workspace or the Media Tab of another record? I suspect the latter.

I think the image shown in the lower pane may be a thumbnail retrieved from the ThumbCache.dat file.

That may still get shown even when the file itself is unavailable.

Was it exactly the same Media file that opened via the Open in Editor/Player button successfully yesterday?

Use the Tools > External File Links… command and tick Show Broken Links Only.

What does that reveal?

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Andrew Braid
Sent: 08 May 2021 08:30
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Media Window Problem

I have just upgraded to 7.0.5 When I click on the play icon in the media window I get the error message "The specified file was not found" The file is dislalying in the lower part of the media window so it has been found. I used this function yesterday with 7.0.3 and it worked fine. To the best of my knowledge nothing else has changed. What has happened?

Andrew Braid

Andrew Braid

Mike

In the media window workspace the show media icon is greyed out.

When I click on the show media icon in the property box the citation widow appears and it is there where the show media arrow produces the error message.

I can't remember the record I was using yesterday but in a random sample today all have the same result.

I have no broken links.

Andrew

On 08/05/2021 10:12, Mike Tate wrote:

Andrew,

It is of course possible that v7.0.5 has introduced a bug, although unlikely.

Do you mean the Media Window workspace or the Media Tab of another record? I suspect the latter.

I think the image shown in the lower pane may be a thumbnail retrieved from the ThumbCache.dat file.

That may still get shown even when the file itself is unavailable.

Was it exactly the same Media file that opened via the Open in Editor/Player button successfully yesterday?

Use the Tools > External File Links… command and tick Show Broken Links Only.

What does that reveal?

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Andrew Braid
Sent: 08 May 2021 08:30
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Media Window Problem

Andrew Braid

Mike Tate

This is a scenario where screenshots would be invaluable, but attaching them to these Emails requires manual admin review which can delay things.

The FHUG Forum has no such problems with screenshots.

I cannot follow your descriptions and cannot find anything that fails.

The Media Window workspace is opened by clicking the View Media camera icon in the main FH toolbar.

But that does not have a ‘Show Media’ icon.

Do you mean the ‘Open Editor/Player’ ‘Play’ icon of green circle & black triangle?

That is greyed out until an image is selected. It then always displays the selected Media file for me.

In the Property Box, you are talking about the yellow Source Citation List Pane and its ‘Show Media’ toolbar icon.

That opens the floating yellow Citation Window and the ‘Open Editor/Player’ icon of green circle & black triangle always displays my selected Media file.

For me it works regardless of whether a Source Record or Citation-specific Media file.

All I can suggest is to re-install FH v7.0.5 and see if that fixes it. Otherwise, I am baffled.

I presume you have a standard up-to-date Windows PC and have not changed any Media playing tools.

Mike Tate

Andrew Braid

Mike

I realised that I had not restarted my machine after the upgrade. Now I have all is well.

Always look for the simplest solution!

Thanks for your help.

Andrew

On 08/05/2021 12:20, Mike Tate wrote:

This is a scenario where screenshots would be invaluable, but attaching them to these Emails requires manual admin review which can delay things.

The FHUG Forum has no such problems with screenshots.

I cannot follow your descriptions and cannot find anything that fails.

The Media Window workspace is opened by clicking the View Media camera icon in the main FH toolbar.

But that does not have a ‘Show Media’ icon.

Do you mean the ‘Open Editor/Player’ ‘Play’ icon of green circle & black triangle?

That is greyed out until an image is selected. It then always displays the selected Media file for me.

In the Property Box, you are talking about the yellow Source Citation List Pane and its ‘Show Media’ toolbar icon.

That opens the floating yellow Citation Window and the ‘Open Editor/Player’ icon of green circle & black triangle always displays my selected Media file.

For me it works regardless of whether a Source Record or Citation-specific Media file.

All I can suggest is to re-install FH v7.0.5 and see if that fixes it. Otherwise, I am baffled.

I presume you have a standard up-to-date Windows PC and have not changed any Media playing tools.

Mike Tate