Media sources

Don McQuade

Hi,

I am using V6.

I am familiar with adding media to my project but what is the correct way to record its source?

Am I right in assuming that you have to create a source for each media item, such as through the media link tool?

Thanks,

Don

Lorna Craig

It depends on the type of media. If it is an image of a source document, such as a birth/marriage/death certificate, you should create a source record for that document, possibly with a transcription of the text from source (not essential, but a good idea if the document is hard to read), and the source record can contain any relevant details about the repository, publication information or whatever else you feel is appropriate.  Then link the Media record to the Source record, and cite the Source against all the facts you can glean from it.

If it is a photo of a person, linked direct to the individual's record, or a photo of an event, for example a wedding photo which you might link direct to the marriage event, the image itself is not a source but more of an 'illustration'.  In this case you might still want to record where you got the picture from (a family photo album, a facebook page, a newspaper) but I would put that information in the main Note field for the Media record.  (This is not the same as the note field which can be used as a caption).

Lorna

On 05/04/2021 11:34, Don McQuade via groups.io wrote:
Hi,

I am using V6.

I am familiar with adding media to my project but what is the correct way to record its source?

Am I right in assuming that you have to create a source for each media item, such as through the media link tool?

Thanks,

Don
_

Victor Markham

What I do.

If it is a BMD certificate I have set up a folder on my computer called 'certificates' followed by a sub folders for each of BMD. These foldwers are in FH Project folder

I save each certifcate and go to the person on FH which they refer to. I then use AS to add then into FH.

For photos of individuals. I save them in a folder under the appropriate surname with subfolder of the person. e.g. Smith sunfolder John Smith. Then on FH I go to the appropriate person and add the photo from the folder where they are saved.

I do the same for census under appropriate years

Victor

On 05/04/2021 12:21 pm, Lorna Craig via groups.io wrote:

[...]

I am familiar with adding images to source records such as birth certificates.

For the occasional photo which is not from my collection I have just added the source in the Note field as suggested.
I now have a collection of photos of individuals which I have received from a cousin and feel it would be better to create a Source and link the photos to that rather than do individual Notes for each photo.
I feel the advantage of this is that I will be have all the photos listed on the Media tab of the Source for future reference.

Like so many other aspects of FH I suppose it comes down to individual preference as long as the job gets done.

Don