Media mysteriously linked to everyone


Pauline Parnell
 

I've no doubt that this is something I've done rather than something to do with FH, but I need help to resolve it.  I'm using 6.2.7

For some reason the jpeg and associated pdf for the death of one particular individual is now attached to everyone else who has a source for their death.  In cases where I have already imported an image for that individual, both sets appear.  However, in a couple of cases where there is only a pdf of the death certificate, that's missing and the bogus images alone are there.  I've checked in the media folder and the missing pdfs are definitely within the programme.

I haven't got a clue what I've done or how to put it right.  Please help!

Pauline


Mike Tate
 

Pauline,

I suspect you are a Method 2 ‘lumper’ of Source Citations.

So you only have one Source record for all Death source citations.

It is each local Citation that is specific to each specific Death event fact.

 

If you attach Media to the one and only Source record then it appears against everyone who has a Death source citation.

You must take care to attach Death Certificate Media to the local Citation for the Death event in the Facts tab.

 

Have you attached Death Certificate Media to specific Death events before, or is this the first time?

 

Do you need more details of how to attach Media to specific Citations?

 

If you are intending to attach such Media for many Death facts it may be better to switch to the Method 1 ‘splitter’ strategy.

 

Mike Tate

_,_


Pauline Parnell
 

You’re right about me being a lumper Mike. This is my ‘death certificate’ source which I’ve been using for years without any problems.

I’ve just gone into the media window and checked when it was added. It looks like it was the last one I received from the GRO, so it’s a single error, although I’m not sure what I did differently to normal.

Is there an easy way to correct this error?

Pauline

On Tue, 20 Sep 2022 at 12:48, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Pauline,

I suspect you are a Method 2 ‘lumper’ of Source Citations.

So you only have one Source record for all Death source citations.

It is each local Citation that is specific to each specific Death event fact.

 

If you attach Media to the one and only Source record then it appears against everyone who has a Death source citation.

You must take care to attach Death Certificate Media to the local Citation for the Death event in the Facts tab.

 

Have you attached Death Certificate Media to specific Death events before, or is this the first time?

 

Do you need more details of how to attach Media to specific Citations?

 

If you are intending to attach such Media for many Death facts it may be better to switch to the Method 1 ‘splitter’ strategy.

 

Mike Tate

_,_


Mike Tate
 

To correct the problem, open the Source record Property Box and on its Media tab click the big red X ‘Unlink/Delete Media’ and choose ‘Unlink Only’.

That will stop the Media from appearing for everyone but retains the Media record linked to the Media file.

 

Now add the Media to the appropriate Citation as you have done for years, but choose ‘Link to Existing Media Record’ and select the Media unlinked above instead of using ‘Insert from File’.

 


Pauline Parnell
 

Mike, I've done what you said (I think).  I clicked on the big blue arrow in the yellow source pane, then on the media tab and both the jpeg and the pdf.

The issue I have is that other death records - maybe all with media - now have the little icon to say that they have media attached, but when I click on the icon there is no media attached to the citation. Somewhat worryingly, this now seems to be the case for births, baptisms and marriages as well when they were fine earlier on.  Is this a corrupted file?

On Tue, 20 Sept 2022 at 14:57, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

To correct the problem, open the Source record Property Box and on its Media tab click the big red X ‘Unlink/Delete Media’ and choose ‘Unlink Only’.

That will stop the Media from appearing for everyone but retains the Media record linked to the Media file.

 

Now add the Media to the appropriate Citation as you have done for years, but choose ‘Link to Existing Media Record’ and select the Media unlinked above instead of using ‘Insert from File’.

 


Mike Tate
 

In the popup Media for Fact dialogue, what ‘Include … Media’ options are ticked lower right?

 

I’m assuming it is the same as FH V7 to save me firing up my old PC with FH V6.2.7.

 


Pauline Parnell
 

Include citation media and include source record media.
 However, sometimes I get an icon on the yellow pane and nothing in the media pop up. When I use the drop down menu for media, the media is still visible with the other media I have for that person.

On Tue, 20 Sep 2022 at 15:50, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

In the popup Media for Fact dialogue, what ‘Include … Media’ options are ticked lower right?

 

I’m assuming it is the same as FH V7 to save me firing up my old PC with FH V6.2.7.

 


Mike Tate
 

Without screenshots, I’m losing track of exactly what you are doing.

In the yellow Sources For pane, you say the Source list can have a small media icon on the right.

You select that list entry and click the Show Media button in the toolbar below.

The ‘Media for Citation …’ popup window does not show any Media regardless of whether Citation Media or Source Record Media is chosen at the top.

Notice that those two options show the number of Media in brackets, e.g. Citation Media (2)   Source Record Media (1)

 

I’m not sure what you mean by “the drop down menu for media”. Can you explain where that menu option is located.

Perhaps you mean the toolbar camera icon Media option next to the magnifying glass Focus option.

Which option have you chosen? ‘View Media Linked to <person name>’ perhaps?

 

Mike

 


Pauline Parnell
 

Good morning Mike.  By the time I saw your email I had already lost the will to live and had stopped for the day.

I always follow the same routine when adding a citation for which I have media: click add citation, select or add new, click on the little picture icon next to the big cross and add media to citation.

The attached screenshot shows marriage media attached to a burial for which there should be no media - I haven't got round to cataloguing the image and attaching it.  If I untick the source media box it disappears, but the unlink button is greyed out.  How do I get rid of it?

It's probably a coincidence, but the images which are cropping up in odd places have all been added since I started having issues with my backup SSD.  I've had several backups fail to complete.

Regarding the media menu, yes I was referring to the camera icon and selecting all media attached to the individual with all options ticked.

I'll await your advice before I touch anything else.

thanks,
Pauline

On Tue, 20 Sept 2022 at 19:31, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Without screenshots, I’m losing track of exactly what you are doing.

In the yellow Sources For pane, you say the Source list can have a small media icon on the right.

You select that list entry and click the Show Media button in the toolbar below.

The ‘Media for Citation …’ popup window does not show any Media regardless of whether Citation Media or Source Record Media is chosen at the top.

Notice that those two options show the number of Media in brackets, e.g. Citation Media (2)   Source Record Media (1)

 

I’m not sure what you mean by “the drop down menu for media”. Can you explain where that menu option is located.

Perhaps you mean the toolbar camera icon Media option next to the magnifying glass Focus option.

Which option have you chosen? ‘View Media Linked to <person name>’ perhaps?

 

Mike

 


Mike Tate
 

Pauline, as I suggested yesterday, please use the picture icon Show Media button next to red X in the yellow Sources For pane toolbar.

That is the same button you use when you want to Add Media to the source citations.

The popup window says ‘Media for Citation …’ top right (and is far better than the ‘Media for Fact …’ window shown in your screenshot).

 

This window has two options that identify the number of Media in brackets, e.g. Citation Media (2)   Source Record Media (1)

So, you can easily display either Citation Media or Source Record Media that are attached by selecting one of those options.

Since you are a Method 2 ‘splitter’ I would expect the Source Record Media to always be (0) but it seems that sometimes it is not.

To unlink Media, select the Media image, use the ‘Unlink/Delete…’ button and select ‘Unlink Only’ so the Media Record linked to the Media file is retained.

(Then later, when you want to add that Media to a Citation, you can use the ‘Link to Existing Media Record…’ option instead of ‘Insert From File…’.)

 

In this window, take care when using the ‘Add Media for…’ button that you are adding to the Citation and not the Source Record.

It seems that recently you have accidentally been adding Media to the Source Record which is then applied to everyone’s fact that cites that Source Record.

When you added the Marriage media of the St-Petri-Kirche … Parish Records, you chose the Source Record instead of the Marriage fact Citation.

Thus every fact that cites the St-Petri-Kirche … Parish Records, like the Burial fact, will have the Marriage media attached.

 

I think it is highly unlikely that backup problems would affect your Project in such a way.

The consequences would be far more severe and random.

 


Pauline Parnell
 

This is getting ever more confusing.  I don't actually know how I came to have a window which says 'media for fact' because I only know one way to access the media, which is by clicking on the icon next to the big red cross. Is it because I left the pop up window open when moving between the children?  Having unlinked the marriage from the burial record in the screen shot, it has now vanished from the others as well.

How do I go about detaching the media from the source record?  Is doing it in one pop up window enough, or does that just unlink it from the record?  I am totally confused.  I've been using this programme for years and this has never happened before.  Not knowing how I got here means that I don't understand what needs to be done differently.  I still don't understand why the option to unlink the record was greyed out when I took the screen shot.

Thanks for your help.  At least I can detach things now.

Pauline

On Wed, 21 Sept 2022 at 12:17, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Pauline, as I suggested yesterday, please use the picture icon Show Media button next to red X in the yellow Sources For pane toolbar.

That is the same button you use when you want to Add Media to the source citations.

The popup window says ‘Media for Citation …’ top right (and is far better than the ‘Media for Fact …’ window shown in your screenshot).

 

This window has two options that identify the number of Media in brackets, e.g. Citation Media (2)   Source Record Media (1)

So, you can easily display either Citation Media or Source Record Media that are attached by selecting one of those options.

Since you are a Method 2 ‘splitter’ I would expect the Source Record Media to always be (0) but it seems that sometimes it is not.

To unlink Media, select the Media image, use the ‘Unlink/Delete…’ button and select ‘Unlink Only’ so the Media Record linked to the Media file is retained.

(Then later, when you want to add that Media to a Citation, you can use the ‘Link to Existing Media Record…’ option instead of ‘Insert From File…’.)

 

In this window, take care when using the ‘Add Media for…’ button that you are adding to the Citation and not the Source Record.

It seems that recently you have accidentally been adding Media to the Source Record which is then applied to everyone’s fact that cites that Source Record.

When you added the Marriage media of the St-Petri-Kirche … Parish Records, you chose the Source Record instead of the Marriage fact Citation.

Thus every fact that cites the St-Petri-Kirche … Parish Records, like the Burial fact, will have the Marriage media attached.

 

I think it is highly unlikely that backup problems would affect your Project in such a way.

The consequences would be far more severe and random.

 


Mike Tate
 

After displaying the ‘Media for Citation …’ window, if you click on the Buried fact in the Main tab, that window changes to ‘Media for Fact …’.

Click the Source record in the yellow Sources For pane and it changes back to ‘Media for Citation …’.

In the ‘Media for Fact …’ window the ‘Unlink/Delete’ button only applies to Media attached directly to the Fact.

So it is greyed out for Media attached to Citations or Source Records. Don’t ask me why.

 

To be pedantic, you have not unlinked the Marriage Media from the Burial fact Citation, but from the “St-Petri-Kirche … Parish Records” Source Record.

Presumably, that Source Record is cited by many, many facts, so unlinking the Marriage Media removes it from all those source citations for everyone.

So yes, unlinking in the one popup window is enough, because you chose the ‘Source Record Media’ option.

 

As I said, it seems you have accidentally been adding Media to the Source Record which is shared by everyone’s fact that cites that Source Record.

i.e. In the ‘Media for Citation …’ window you have accidentally selected the ‘Source Record Media’ option at the top.

So next time, double-check that ‘Citation Media’ is selected and the button says ‘Add Media for Citation’.

 

Perhaps you did not realise that a Fact is linked to one or more Citations, and each Citation is linked to one Source Record.

However, other Citations on other Facts may also be linked to and share that same Source Record.

So any Media linked to the Source Record is shared by all those Citations and associated Facts.

Whereas Media linked to a Citation only applies to one Fact.

 

For example, how many of your Facts cite the “St-Petri-Kirche … Parish Records” Source Record?

I suspect there are many Baptism, Marriage, and Burial facts that cite that specific Source Record if they took place in that church.

So if you add Media to the Source Record it is shared by all those Facts.

You usually add Media to the Citation that is local to each Fact.

However, somehow, the recent problem was caused by adding the Marriage Media to the Source Record by mistake.

It should have only been added to the Citation associated with a Marriage fact.

 


BillH
 

Mike,

Sorry to butt in on this conversation, but I have a question.

When I select an item on the Main tab of the Property Box such as a birth date or death date and then select a citation in the Sources For pane and click on the Show Media button it brings up the Citation Window open to the Media tab, not a window called Media for Citation...  On this window there is not any number in parentheses for Citation Media or Source Records Media (in fact those terms don't appear on the window anywhere).

Am I mis-understanding what you are describing?  I don't recall even seeing the Media for Citation... or Media for Fact... windows before.

Bill

On Wed, Sep 21, 2022, at 04:17 AM, Mike Tate wrote:

Pauline, as I suggested yesterday, please use the picture icon Show Media button next to red X in the yellow Sources For pane toolbar.

That is the same button you use when you want to Add Media to the source citations.

The popup window says ‘Media for Citation …’ top right (and is far better than the ‘Media for Fact …’ window shown in your screenshot).

 

This window has two options that identify the number of Media in brackets, e.g. Citation Media (2)   Source Record Media (1)

So, you can easily display either Citation Media or Source Record Media that are attached by selecting one of those options.

Since you are a Method 2 ‘splitter’ I would expect the Source Record Media to always be (0) but it seems that sometimes it is not.

To unlink Media, select the Media image, use the ‘Unlink/Delete…’ button and select ‘Unlink Only’ so the Media Record linked to the Media file is retained.

(Then later, when you want to add that Media to a Citation, you can use the ‘Link to Existing Media Record…’ option instead of ‘Insert From File…’.)




Pauline Parnell
 

Thanks Mike. I think I understand at last! I added a lot of images in a very short space of time, which is probably how the error crept in. I’ll be more careful in future!
Pauline 

On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 at 14:36, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

After displaying the ‘Media for Citation …’ window, if you click on the Buried fact in the Main tab, that window changes to ‘Media for Fact …’.

Click the Source record in the yellow Sources For pane and it changes back to ‘Media for Citation …’.

In the ‘Media for Fact …’ window the ‘Unlink/Delete’ button only applies to Media attached directly to the Fact.

So it is greyed out for Media attached to Citations or Source Records. Don’t ask me why.

 

To be pedantic, you have not unlinked the Marriage Media from the Burial fact Citation, but from the “St-Petri-Kirche … Parish Records” Source Record.

Presumably, that Source Record is cited by many, many facts, so unlinking the Marriage Media removes it from all those source citations for everyone.

So yes, unlinking in the one popup window is enough, because you chose the ‘Source Record Media’ option.

 

As I said, it seems you have accidentally been adding Media to the Source Record which is shared by everyone’s fact that cites that Source Record.

i.e. In the ‘Media for Citation …’ window you have accidentally selected the ‘Source Record Media’ option at the top.

So next time, double-check that ‘Citation Media’ is selected and the button says ‘Add Media for Citation’.

 

Perhaps you did not realise that a Fact is linked to one or more Citations, and each Citation is linked to one Source Record.

However, other Citations on other Facts may also be linked to and share that same Source Record.

So any Media linked to the Source Record is shared by all those Citations and associated Facts.

Whereas Media linked to a Citation only applies to one Fact.

 

For example, how many of your Facts cite the “St-Petri-Kirche … Parish Records” Source Record?

I suspect there are many Baptism, Marriage, and Burial facts that cite that specific Source Record if they took place in that church.

So if you add Media to the Source Record it is shared by all those Facts.

You usually add Media to the Citation that is local to each Fact.

However, somehow, the recent problem was caused by adding the Marriage Media to the Source Record by mistake.

It should have only been added to the Citation associated with a Marriage fact.

 


Mike Tate
 

Bill,

At the beginning of this thread, Pauline stated she is using FH V6.2.7 and you have forgotten the V6 ‘Media for Citation…’ window 😊

The ‘Media for Fact…’ window still exists in FH V7 via the Show Media button on the Facts tab.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of BillH
Sent: 21 September 2022 17:25
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Media mysteriously linked to everyone

 

Mike,

Sorry to butt in on this conversation, but I have a question.

When I select an item on the Main tab of the Property Box such as a birth date or death date and then select a citation in the Sources For pane and click on the Show Media button it brings up the Citation Window open to the Media tab, not a window called Media for Citation...  On this window there is not any number in parentheses for Citation Media or Source Records Media (in fact those terms don't appear on the window anywhere).

Am I mis-understanding what you are describing?  I don't recall even seeing the Media for Citation... or Media for Fact... windows before.

Bill


Pauline Parnell
 

Oh dear, I was thinking of getting version 7 - now I’m not sure I dare! 😂
Pauline

On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 at 18:08, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Bill,

At the beginning of this thread, Pauline stated she is using FH V6.2.7 and you have forgotten the V6 ‘Media for Citation…’ window 😊

The ‘Media for Fact…’ window still exists in FH V7 via the Show Media button on the Facts tab.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of BillH
Sent: 21 September 2022 17:25
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Media mysteriously linked to everyone

 

Mike,

Sorry to butt in on this conversation, but I have a question.

When I select an item on the Main tab of the Property Box such as a birth date or death date and then select a citation in the Sources For pane and click on the Show Media button it brings up the Citation Window open to the Media tab, not a window called Media for Citation...  On this window there is not any number in parentheses for Citation Media or Source Records Media (in fact those terms don't appear on the window anywhere).

Am I mis-understanding what you are describing?  I don't recall even seeing the Media for Citation... or Media for Fact... windows before.

Bill


BillH
 

Mike,

Ah... I missed that she was on 6.2.7.   It all makes sense now.  :-)

Thanks,
Bill

On Wed, Sep 21, 2022, at 10:08 AM, Mike Tate wrote:

Bill,

At the beginning of this thread, Pauline stated she is using FH V6.2.7 and you have forgotten the V6 ‘Media for Citation…’ window 😊

The ‘Media for Fact…’ window still exists in FH V7 via the Show Media button on the Facts tab.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of BillH
Sent: 21 September 2022 17:25
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Media mysteriously linked to everyone

 

Mike,

Sorry to butt in on this conversation, but I have a question.

When I select an item on the Main tab of the Property Box such as a birth date or death date and then select a citation in the Sources For pane and click on the Show Media button it brings up the Citation Window open to the Media tab, not a window called Media for Citation...  On this window there is not any number in parentheses for Citation Media or Source Records Media (in fact those terms don't appear on the window anywhere).

Am I mis-understanding what you are describing?  I don't recall even seeing the Media for Citation... or Media for Fact... windows before.

Bill



BillH
 

Pauline,

There isn't any problem in version 7.  It just introduced a new window call the Citation Window.  It displays source and citation info in a little different way which I find very intuitive and easy to use.  I don't think you would have any problems.

Bill

On Wed, Sep 21, 2022, at 10:10 AM, Pauline Parnell wrote:

Oh dear, I was thinking of getting version 7 - now I’m not sure I dare! 😂
Pauline

On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 at 18:08, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Bill,

At the beginning of this thread, Pauline stated she is using FH V6.2.7 and you have forgotten the V6 ‘Media for Citation…’ window 😊

The ‘Media for Fact…’ window still exists in FH V7 via the Show Media button on the Facts tab.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of BillH
Sent: 21 September 2022 17:25
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Media mysteriously linked to everyone

 

Mike,

Sorry to butt in on this conversation, but I have a question.

When I select an item on the Main tab of the Property Box such as a birth date or death date and then select a citation in the Sources For pane and click on the Show Media button it brings up the Citation Window open to the Media tab, not a window called Media for Citation...  On this window there is not any number in parentheses for Citation Media or Source Records Media (in fact those terms don't appear on the window anywhere).

Am I mis-understanding what you are describing?  I don't recall even seeing the Media for Citation... or Media for Fact... windows before.

Bill



Pauline Parnell
 

That sounds better. Thanks Bill.

On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 at 18:43, BillH <bhtemp99@...> wrote:
Pauline,

There isn't any problem in version 7.  It just introduced a new window call the Citation Window.  It displays source and citation info in a little different way which I find very intuitive and easy to use.  I don't think you would have any problems.

Bill

On Wed, Sep 21, 2022, at 10:10 AM, Pauline Parnell wrote:
Oh dear, I was thinking of getting version 7 - now I’m not sure I dare! 😂
Pauline

On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 at 18:08, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Bill,

At the beginning of this thread, Pauline stated she is using FH V6.2.7 and you have forgotten the V6 ‘Media for Citation…’ window 😊

The ‘Media for Fact…’ window still exists in FH V7 via the Show Media button on the Facts tab.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of BillH
Sent: 21 September 2022 17:25
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Media mysteriously linked to everyone

 

Mike,

Sorry to butt in on this conversation, but I have a question.

When I select an item on the Main tab of the Property Box such as a birth date or death date and then select a citation in the Sources For pane and click on the Show Media button it brings up the Citation Window open to the Media tab, not a window called Media for Citation...  On this window there is not any number in parentheses for Citation Media or Source Records Media (in fact those terms don't appear on the window anywhere).

Am I mis-understanding what you are describing?  I don't recall even seeing the Media for Citation... or Media for Fact... windows before.

Bill



Vyger
 

Pauline, if you work a lot with media then I would suggest yo do dare 😉

7.0.15 brought FH above any other genealogy program in my opinion, short promo video is linked below and I plan a more thorough one in the not too distant future.


Jackson


On Wed, 21 Sept 2022, 18:11 Pauline Parnell, <paulinelparnell@...> wrote:
Oh dear, I was thinking of getting version 7 - now I’m not sure I dare! 😂
Pauline

On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 at 18:08, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Bill,

At the beginning of this thread, Pauline stated she is using FH V6.2.7 and you have forgotten the V6 ‘Media for Citation…’ window 😊

The ‘Media for Fact…’ window still exists in FH V7 via the Show Media button on the Facts tab.

 

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of BillH
Sent: 21 September 2022 17:25
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Media mysteriously linked to everyone

 

Mike,

Sorry to butt in on this conversation, but I have a question.

When I select an item on the Main tab of the Property Box such as a birth date or death date and then select a citation in the Sources For pane and click on the Show Media button it brings up the Citation Window open to the Media tab, not a window called Media for Citation...  On this window there is not any number in parentheses for Citation Media or Source Records Media (in fact those terms don't appear on the window anywhere).

Am I mis-understanding what you are describing?  I don't recall even seeing the Media for Citation... or Media for Fact... windows before.

Bill