Media (jpg images) showing as icon

Jayne

I am using V7 and working my way through changing my generic sources to template-based and today I have hit a snag that is totally illogical to me and I cannot fathom what I am doing incorrectly.

On the media tab I have a list of images already in the file. I link the images on my hard drive through here to the FH file using the "file".  Then I link these media files through the property box, or in the source citation box to the relevant individual, or through the "add media to fact" in the property box. Everything has worked fine until today. In some cases, (not all) of the images I have linked, will only show as icons and not images. If I click on this icon it will load the full image into my editing program, no problem.  I cannot figure out why it is only showing an icon. I tried linking an image already working properly which I linked yesterday, but although that still shows the full photo in yesterday's link, the same image linked today will only show as an icon. I even tried saving a couple of images as pngs, but they still show only as an icon. Why would the same image linked in my media list only show as an icon in one link, but as an image in the other? Both paths are the same -it's a link to the same image. I am totally confused. Any ideas would be great thanks.

Robert Jordan

Dear Inker

If I understand your problem correctly I have had the same issue. I have added an image to a source citation connected to a fact. However, in the fact, in the property box. no image icon appears against that fact.

If you highlight the fact and then click on the image icon at the bottom immediately under the list of facts a dialogue box will appear.. In the bottom right hand corner of the dialogue box are Check boxes to show Images from Source and/or image from Citation.

It seems FH occasionally gets it wrong and that dialogue box will be checked for Source images and not citation images. By checking the citation image in the dialogue box  you should now be able to see the image icon against the fact if you have added the image to the citation.

I think Calico Pie needs to look at this as it all seems to revolve around the new Citation box facility. The logic of editing a citation does seem a bit confusing as the steps one has to follow seem to be in the wrong order. which makes it easy to make a mistake.

In my opinion editing the Citation box should initially give you the option of editing the citation or the source. Having selected that everything else should follow That is any text, notes or images should relate to either the citation or the source. As it stands if one wishes to edit a citation to enter text and then an image one has to remember to go back to check the source/ Citation box  and that is easy to omit.

R A Jordan