Marking DNA-proven ancestors in diagrams

jane.merkel@...

Hi there

I would like to mark DNA proven ancestors as a default function in all diagrams. I am thinking something like defining a new attribute “DNA proven” which then changes e.g. the background colour in the boxes in all diagrams. I’ve already defined the custom attribute but I’m now stuck at how to change the background colour depending on whether the individual has this attribute or not.

Or is there an easier or better way of achieving what I’m after?

Kind regards

Jane Merkel

Mike Tate

Hi Jane,

There is a lot of discussion on this topic in the FHUG Forums.

Also, Jane Taubman has an online article that covers a lot of the techniques including marking Diagram boxes.

See https://www.taubman.org.uk/family/wp/2019/03/13/recording-dna-matches-in-family-historian/

She uses a custom Event called GedMatch instead of a custom attribute called DNA Proven but the concepts are the same.

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of jane.merkel@...
Sent: 28 June 2020 16:15
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Marking DNA-proven ancestors in diagrams

Hi there

I would like to mark DNA proven ancestors as a default function in all diagrams. I am thinking something like defining a new attribute “DNA proven” which then changes e.g. the background colour in the boxes in all diagrams. I’ve already defined the custom attribute but I’m now stuck at how to change the background colour depending on whether the individual has this attribute or not.

Kind regards

Jane Merkel

Virus-free. www.avast.com

jane.merkel@...

Hi Mike

Thank you for the link. I knew there must be something but I couldn’t find it myself.

Regards

Jane

Von: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> Im Auftrag von Mike Tate
Gesendet: Sonntag, 28. Juni 2020 18:29
An: family-historian@groups.io
Betreff: Re: [family-historian] Marking DNA-proven ancestors in diagrams

Hi Jane,

Also, Jane Taubman has an online article that covers a lot of the techniques including marking Diagram boxes.

See https://www.taubman.org.uk/family/wp/2019/03/13/recording-dna-matches-in-family-historian/

She uses a custom Event called GedMatch instead of a custom attribute called DNA Proven but the concepts are the same.

Regards, Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of jane.merkel@...

Hi there

Kind regards

Jane Merkel

jane.merkel@...

Hi again Mike

Unfortunately, I can’t get this to work.

I’ve defined a (custom) individual attribute “DNA Ancestor”. And given this attribute to my father.

And then gone to Diagram/Options/Boxes/Add condition with the expression %INDI._ATTR-DNA_ANCESTOR[1]% and then chosen a box fill in a certain colour. Nothing happens.

But if I choose any standard individual attribute for the condition (as opposed to my custom attribute), the box fill works when the condition exists for that individual.

Have I made a mistake in the definition of the attribute? I can’t see where I’ve gone wrong.

Regards

Jane

Von: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> Im Auftrag von Mike Tate
Gesendet: Sonntag, 28. Juni 2020 18:29

Hi Jane,

Regards, Mike Tate

Hi there

Kind regards

Jane Merkel

Jane Taubman

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 at 20:26, <jane.merkel@...> wrote:

I’ve defined a (custom) individual attribute “DNA Ancestor”. And given this attribute to my father.

Did you put a value into the  attribute or have you simply added a blank attribute, what happens if you add a value? 
If you only want to flag the records you could simply use a flag rather than an attribute.

--

jane.merkel@...

It was the missing value! Now it works!

I didn’t realise that a value was necessary. I just typed in “proved” as a value and Bingo!

Thanks for your very quick help!

Kind regards

Jane Merkel

Von: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> Im Auftrag von Jane Taubman
Gesendet: Sonntag, 28. Juni 2020 21:33
An: family-historian <family-historian@groups.io>

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 at 20:26, <jane.merkel@...> wrote:

Did you put a value into the  attribute or have you simply added a blank attribute, what happens if you add a value? 

If you only want to flag the records you could simply use a flag rather than an attribute.

--

Mike Tate

If you don’t want to have to add a value then use this Expression:

=Exists( %INDI._ATTR-DNA_ANCESTOR[1]% )

Sent: 28 June 2020 20:46
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Marking DNA-proven ancestors in diagrams

I didn’t realise that a value was necessary. I just typed in “proved” as a value and Bingo!

Kind regards

Jane Merkel

jane.merkel@...

Morning Mike,

thank you for this; good to know. Now that I have got passed the testing phase, I have decided that it’s quite useful to enter some further information as a value.

Jane

Gesendet: Sonntag, 28. Juni 2020 22:37

If you don’t want to have to add a value then use this Expression:

=Exists( %INDI._ATTR-DNA_ANCESTOR[1]% )

Sent: 28 June 2020 20:46

Kind regards

Jane Merkel

Trevor Rix

I set a flag for people that I have proved to be DNA proven relatives. The flag switches on the orange box lines for those people.

Trevor Rix

jane.merkel@...

Thanks for this, Trevor.

I’ve never used flags so I will have a go and see how I like it.

Kind regards

Jane

Von: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> Im Auftrag von Trevor Rix
Gesendet: Sonntag, 28. Juni 2020 17:24

I set a flag for people that I have proved to be DNA proven relatives. The flag switches on the orange box lines for those people.

Trevor Rix

Mike Tate

Whether to use a Record Flag or a Custom Fact depends on what you want to record about your DNA match.

If it is simply a Yes/No for DNA Proven then a Record Flag is ideal.

If you want to record when & where DNA was Proven together with associated data and notes of why you think it is proven, then a Custom Fact is what you need.

Sent: 29 June 2020 16:53

Thanks for this, Trevor.

Kind regards

Jane

Von: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> Im Auftrag von Trevor Rix

Trevor Rix

jane.merkel@...

Thank you, Mike. I’m using a Custom Fact because I would like to include some qualifying information.

Jane

Gesendet: Montag, 29. Juni 2020 17:58

Whether to use a Record Flag or a Custom Fact depends on what you want to record about your DNA match.

If it is simply a Yes/No for DNA Proven then a Record Flag is ideal.

If you want to record when & where DNA was Proven together with associated data and notes of why you think it is proven, then a Custom Fact is what you need.

Sent: 29 June 2020 16:53

Thanks for this, Trevor.

Kind regards

Jane

Trevor Rix