Managing places

Barbara Zanzig

I've just spent 3 days geocoding the German part of my one name study, and I sure don't want to do it again! How does one import and export all this excellent place data so it can be reused, edited, etc? I have about 1500 place names, not all of which are unique places.

I had to do a lot of manual lookups in Meyers Orts gazetteer for places that barely exist anymore. The names don't match the modern names so I'm adding standardized names too. I want to save a master geocoded list so it can be reapplied to other projects, if possible, or sent to other programs.

I haven't seen anything that applies in the knowledge bases or plugin store but I might not have the right search words.

Mike Tate

Hi Barbara,

This topic has been discussed in the FHUG Forums.

To save a master geocoded list use the File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File… command.

Use the following option settings:

Do NOT Select any Individual records.

Tick all Records to Exclude except Place Records.

Tick to Exclude all Facts & Notes.

Media Records: Exclude

Source Records: Exclude

Then click OK and ignore the warning about no Individual records to produce a GEDCOM file of only Place records.

That GEDCOM can be used with File > Merge/Compare File to import into a new empty Project.

To obtain a listing of all Place record details use Publish > Record Details Report > Record Detail – Places.

Select all the Place records and in Report > Options > Page Layout untick Start records on new page.

That report can be saved as a PDF or RTF word-processor document.

Mike Tate

I've just spent 3 days geocoding the German part of my one name study, and I sure don't want to do it again! How does one import and export all this excellent place data so it can be reused, edited, etc? I have about 1500 place names, not all of which are unique places.

I had to do a lot of manual lookups in Meyers Orts gazetteer for places that barely exist anymore. The names don't match the modern names so I'm adding standardized names too. I want to save a master geocoded list so it can be reapplied to other projects, if possible, or sent to other programs.

I haven't seen anything that applies in the knowledge bases or plugin store but I might not have the right search words.

Mike Tate

P.S.

Forgot to say in the Export > GEDCOM File… command you must untick Unconnected Records too!

I've just spent 3 days geocoding the German part of my one name study, and I sure don't want to do it again! How does one import and export all this excellent place data so it can be reused, edited, etc? I have about 1500 place names, not all of which are unique places.

I had to do a lot of manual lookups in Meyers Orts gazetteer for places that barely exist anymore. The names don't match the modern names so I'm adding standardized names too. I want to save a master geocoded list so it can be reapplied to other projects, if possible, or sent to other programs.

I haven't seen anything that applies in the knowledge bases or plugin store but I might not have the right search words.

Barbara Zanzig

Seems convoluted but that's a lot of options! Good to know I can do it. This program is in many ways even more complex than TMG, the learning curve right now is steep.

On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 2:53 AM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

[...]

 ,_._,_

Mike Tate

It is not as convoluted as it sounds because many of those are the default options.

Usually, most of the records of the Project need to be exported.

So it is not surprising that to export just Place Records needs a few options changed.