Lost To Do function

Mike Tate

It is clear that none of your custom settings for the To Do fact, the To Do tab, or the To Do reports have migrated to the new PC.

I presume the FHUG Guide you followed is the Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-copy-and-migration-guide/

The crucial section is Copying Program Settings.

Ensure the latest version of the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings plugin is installed from the Plugin Store on both PC.

You must run that plugin on the old PC using its Backup tab to create a backup folder.

Copy that backup folder to the new PC in its Documents or Family Historian Projects folder.

Run the plugin on the new PC, select the copied folder, and use the Restore tab.

Mike Tate

Tom Gray

Mike

First deleted the plugin on both machines. Downloaded to each machine Ver 3.1 updated  11 May 2021.

On the old machine when I highlight the plugin and click on Run I get this error message

Plugin Errot. C:\ProgramData\CalicoPie\Family Historian\Plugins\md5.lua:8:attempt to call a nil value  (global module). No changes have been made to data records.

On the new machine when clicking on Run I get the large red warning Important Please Read message and the option to continue.

I cancel at that point because there is no backup to restore.

Tom

It is clear that none of your custom settings for the To Do fact, the To Do tab, or the To Do reports have migrated to the new PC.

I presume the FHUG Guide you followed is the Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-copy-and-migration-guide/

The crucial section is Copying Program Settings.

Ensure the latest version of the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings plugin is installed from the Plugin Store on both PC.

You must run that plugin on the old PC using its Backup tab to create a backup folder.

Copy that backup folder to the new PC in its Documents or Family Historian Projects folder.

Run the plugin on the new PC, select the copied folder, and use the Restore tab.

Tom,

Sorry, you are running problems.

You did not need to delete the old plugins first, but that should have done no harm.

There is something faulty about the FH v7.0.8 installation on your old PC.

I suspect it was updated from the FH v6.2.7 installation that holds the md5.lua library module and other modules in the Plugins folder.

Whereas, FH v7.0.8 holds those library modules pre-installed in the Program Files installation folder.

That problem could affect many plugins on the old PC.

So download the ‘Delete old FH6 Plugin Module Files’ from the Plugin Store to just the old PC.

Run that on the old PC and then the ‘Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings’ plugin will run correctly.

You can then return to solving the original migration problem.

Mike Tate

Tom Gray

Mike,

The “Delete old FH6 Plugin Module Files” worked and I was then able to run the Backup and restore FH Settings plugin. I ran it to the Downloads folder on the old PC and it created the Family Historian folder and then copied it (Ctrl C – Ctrl V) to The USB Drive which wasn’t attached at the time I did the backup.

Can I run the Restore part of the plugin using the folder from the USB Drive or do I need to move it from the USB to within FH.? Never done a restore before so don’t want to get that wrong.

I have added 21 individuals in to FH on the new PC so they will not be on the restored file from the old PC. I have done a full backup of FH from the new PC. If I ran that backup after the plugin restore is done would that affect anything? I am not too bothered if I have to re-enter them.

Tom Gray

You did not need to delete the old plugins first, but that should have done no harm.

There is something faulty about the FH v7.0.8 installation on your old PC.

I suspect it was updated from the FH v6.2.7 installation that holds the md5.lua library module and other modules in the Plugins folder.

Whereas, FH v7.0.8 holds those library modules pre-installed in the Program Files installation folder.

That problem could affect many plugins on the old PC.

So download the ‘Delete old FH6 Plugin Module Files’ from the Plugin Store to just the old PC.

Run that on the old PC and then the ‘Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings’ plugin will run correctly.

You can then return to solving the original migration problem.

Yes, you can run the Backup and Restore FH Settings plugin directly against the USB drive.

However, don’t select the Family Historian folder itself. Select its parent folder for the Restore operation.

I can understand your misunderstanding but don’t confuse these custom settings backups with Project data backups.

The Backup and Restore FH Settings plugin can be used at any time to preserve custom settings or migrate them between PC.

The custom settings cover Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Fact Sets, Plugins, etc, but are quite separate from Projects.

The FH File > Backup/Restore > Backup and Restore commands only affect the Project database, GEDCOM, and Media files.

That does NOT include the custom settings discussed above.

So the Project backup ZIP file you created on the new PC needs to be copied to the old PC.

On the old PC using the File > Backup/Restore > Restore command and select the ZIP file.

That will create a new Project alongside the original with a suffix (2) on its Project name.

Those two types of backup and restore can be performed completely independently of each other.

See the FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Backup and Recovery’ advice for full details:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/backup-and-recovery/

When you have the two PC operating the same way on the same data we can discuss other ways to synchronise them.

Tom Gray

Mike,

Not sure what you mean by parent folder. I have the Family Historian folder and within it an Application, Program Data and Tutorial folders along with separate Registry.keys and Version.data files. Hopefully that’s what I should have and it is the Family Historian folder I should select and not any of the contents.

After that I can run the back up from the new PC.

You are right I did think that the plugin backup covered everything so lesson learned and I will run it occasionally as a separate backup.

Thanks for the offer to help with synchronizing the PC’s but it is not my intention to run FH on both PC’s. The old one is coming up for 10 years in age.

After a suitable time (just to make sure I have covered all the data on the old one) it will be wiped and restored to factory settings and then donated to a charity who can make use of it assuming they will accept one of that age.

[...]

The parent folder is the one above the Family Historian folder.

The folders you mention within it are what I expect, but they are child folders.

The plugin will not let you choose the Family Historian folder.

When you ran the plugin to create that backup, each screen identified a Backup Folder, which was probably your default Backup folder for Project backups.

The Family Historian folder was created within that Backup Folder and that backup folder is, therefore, the parent folder.

If there is no parent folder on the USB stick, then I think just selecting the drive will work.

Otherwise, you will have to copy the USB stick to a folder on the new PC and choose that as the parent Backup Folder.

Tom Gray

Mike,

When selecting the drive the plugin says Error Backup folder has no Family Historian version 7.0.8.2 backup data saved.

The backup folder shown in the plugin is

C:\Users\Tom Gray\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Gray Tree\Public

When going to that folder it is empty. Should I move the Fam Historian folder to there?

The Settings path C:\ProgramData|Calico Pie

Tom

The parent folder is the one above the Family Historian folder.

The folders you mention within it are what I expect, but they are child folders.

The plugin will not let you choose the Family Historian folder.

When you ran the plugin to create that backup, each screen identified a Backup Folder, which was probably your default Backup folder for Project backups.

The Family Historian folder was created within that Backup Folder and that backup folder is, therefore, the parent folder.

If there is no parent folder on the USB stick, then I think just selecting the drive will work.

Otherwise, you will have to copy the USB stick to a folder on the new PC and choose that as the parent Backup Folder.

Mike Tate

So presumably the USB stick has as its root:

E:\Family Historian\

where E: is the USB drive letter.

Yes, it is probably easiest to copy the USB Family Historian folder to C:\Users\Tom Gray\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Gray Tree\Public

So you end up with C:\Users\Tom Gray\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Gray Tree\Public\Family Historian

Then the … \Gray Tree\Public folder should work as the Backup Folder.

We need to check afterwards why that is being chosen as the Backup Folder.

Perhaps the FH Tools > Preferences > Backup > Default Backup Folder has not been defined?

Tom Gray

Mike,

Moving the FH folder from D: to the C:\Users\Tom Gray\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Gray Tree\Public\Family Historian

allowed the plugin to run the restore however it has made no difference. The To Do function is still missing as are the reports from them.

What has happened is that there is now a duplicate Gray Tree (2) folder and all the relevant files within it.

I would imagine I am safe to delete the Gray Tree (2) folder and it’s contents?

I am wondering if the move from V6 to V7 changed the To Do function in some way as there is now a Research Notes function which is new to V7.

Since moving to V7 I have not used the To Do function until last week so it may have been “missing” after the change.

If that were the case or the functions altered then there may have been no Settings to backup.

Ignore me if I’m talking a load of rubbish.

On FHUG I see there is still a To Do function and associated reports available to download which may be the easiest option. Or else I may need to learn all about the Research Note function instead of taking up a great deal of your time.

Tom

So presumably the USB stick has as its root:

E:\Family Historian\

where E: is the USB drive letter.

Yes, it is probably easiest to copy the USB Family Historian folder to C:\Users\Tom Gray\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Gray Tree\Public

So you end up with C:\Users\Tom Gray\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Gray Tree\Public\Family Historian

Then the … \Gray Tree\Public folder should work as the Backup Folder.

We need to check afterwards why that is being chosen as the Backup Folder.

Perhaps the FH Tools > Preferences > Backup > Default Backup Folder has not been defined?

Mike Tate

Tom,

Let us recap for a moment. There are several questions below, so please answer them all.

Are you focussing on just the ‘Backup and Restore FH Settings’ plugin or migrating Project Backups too?

Which PC are you talking about regarding the Gray Tree (2) folder?

As I said earlier, using the FH command File > Backup/Restore > Restore on a Project ‘Gray Tree’ Backup ZIP file will do that.

However, that is nothing to do with the ‘Backup and Restore FH Settings’ plugin.

Does that ‘Gray Tree (2)’ appear as a Project in the File > Projects Window?

Don’t delete anything until I say so.

What exactly do you mean by the To Do function? There is a fact, a report and a tab, but not a function.

Upgrading from FH v6.2 to FH v7.0 will not change the To Do features in any way except for the Property Box tab named To Do.

It certainly will not make use of the new Research Notes.

I am not clear now whether the To Do fact and To Do reports were working correctly on the old PC. Please confirm?

If they don’t work there then they will not migrate to the new PC.

If the Property Box tab named To Do is missing from the old PC then it needs to be reinstated.

See the FH Help > Family Historian Help > Notes on Upgrading to Version 7:

That has ‘Important Notes on Restoring Property Box Customizations’ that you must follow to get the To Do tab back.

Please let me know if that works

Tom Gray

Mike,

Recap: Old PC Upgraded to FH V7 about 1st quarter this year from FH V6. I did next to no work on FH  until a few weeks ago. I had a new PC and transferred FH V7 to it with no apparent issues. I had input data for about 21 individuals when I realized the To Do Tab in the Property Box was missing.

The property fact is still in the list of other facts but no longer at the top of the list. It is sometimes in the middle or bottom of the list. Clicking on it the text is still there i.e. Birth: to be found Death: to confirm. So it appears no data has been lost.

Column headers had been created for the Records window so that each of the To Do items Birth: Marriage: Death: could be seen against each individual for whom an entry had ben done. Those column headers were no longer there nor available to configure to the Records window. There is however a To Do column header that could be added to the records window. I did add it but there is nothing to show under it so have removed it from the record window.

The To Do List and To Do Task reports are also missing from the Publish>Custom Reports it says Empty.

I thought that I had probably done something wrong using the Backup & Restore FH Settings Plugin so then asked for advice on whether I could re-run on the old PC and run the restore on the new PC.

To answer your questions.

I am focusing on Just the Backup & Restore FH Settings plugin. (Probably no longer a factor see below)

The new PC is the one with the duplicate Gray Tree folder.

Running the Restore from the plugin when the FH Backup folder was in D: USB Drive gave Error Backup folder has no Family Historian version 7.0.8.2 backup data saved. The Backup folder in the plugin was shown as C:\Users\Tom Gray\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Gray Tree\Public. On checking that folder on the New PC it was empty and the FH Backup folder was moved to that location after which the Restore on the plugin ran and completed. I then ran the File Project Backup (to capture the individuals I had added in to the new PC) as we discussed earlier that it would be OK to do so. I then checked to see if the To Do fact, Report and Tab had been reinstated but they had not. Things were just as they were before.

I then checked the C:\Users\Tom Gray\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Gray Tree\Public and saw that there was a duplicate Gray tree (2).

Which PC are you talking about regarding the Gray Tree (2) folder? The New One

Does The Gray tree (2) appear as a Project in the File>Projects window. Yes. Maybe because I ran the Project backup after the Plugin one. As requested I have not deleted the duplicate until you advise whether I should.

What I mean by “Funtion”.

My terminology is perhaps not as technically suitable or accurate as it could be.

So to me the “function” of the To Do Fact, report and Tab and the Column configuration on the records window was to provide me with a B,M,D column on the Records window so that I could see what I needed to do for each individual I had entered a To Do against (a B, M, or D). I could also run the reports and print if required.

Were the To Do fact and To Do reports working on the old PC.

Yes under FH V6.2. I upgraded to FH V7 on the old PC but as mentioned did practically no work on FH and only when I started on the new PC after transferring FH V7 from the old one has the issue come to light.

I have gone back to the old one and they are not working on it either. So what I have on the new PC is what was transferred from the old PC. My thoughts that I had done something wrong when using the Plugin were incorrect and there would have been no Customized settings on the old PC for it to backup & restore.

This suggests to me that the upgrade from FH V6.2 to FH V7 may have something to do with it and as you have pointed out, under the Notes on upgrading to V7 is states that previously property box customization will appear to have disappeared but in fact are temporarily suspended and can be restored.

I have followed the advice on restoring the customizations. Property Box>Menu>Customize Property Box which opens the Customize Property Box Window. Now I will readily admit that I do not know which Record Type I would need to restore. What I decided to do was go through the process for all of them, take a note and then ask your advice as to which was the one I needed to restore. So I unticked the Show most commonly used items only so that I would see them all. I checked each Record Type and each Available item within them but there are no old versions found available to restore.

I hope this clarifies things and will do nothing until I hear from you.

[...]

Thank you for that appraisal, which puts a new perspective on the situation.

I must apologise for assuming that everything was working on the old PC.

The earliest installations of FH v7.0 did have a habit of not retaining all the custom settings.

That is where the Backup & Restore FH Settings plugin would have been useful to recover any lost settings.

Bear that in mind for any future upgrades to FH.

As you say, if nothing worked on the old PC then that translates to nothing working on the new PC.

Given that you are not keeping the old PC we may as well abandon synchronising with it and just focus on the new PC.

Follow the FHUG Knowledge Base advice for ‘To Do Lists’ and the ‘To-Do List Attribute’ as you did originally:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/download/to-do-lists-9/

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/to-do-list-attribute/

Download and install the Fact Set, Property Box Tab, Report, and Query as required.

I am 99.9% certain they will all work with FH v7.0.

You can customise the Records Window columns as explained in the ‘To-Do List Attribute’ advice.

Once all is working again and you are comfortable that the Gray Tree project is fully functional and up to date then you can delete the Gray Tree (2) project.

i.e. In the File > Project Window use More Tasks… > Delete Project.

I hope that resolves all the issues.

Mike Tate

Tom Gray

Mike,

All back and working as before.

I can run the To Do List and To Do list for an individual.

I have the Records window configured to allow me to see the results against each individual.

Gray Tree (2) deleted.

I have run a Project Backup.

I also ran a Backup & Restore FH Settings plugin one and will be doing so on a regular basis.

FH is a very powerful and complex piece of software of which I probably only use 10 or 15% of it’s capability.

A bit like a F1 racing car but I only use the equivalent of a Ford Escort.

Without the help of people like yourself I would struggle so many thanks for your time and patience in resolving these problems for me.

Many thanks.

Tom

[...]

Phew! I’m glad we got a successful result in the end. Sorry it took so long.