lost link

michaellee508@...

I have windows 365 and version 7 of family historian.

I was trying to copy my family historian file to one drive by dragging from the folder in my documents and dropping into the documents folder in one drive

 However I seem to move rather than copy and then when trying to open using the shortcut on my desktop all the projects have gone.

I have copied the gedcom back into a family historian folder created by myself in my documents I opened this and then did a full save.

I have all the back ups on my machine should I just do a restore from the shortcut.

I also see that my recent backups as from end July  have gone to my documents. I know that V7 has changed the backup but is this where they should be.

I have used FH for a number of years but have never done anything with the file structure and do not understand it. So please simple instructions.

Thanks

Michael

Mike Tate

Michael, I am sorry you having problems.

If unsure about the FH folder structure it might have been best to stop and ask about the first problem rather than try and fix it which may have made matters worse.

To help us help you please be very specific when describing what you have done. Give precise folder and file names. State precisely what commands you use.

I’m not sure what you mean by the family historian file. Do you mean the Family Historian Projects folder?

Since a project consists of much more than a GEDCOM file, just copying one GEDCOM back won’t fix the problem.

Did that get any projects displayed in the File > Projects Window? I suspect not.

I’m not sure what you mean by a ‘full save’.

Assuming the backups you mention are FH Full Backups then they are not restored from a shortcut.

You must use the File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup command.

You say you know V7 has changed the backup, but I’m not aware of any such changes. What do you think they are?

Where did your FH Backups go before?

The FH file structure is not very complex.

See https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/understanding-projects/ under Project Structure.

However, before doing anything let us take stock of where you are.

Does the Documents folder in OneDrive contain a Family Historian Projects folder?

i.e. the one you copied there in the first place.

When you open FH does the File > Projects Window list any projects?

What are they?

michaellee508@...

Hello Mike

In answer to your queries

I do mean family Historian project folders

Ther are no projects in the File.project window in either one drive or this PC

I do mean full back up when saying full save.

Regarding the backup copies prior to end July they were in my family historian project folder after that date they are in Documents under This PC as stand alone zip file FH Project Backup -Michael & Barbara family  -2021-09-22 1606 zip similarly when I have done a Gedcom Backup.

I have a Family Historian projects folder in One Drive > Documents and one in This PC > documents>family historian. They both are as far as I can see identical and contain my whole family historian project.

My path to FH in One drive is One Drive>documents>family historian Projects>Michael and Barbara family>Michael & Barbaras family.fh_proj

The path from This Pc is Documents>family Historian>family historian Projects>Michael& Barbara Family> Michael & Barbaras family.fh_proj

When opening family Historian there are no projects in the project window.

It appears to me that the only thing missing is the link to the shortcut and then putting in the path to back the project up to one drive.

I hope this makes the situation clearer

Many thanks

Michael

[...]

Thank you for that information which is much clearer.

Please try these two experiments to see if the FH File > Project Window lists your Projects and let me know how you get on.

1) This PC > Documents > Family Historian > Family Historian Projects

In the File > Project Window select More Tasks… > Project List > Choose Location for Projects…

Browse to This PC > Documents > Family Historian > Family Historian Projects and click OK.

Does that list your Projects such as ‘Michael & Barbara family’ and can you open them successfully?

2) One Drive > Documents > Family Historian Projects

In the File > Project Window select More Tasks… > Project List > Choose Location for Projects…

Browse to One Drive > Documents > Family Historian Projects and click OK.

Does that list your Projects such as ‘Michael & Barbara family’ and can you open them successfully?

If all else fails then File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup on ‘FH Project Backup - Michael & Barbara family - 2021-09-22 1606.zip’ may recover that project.

But please tell me before you start that process.

To choose where backups are saved use Tools > Preferences > Backup and Select the Default Backup Folder you prefer.

Sometimes when a new version of FH is installed it may upset some of your customised settings, which then need to be reinstated.

The ‘Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings’ plugin helps avoid such problems. Please ask how to use that if you are unsure.

There are safer ways of copying your projects to OneDrive if you wish to use its storage services to backup your projects.

When the main problem is resolved I explain those methods.

michaellee508@...

I have successfully restored the projects to the project window in both this PC and One drive as per your instructions.

And I have altered the position of the back up to where it was originally.

When you have a moment I would like to know the safest way of copying my projects to One Drive cloud storage

Many thanks

Michael

[...]

Phew! So it looks like you have two copies of the Family Historian Projects folder holding all your projects.

To check they are identical copies, review both File > Project Window lists and check the Last Updated date-time stamps are identical.

There are various strategies for preserving your Projects on OneDrive.

1) Keep your Projects permanently in the One Drive > Documents > Family Historian Projects folder.

Then you don’t have to copy anything. This is what I would recommend.

As soon as FH updates any of your Project files, Media files, etc, they immediately get synchronised with the OneDrive cloud storage.

So there is always a copy on your PC and a copy in the OneDrive cloud.

Further copies can be established on any other PC that synchronises with the same OneDrive account.

If you wish, use the File > Backup/Restore > Full Backup command and save in the This PC > Documents > Family Historian folder as a belt & braces copy.

2) Keep your Projects permanently in the This PC > Documents > Family Historian > Family Historian Projects folder.

a) One option is in File > Project Window, use More Tasks… > Copy Project… and Browse… to the One Drive > Documents > Family Historian Projects folder.

    But you will need to manage each ‘Name of Copy’ as each one must be different.

b) It is easier to use the File > Backup/Restore > Full Backup command and choose the One Drive > Documents > Family Historian Projects folder to hold the backup zip file instead of keeping the backups in your This PC > Documents > Family Historian > Family Historian Projects folder.

    i.e. Change the Tools > Preferences > Backup > Default Backup Folder to be the One Drive > Documents > Family Historian Projects folder.

    There is little benefit in keeping your backups on the same PC drive as your Projects because a PC or disk crash will jeopardise both.

Whichever strategy you adopt, delete any Family Historian Projects folder you no longer need and any others you created in attempting to fix the problem.

Otherwise, sooner or later, you will confuse yourself as to which folder is currently active.

Let me know which strategy you decide to adopt and why.

Mike Tate

Peter Bamford

Presumably the same logic applies to keeping FH in Dropbox?

Peter

michaellee508@...

Just to confirm the date stamps on both copies are the same

Before going further a question.

When I use the shortcut to get into family historian which copy is it using and how do I alter them or remove the other one?

Michael

[...]

David Hodgson-Brown

I use a product called SyncBack from 2brightsparks. I have set up an automatic daily backup from my FH folders to OneDrive. I think there is a free version which should do all you need.

David

[...]

Yes Peter,

See FHUG Knowledge Base advice Synchronising Family Historian between 2 PCs:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/synchronisation-of-fh-configuration-and-data/

That covers Dropbox, Google Drive and OneDrive.

Mike Tate

Michael,

I assume the shortcut is the one created at installation and will simply run FH with whatever settings you choose.

The File > Project Window list of Projects is chosen by the Location setting in that window.

The default Project that is opened needs one of those listed Projects to be selected and shown with a green tick.

i.e. Select your desired Project, probablyMichael & Barbara family’, then use More Tasks… > Set as Default Project.

That project’s GEDCOM file will also be specified in Tools > Preferences > Startup > Default Startup File.

You can delete any individual Project by using More Tasks… > Delete Project…

But that won’t delete the Family Historian Projects folder itself, which must be done using Windows File Explorer.

michaellee508@...

Mike

I have a green Tick by my desired Project in the project Window and it is shown in the Tool>Preferences>Startup>Default Startup file.

I have decided to use the first option you suggested in your previous e-mail ie Keep my projects permanently on One Drive >Documents>familyHistorian projects folder.

It seems much simpler than the other alternative and at my age I am all for simplicity.

Am I correct in saying that all I need to do now is delete the copy that is stored on This PC in Windows File Explorer and the project will then be held on my computer and on the cloud via One Drive.

My thanks for your patience in navigating me through this situation.

Michael

I assume the shortcut is the one created at installation and will simply run FH with whatever settings you choose.

The File > Project Window list of Projects is chosen by the Location setting in that window.

The default Project that is opened needs one of those listed Projects to be selected and shown with a green tick.

i.e. Select your desired Project, probablyMichael & Barbara family’, then use More Tasks… > Set as Default Project.

That project’s GEDCOM file will also be specified in Tools > Preferences > Startup > Default Startup File.

You can delete any individual Project by using More Tasks… > Delete Project…

But that won’t delete the Family Historian Projects folder itself, which must be done using Windows File Explorer.

Mike Tate

Yes, once you are happy that the OneDrive version is working to your satisfaction then you can delete the ‘This PC’ copy.

Just check one setting. Right-click the OneDrive cloud icon in the Navigation bar bottom right and choose Settings.

In the ‘Microsoft OneDrive’ dialogue open the ‘Settings’ tab and ensure that ‘Files On-Demand’ at the bottom is NOT ticked.

Otherwise, if you have no Internet connection you may have no FH Project files on your PC.