Location for a death in WW1

John Hanson

One of my ancestor was killed on HMS Chester at the Battle of Jutland on 31st May 1916

What is the best way to record the place of death?

Army is easy – Navy not so sure of

David Wilkinson

I have the same and I have recorded the place as

HMS Invincible, Battle of Jutland,,, North Sea, Denmark

with a location of 57°14'29.74"N, 6°11'23.29"E  which was approximately the center of the battle area.

Hope that helps

David Wilkinson

On 25/01/2021 17:34, John Hanson wrote:

Adrian Bruce

I think it depends on what reports and charts you want to see. If you're just going to produce basic, tabular reports (as distinct from narratives) then I'd suggest a place name of "Battle of Jutland, North Sea" and an address of "HMS Chester". That would allow you to gather all deaths from that battle because they'll all have the same place name. (Which might not be that useful of course!)

Not sure why David W adds Denmark to the place name unless it was in Danish territorial waters at the time?

If you want to run off a narrative report, the prepositions are all wrong, so maybe keep the values that I suggest but alter that single narrative sentence to replace (or suppress?) the "at" by "on board".

Really, the decision about whether to put the ship into the place name or the address is just a personal preference when you only have one or two.

Graham Kent

John,

I had the same issue, but resolved it when I found the Wikipedia article about the Battle - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Jutland.  That page records the location as
"North Sea, near Denmark", but it also provides an Easting-Northing that can be copied into FH7 (it automatically converts to your display method once entered).

Hope this helps