Internet Matches - no updating in FHv7 once accepted/rejected

ianpmitchell@...

I have several cases where I have new hints in FH for Findmypast, I click on them and a web page opens in Chrome and I accept/reject them. When I go back into FH they are still there but clicking on the hint takes me to a web page that says "You have new hints".

I don't remember seeing this before with V6 but then I was using the FH browser.

I have shutdown FH and it still shows new hints.

Is there feedback from the Chrome hints back to FH?

Sue Herrington

I am still using FH6 but an external browser for hints. I have exactly the same problem as you describe,  although the hints do sometimes clear after shutting down and re-opening. 

Sue

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021, 12:39 ianpmitchell via groups.io, <ianpmitchell=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have several cases where I have new hints in FH for Findmypast, I click on them and a web page opens in Chrome and I accept/reject them. When I go back into FH they are still there but clicking on the hint takes me to a web page that says "You have new hints".

I don't remember seeing this before with V6 but then I was using the FH browser.

I have shutdown FH and it still shows new hints.

Is there feedback from the Chrome hints back to FH?

Paul Reeve

They don't clear automatically if you are using an external browser. Hover the mouse over the circle with the number of hbints and then click on the "refresh" circular arrow to the right. That should clear it (it does for me) - I am also using v6.

Paul

Sue Herrington

Thanks Paul, that had never occurred to me, probably because I’ve only recently switched from viewing hints within the program.

Sue

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 20 January 2021 16:18
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Internet Matches - no updating in FHv7 once accepted/rejected

They don't clear automatically if you are using an external browser. Hover the mouse over the circle with the number of hbints and then click on the "refresh" circular arrow to the right. That should clear it (it does for me) - I am also using v6.

Paul

ianpmitchell@...

I have switched back to using the FH web browser so that the hints update automatically but every now and then get a big banner to say "Internet Explorer is going to stop working, use Edge".

Robert Jordan

Ian
You are not alone. The advice from Calico Pie is to use the External web browser rather than the web search facility, which makes one wonder why they have put in a facility and then recommend it be not used.
A cursory examination of the Microsoft website seems to suggest that they have for some time been advising Devolopers to switch (Microsoft Edge came out 5 years ago) and Internet Explorer will cease to be supported some time this year., I think in August so who knows what will happen then

Robert Jordan

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 at 07:03, ianpmitchell via groups.io <ianpmitchell=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have switched back to using the FH web browser so that the hints update automatically but every now and then get a big banner to say "Internet Explorer is going to stop working, use Edge".

Mike Tate

Robert, you are confusing the user browsers with the API that programs must use, as has been mentioned before.

Yes, Microsoft Edge came out 5 years ago, but only recently radically changed to a Chrome based engine.

For many, many years Microsoft has only provided a browser API based on the Internet Explorer engine.

So that is what Calico Pie and every other developer have to use and is what every version of FH uses.

Microsoft offered the WebView and then WebView2 browser API based on Edge only last year.

So with all the other changes, that was too late for CP to incorporate into the FH v7.0 first release.

Just because a product is not supported does not stop it from working.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Jordan
Sent: 21 January 2021 07:51
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Internet Matches - no updating in FHv7 once accepted/rejected

Ian

You are not alone. The advice from Calico Pie is to use the External web browser rather than the web search facility, which makes one wonder why they have put in a facility and then recommend it be not used.

A cursory examination of the Microsoft website seems to suggest that they have for some time been advising Devolopers to switch (Microsoft Edge came out 5 years ago) and Internet Explorer will cease to be supported some time this year., I think in August so who knows what will happen then

Robert Jordan

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 at 07:03, ianpmitchell via groups.io <ianpmitchell=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Robert Jordan

Mike

When I raised the issue with Calico Pie I was simply told to use the External browser facility. It would have been nice if they had said that they were aware of the problem and would be taking steps in due course to make the necessary changes. Unfortunately they did not so one is left with the impression that they do not intend to do anything about it.

Robert Jordan

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 at 12:38, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Robert, you are confusing the user browsers with the API that programs must use, as has been mentioned before.

Yes, Microsoft Edge came out 5 years ago, but only recently radically changed to a Chrome based engine.

For many, many years Microsoft has only provided a browser API based on the Internet Explorer engine.

So that is what Calico Pie and every other developer have to use and is what every version of FH uses.

Microsoft offered the WebView and then WebView2 browser API based on Edge only last year.

So with all the other changes, that was too late for CP to incorporate into the FH v7.0 first release.

Mike Tate

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Jordan

Ian

Robert Jordan

Mike Tate

Calico Pie very rarely reveal their plans, so you cannot read anything into them saying nothing about what steps they might take.

Occasionally, they have promised to fix a bug I’ve reported in a future release, but they don’t talk about new or revised features.

They say it is to maintain commercial confidentiality.

In other discussions on the subject of MyHeritage and FMP hints having problems with the internal browser Calico Pie have clearly indicated they are aware of the problems which are sometimes with the MyHeritage API or FMP API as well as the IE Shell API. So there is little doubt they are aware.

Mike Tate

Sent: 21 January 2021 17:01

Mike

When I raised the issue with Calico Pie I was simply told to use the External browser facility. It would have been nice if they had said that they were aware of the problem and would be taking steps in due course to make the necessary changes. Unfortunately they did not so one is left with the impression that they do not intend to do anything about it.

Robert Jordan

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 at 12:38, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Mike Tate

Ian

Robert Jordan