Installing FH7 on Windows 11 laptop

Linda Hansen

Hello,

I've installed the FH7 software no problem and can open my projects on my new laptop but my settings aren't there. Which files from the Calico Pie folder do I need to get my settings?

My old laptop shows two Calico Pie folders, one under Program Files (x86), the other under ProgramData. The files located under ProgramData seem to have more recent ones amongst them.

Many thanks for any advice.

Best regards,
Linda Hansen

Neil Grantham

Hi Linda

Best advice is to install the Backup and Restore plugin by Mike Tate, found here Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings – Plugin Store (family-historian.co.uk) on both laptops. Backup your settings on one, and Restore them on another.

Once installed, open FH and go to Tools>Plugins.... and Run 'Backup and Restore Family Historian settings'

You will need to save the settings to somewhere like a USB drive or a cloud service like OneDrive/Dropbox that can be accessed from both devices.

Best Wishes

Neil.

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------

Linda Hansen

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the advice. I downloaded the plugin on both computers. Had to upgrade to V7.0.9 on the older laptop. Ran the backup, transferred the resulting Family Historian file to a USB stick, plugged it into my new laptop & placed it in the Family Historian Projects folder. Ran the restore, but got an error message - Backup Folder has no Family Historian Version 7.0.9.0 backup data saved. I'm not sure where I have gone wrong. I'm wondering if I have the backup folder in the right place - as a separate folder under Family Historian Projects.

Any advice welcome - thank you.

Best regards,
Linda

On Wed, 8 Dec 2021 at 16:26, Neil Grantham via groups.io <neil40=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I suspect you have chosen the Family Historian folder in the Plugin as the Backup folder.

On the old PC that folder was NOT the Backup folder but you chose perhaps your default Backup folder.

Do the same on the new PC and choose the parent folder that contains the Family Historian folder.

i.e. In your case that is probably the Family Historian Projects folder.

Mike Tate

I've installed the FH7 software no problem and can open my projects on my new laptop but my settings aren't there. Which files from the Calico Pie folder do I need to get my settings?

My old laptop shows two Calico Pie folders, one under Program Files (x86), the other under ProgramData. The files located under ProgramData seem to have more recent ones amongst them.

Many thanks for any advice.

Best regards,

Linda Hansen

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------
Using FH 7 & AS 7

Linda Hansen

Hi Neil,

I got the plugin to run on the new laptop but my Individual Records window (the alphabetical listing of names) does not show the configuration I use on my old laptop. Maybe this is something I just have to change manually?

Linda

On Wed, 8 Dec 2021 at 18:10, Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

[...]

As far as I know, that window remembers the last thing you did with it.

EG, I just sorted on the column 'Updated' to have the latest records I updated at the top, then closed FH, re-opened it and it is the same, so you can click on any column header to sort on that column. Click it with the right button to get options on the sort (Ascending/Descending and 'Configure Columns')

[...]

I seem to be sorted now - thanks for the help. Things are working as they ought.

One last question which I haven't been able to easily answer - my screen is small and I prefer to have the Source Citation box to the side, rather than under the Property Box. I can't seem to find how to shift it.

Linda

On Thu, 9 Dec 2021 at 12:03, Neil Grantham via groups.io <neil40=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

All good now - I found how to move source citation box, it is now where I want it.

Thanks for your help and patience Mike, it is much appreciated. I go away a happy camper.

Best wishes,
Linda

On Thu, 9 Dec 2021 at 12:17, Linda Hansen via groups.io <lindamhansen=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

The Records Window and many other settings are saved in the Windows Registry

Did you tick the plugin Options tab setting to Allow Restore Registry Data.

Then in the RESTORE it will offer to restore the Registry Data Keys, which is greyed out otherwise.

That is all explained in the Help & Advice pages.

To move the Source Citation List pane see Tools > Preferences > Property Box and adjust the Preferred Position for Citation List Pane. It is best set to Open in New Window, then you can adjust its size alongside the top of the Property Box and arrange the floating Citation Window below such that the arrangement is similar to FH v6.2.

You will have to reduce the size of the main FH window to provide space to its right.

See the FHUG Forum posting Change default opening Tab for Citation floating window:

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=19000#p113270

Mike Tate

Neil Grantham

Linda

Glad you sorted moving the source citation box, I presume you used the 'Float Property Box' button?

[...]

I went to Tools --> Preferences --> Property Box, then down to Preferred Position for Citation List Pane, and selected Right of Property Box for both.

I find the most difficult thing is knowing the correct name for all the boxes, windows etc.

Linda