"In Will" Fact

Chris Wake

Hi,

    I have several old wills from the 16th/17th century which have proved useful in discovering children and daughter’s married names. They also show if a spouse / child is still alive having previously only been identified by a baptism in a Parish Register many years ago. I am thinking of creating an “In Will” fact recording the testator and date of will for each person in each will to show they are alive at the date the will was written. Have other FH users used a different method to record this information bearing in mind that not all names mentioned in Wills at that time are Executors or beneficiaries.

Thanks

Chris

Lorna Craig

An alternative is to create a more general 'Alive at' fact.  This can be used when you have any kind of evidence that someone was still alive at a certain date, for example if they were a witness at a marriage, or if they were the informant who registered another person's death, or were mentioned in a newspaper article.   You can cite the will/ marriage certificate/ death certificate/ newspaper article as the source, and add any further explanation in the note field for the fact.

Sometimes I simply record that a person died "after" a certain date at which I know they were alive.

Lorna

On 21/07/2021 22:10, Chris Wake wrote:

Hi,

    I have several old wills from the 16th/17th century which have proved useful in discovering children and daughter’s married names. They also show if a spouse / child is still alive having previously only been identified by a baptism in a Parish Register many years ago. I am thinking of creating an “In Will” fact recording the testator and date of will for each person in each will to show they are alive at the date the will was written. Have other FH users used a different method to record this information bearing in mind that not all names mentioned in Wills at that time are Executors or beneficiaries.

Thanks

Chris

_.

AlexH

Hi Chris,

I use Wills a lot. The way I handle them is to use the standard Will and Probate facts on the record for the testator. All the individuals named in the Will are recorded as Witnesses in the Will fact. Sometimes it is necessary to add an additional category of Witness to meet the circumstances, e.g. Named Person is a good catch all. If you then look at the record for the individuals named you will see that the information flows through from the Testator's record.

With a lot of trial and error I also managed to write a source template which has fields for name, place, date written, date proved, archive, archive reference etc. In the source text I record an abstract of the Will. The source and abstract also flow through to the individual records. I create one source per Will.

This method works for me but I'm sure there are many other good methods of dealing with Wills.

Hope this helps.

Sue

Mike Tate

In the 'Family Historian Sample Project' there is an example of using Will, Death & Probate events for Ian Scot MUNRO.
Both the Will and Probate events have a Fact Witness for the Role of Executor and Beneficiary respectively.
Those Witness Roles appear in each individual's Property Box and Reports.
Other Roles can be defined as necessary.
See https://www.family-historian.co.uk/help/fh7/propertyboxfactstab.html under The Toolbar for Opens the Witnesses Window
and https://www.family-historian.co.uk/help/fh7/witnesseswindow.html for Fact Witness details.

Mike Tate