Importing a created tree into another created tree

ishjohns@...

Hi

I started out with FH6 and have always kept up to date with the updates I am currently on Version 7.0.5

I have 4 family trees that I work on and would like to know if it's possible to add in to my Grandmother's family tree that I created separately. I would just like to click on her name and import her family tree and all her family appear lol.

Is it possible to do that and if so may I ask how please?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sarah

Mike Tate

Hi Sarah,

It is not clear to me what you want to achieve.

You refer to 4 family trees and I suspect you are talking about 4 FH Projects that you open via the File > Project Window…

Is the file root person of each of those 4 Projects your 4 grandparents?

However, I’m not sure what you want to add in to your grandmother’s Project.

Where is that family tree created separately?

Sorry, but I don’t understand what you are trying to import after clicking her name.

Maybe I have completely misunderstood and you are talking about 4 family tree Diagrams you have saved as FH Charts.

Please can you explain what you want to achieve another way.

Mike

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of ishjohns via groups.io
Sent: 15 May 2021 12:50
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Importing a created tree into another created tree

Hi

I started out with FH6 and have always kept up to date with the updates I am currently on Version 7.0.5

I have 4 family trees that I work on and would like to know if it's possible to add in to my Grandmother's family tree that I created separately. I would just like to click on her name and import her family tree and all her family appear lol.

Is it possible to do that and if so may I ask how please?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sarah

ishjohns@...

I have 4 Projects I call family trees 2 are my Grandparents.

1 of the projects is my GF and my Grandmother's father's family line appears in the same tree but not her mother's family line.
1 of the projects is my GM family line which is the surname JONES from Wales.

Is it possible to add my GM project into my GF project  perhaps i.e. by creating my GM project into a gedcom and importing it into my GM line by just clicking her name and adding - like you would add a second spouse?

Hope this clears up my explanation.

Sarah

Mike Tate

If I have understood correctly, you want to integrate your two Projects into one Project.

Then all the people in your GM Project would be included in your GF Project (and you could delete your GM Project).

Presumably, some people currently appear as ancestors of your Grandmother in both Projects, i.e. her father’s family line.

Are the facts and other details recorded against those ancestors identical in both Projects?

You cannot just click on your Grandmother and include a GEDCOM like that.

However, the File > Merge/Compare File… command does integrate a GEDCOM file into a Project.

It does so by comparing records in the Project with records in the GEDCOM to find matches.

Bear in mind that it does not just cope with Individual records but also Family, Note, Source, Media, Place, etc, records.

The FHUG Knowledge Base has advice on using the Merge/Compare File command:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/merge-compare-file/

When you have studied that advice and have answers to my questions above I’m sure you will reply with your own questions.

Mike

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of ishjohns via groups.io
Sent: 15 May 2021 14:50
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Importing a created tree into another created tree

I have 4 Projects I call family trees 2 are my Grandparents.

1 of the projects is my GF and my Grandmother's father's family line appears in the same tree but not her mother's family line.
1 of the projects is my GM family line which is the surname JONES from Wales.

Is it possible to add my GM project into my GF project  perhaps i.e. by creating my GM project into a gedcom and importing it into my GM line by just clicking her name and adding - like you would add a second spouse?

Hope this clears up my explanation.

Sarah

ishjohns@...

Hi Mike

Thank you.

regards

Sarah