Identify all uk members of my project at time of census

James Pam

How do I create a list of all individuals in my project with a UK address who were alive at the time of the 1939 Register/Census? I could then work through the list to ensure that their census information has been recorded.

Mike Tate

James,

It is easy to produce a list of everyone alive on 29 Sep 1939.

Use the standard Query ‘Estimated Alive At’ and select that Date.

Testing for those with a UK address gets trickier.

Which of all the facts recorded against a person are you going to use to decide definitely shows they were in the UK in 1939?

That gets very complicated to achieve using a Query.

Try the ‘Lookup Missing Census Events’ plugin which reviews all the Census dates including the 1939 UK Register.

It tries to assess all the facts to determine who lived where.

If you sort the search results into date order that will show who is missing from each Census in date order.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of James Pam
Sent: 23 December 2021 18:32
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] Identify all uk members of my project at time of census

How do I create a list of all individuals in my project with a UK address who were alive at the time of the 1939 Register/Census? I could then work through the list to ensure that their census information has been recorded.

Jan Murphy

Mike,

The "Lookup Missing Census Events" plugin has been quite helpful, but there are many datasets for which one might need to run "Estimated Alive At" which are not yet covered by a Plugin. 

Could you remind me again, if one has used the 'Estimated Alive At' query, how could we add all the people in the results to a Named List? From there is is easy (although tedious) to delete from the list any persons not likely to be covered by the dataset (not in the right country, not subject to being drafted, etc.)  

Jan

Jan Murphy
Moderator Pro Tempore

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 12:16 PM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

James,

It is easy to produce a list of everyone alive on 29 Sep 1939.

Use the standard Query ‘Estimated Alive At’ and select that Date.

Testing for those with a UK address gets trickier.

Which of all the facts recorded against a person are you going to use to decide definitely shows they were in the UK in 1939?

That gets very complicated to achieve using a Query.

Try the ‘Lookup Missing Census Events’ plugin which reviews all the Census dates including the 1939 UK Register.

It tries to assess all the facts to determine who lived where.

If you sort the search results into date order that will show who is missing from each Census in date order.

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of James Pam
Sent: 23 December 2021 18:32
Subject: [family-historian] Identify all uk members of my project at time of census

Mike Tate

To move a Result Set to a Named List use the cog menu Add Row Records to Named List…

I hope you can see how difficult it is to automate removing non-residents.

Regarding the plugin, are you talking about datasets that are unrelated to Census events?

If you are talking about Census related datasets, which ones are not yet covered?

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jan Murphy
Sent: 23 December 2021 20:50
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Identify all uk members of my project at time of census

Mike,

The "Lookup Missing Census Events" plugin has been quite helpful, but there are many datasets for which one might need to run "Estimated Alive At" which are not yet covered by a Plugin. 

Could you remind me again, if one has used the 'Estimated Alive At' query, how could we add all the people in the results to a Named List? From there is is easy (although tedious) to delete from the list any persons not likely to be covered by the dataset (not in the right country, not subject to being drafted, etc.)  

Jan

Jan Murphy

Mike --

I am about to start a fresh FH database while I search for people in the 1921 census and the 1950 US Federal Census.  I have been having computer issues lately so it has been a while since I used FH6 and the Census plugin.  The US has some cases where individual states did their own census, many of which are on years ending in 5.  I don't know if it's worthwhile to have those as part of the Census plugin since the records only apply to a subset of the database (unless one is doing a One Place Study for an individual state).  

I agree that it is non-trivial to automate the removal of non-residents.  My husband's family crossed the Atlantic many times, so I need to look for them on both sides of the ocean anyway.  When I make timelines by hand, I sometimes add a line for the appropriate census day, then note they were not present in either England or the US because they were in the US or England on that census day. 

For the non-census cases, I was thinking of recordsets like the US Draft Registration cards for WW1 and WW2 which are associated with specific dates. 

Jan Murphy

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 1:34 PM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

To move a Result Set to a Named List use the cog menu Add Row Records to Named List…

I hope you can see how difficult it is to automate removing non-residents.

Regarding the plugin, are you talking about datasets that are unrelated to Census events?

If you are talking about Census related datasets, which ones are not yet covered?

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jan Murphy
Sent: 23 December 2021 20:50
Subject: Re: [family-historian] Identify all uk members of my project at time of census

Mike,

Jan

James Pam

Many thanks Mike. Plenty of work to do over Christmas then.
Best wishes everyone and many thanks for all your invaluable help during 2021
--

James 

Paul Reeve

An alternative would be to use Family Tree Analyzer to list all who are not in the 1939 register. You can set it to ignore those with an unknown death date, but I find that easier to filter out afterwards. The results can be saved as a csv file

Paul

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Mike Tate

Thank you for that feedback Jan.

I will incorporate those USA State Census records when I update the plugin to incorporate the UK 1921 Census.

The plugin tries to determine if people are likely to be in the locale of the Census at the time and excludes any others.

e.g. It uses Birth, Marriage, Emigration, Immigration & Death events to determine Place details.

There is also an option to exclude those ‘partial’ State Census records from the search entirely.

Some of the State Census records do not have a precise enumeration date but the plugin copes with that.

I looked at the WWI USA Draft Registration Cards on FindMyPast but could not find a specific date, only 1917 to 1918.

FindMyPast only has a few State Draft Registration Cards for WW2 and again either no specific date or several specific registration dates.

So I don’t think it is feasible to include them in this plugin.

Mike Tate

Sent: 24 December 2021 05:39

Mike --

I am about to start a fresh FH database while I search for people in the 1921 census and the 1950 US Federal Census.  I have been having computer issues lately so it has been a while since I used FH6 and the Census plugin.  The US has some cases where individual states did their own census, many of which are on years ending in 5.  I don't know if it's worthwhile to have those as part of the Census plugin since the records only apply to a subset of the database (unless one is doing a One Place Study for an individual state).  

I agree that it is non-trivial to automate the removal of non-residents.  My husband's family crossed the Atlantic many times, so I need to look for them on both sides of the ocean anyway.  When I make timelines by hand, I sometimes add a line for the appropriate census day, then note they were not present in either England or the US because they were in the US or England on that census day. 

For the non-census cases, I was thinking of recordsets like the US Draft Registration cards for WW1 and WW2 which are associated with specific dates. 

Jan Murphy

Jan Murphy

Mike,

We're getting a bit far afield from the census, here, so I'll leave information about the draft records in the forum. 

Jan Murphy
Moderator Pro Tempore

On Fri, Dec 24, 2021 at 3:38 AM Mike Tate <post@...> wrote:

Thank you for that feedback Jan.

I will incorporate those USA State Census records when I update the plugin to incorporate the UK 1921 Census.

The plugin tries to determine if people are likely to be in the locale of the Census at the time and excludes any others.

e.g. It uses Birth, Marriage, Emigration, Immigration & Death events to determine Place details.

There is also an option to exclude those ‘partial’ State Census records from the search entirely.

Some of the State Census records do not have a precise enumeration date but the plugin copes with that.

I looked at the WWI USA Draft Registration Cards on FindMyPast but could not find a specific date, only 1917 to 1918.

FindMyPast only has a few State Draft Registration Cards for WW2 and again either no specific date or several specific registration dates.

So I don’t think it is feasible to include them in this plugin.

Mike Tate

Sent: 24 December 2021 05:39

Mike --

Jan Murphy

BillH

On Fri, Dec 24, 2021 at 03:38 AM, Mike Tate wrote:

Mike,

I was just wondering which state censuses you would be adding.  Here is a listing of all of them that were done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_censuses_in_the_United_States

Bill

Mike Tate

Bill,

Thank you for that comprehensive list.

My prime objective was to include those that have searchable datasets online in Ancestry, FindMyPast, etc.

I’m not sure there is much benefit in including any others.

Merry Christmas, Mike

From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of BillH
Sent: 25 December 2021 00:50

On Fri, Dec 24, 2021 at 03:38 AM, Mike Tate wrote:

Mike,

I was just wondering which state censuses you would be adding.  Here is a listing of all of them that were done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_censuses_in_the_United_States

Bill

BillH

Mike,

That sounds like a lot of work, but would be very helpful.  I know that all of the ones that I created AS templates for are searchable on either Ancestry or FamilySearch or both.  I have not run into any need to look for any of the other states yet.

Wishing you and your family a very happy holiday season.
Bill