Hyperlinks for source citations

Debbie Kennett

How do I make hyperlinks in source citations? I can see that I can create URLs in the text from source field or in the note field but can’t seem to find any way to include the clickable link in the actual source citation. I like to keep citations simple so I just want to say, for example “FreeBMD: http://freebmd.rootsweb.com”.

Debbie Kennett

Edward Sneithe

Debbie you may get resolution to the clickable link but if you are using the link only for your source I would suggest that you re-examine your methodology. Internet source have a history of disappearing rendering your link and your source invalid?

Just a thought

On Tuesday, November 1, 2022 at 12:07:44 PM EDT, Debbie Kennett <debbiekennett@...> wrote:

How do I make hyperlinks in source citations? I can see that I can create URLs in the text from source field or in the note field but can’t seem to find any way to include the clickable link in the actual source citation. I like to keep citations simple so I just want to say, for example “FreeBMD: http://freebmd.rootsweb.com”.

Debbie Kennett

Debbie Kennett

Edward

None of the links I’ve included in sources appear as hyperlinks. I list the name of the website along with the URL. Long-established websites like FreeBMD are not likely to disappear. Smaller sites do tend to be ephemeral but I’ve found that my practice of noting the URL has improved invaluable on many occasions. If the website has disappeared I’ve usually been able to retrieve the relevant page from the Wayback Machine. I then change the URL to point to the Wayback Machine.

Debbie

Debbie you may get resolution to the clickable link but if you are using the link only for your source I would suggest that you re-examine your methodology. Internet source have a history of disappearing rendering your link and your source invalid?

Just a thought

On Tuesday, November 1, 2022 at 12:07:44 PM EDT, Debbie Kennett <debbiekennett@...> wrote:

How do I make hyperlinks in source citations? I can see that I can create URLs in the text from source field or in the note field but can’t seem to find any way to include the clickable link in the actual source citation. I like to keep citations simple so I just want to say, for example “FreeBMD: http://freebmd.rootsweb.com”.

Debbie Kennett

Paul Tanner-Tremaine

Debbie
In the Source or Citation Text from Source or Notes sections, if you click the three little vertical dots on the grey bar to the right, you will get into the text editor. On that displayed bar with the scissors, bold, etc icons, the 4th icon in from the right is Add a Link and in its dropdown you can add a Web Link.  First entry is the actual url and the display text is what you want to show up in the note, clickable.
Try that.

Edward Sneithe

Debbie,

I'm glad your experience had been so good. My experience has not been all that good. It was just an observation.

On Tuesday, November 1, 2022 at 01:34:06 PM EDT, Paul Tanner-Tremaine <paul@...> wrote:

Debbie
In the Source or Citation Text from Source or Notes sections, if you click the three little vertical dots on the grey bar to the right, you will get into the text editor. On that displayed bar with the scissors, bold, etc icons, the 4th icon in from the right is Add a Link and in its dropdown you can add a Web Link.  First entry is the actual url and the display text is what you want to show up in the note, clickable.
Try that.

Debbie Kennett

Edward

At the Wayback Machine you can ask for specific web pages to be preserved. I’ve found that web pages are often very transient so I now make a practice of preserving any pages of interest on the Wayback Machine as well as copying all the relevant information into Family Historian. Personal websites and blogs are particularly prone to disappearing and the Wayback Machine has come to the rescue many times.

Debbie

I'm glad your experience had been so good. My experience has not been all that good. It was just an observation.

On Tuesday, November 1, 2022 at 01:34:06 PM EDT, Paul Tanner-Tremaine <paul@...> wrote:

Debbie
In the Source or Citation Text from Source or Notes sections, if you click the three little vertical dots on the grey bar to the right, you will get into the text editor. On that displayed bar with the scissors, bold, etc icons, the 4th icon in from the right is Add a Link and in its dropdown you can add a Web Link.  First entry is the actual url and the display text is what you want to show up in the note, clickable.
Try that.

@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

MichaelM

The Wayback Machine has a really useful plugin available for most browsers that allows you in a couple of clicks to archive whatever web page you happen to be looking at, without any need to leave the page.

It also has an optional setting to auto-archive every page you visit, without user interaction. I switch that on whenever I’m doing genealogy searches.

Michael

[...]

Phil Stokes

The GoFullPage browser extension is another useful plugin that allows you to capture any web page in full as a PNG or PDF file.

The Wayback Machine has a really useful plugin available for most browsers that allows you in a couple of clicks to archive whatever web page you happen to be looking at, without any need to leave the page.

It also has an optional setting to auto-archive every page you visit, without user interaction. I switch that on whenever I’m doing genealogy searches.

Michael

Vyger

I’m preparing a video on media and spotted this thread, if you want to get notifications of when the video is released then subscribe and hit the bell.

Nothing on the internet is safe, I have tried to find old posts I made to the Rootsmagic Wish list without success, so capture everything to your computer, it’s really easy as you will see in the very short video below.

https://youtu.be/JnD3K3fHm2M

By the way, I don’t subscribe to the “just any old name”, media files should be named carefully and meaningfully so you can manage them in the future.

Jackson