how to reinstall family historian after a computer crash

Simon Pugh

My windows 10 PC crashed recently and couldn't recover and I elected to reinstall windows rather that doing  disk image restore from backup as I don't completely trust the restore process.
I have all my data but need to reinstall FH and I can't find the installer in downloads.

I had FH6 followed by a free upgrade to FH7. I have both the license keys.

I cant see how to download the installers with out paying for them except by downloading the 30 day free trial version.

Should I install the trial version and use the V7 upgrade key.

I couldn't see a way of emailing FH support about this.

colevalleygirl@colevalleygirl.co.uk

You'll find https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-copy-and-migration-guide/ helpfil especially the advice to download from https://www.family-historian.co.uk/install7.

David Burgess

Hi

I had a problem with Windows recently and had to reinstall from scratch.  I started with FH4 and bought the upgrades as they came out.  I re-installed FH4 and then all the upgrades in turn.  Fortunately I have all the licence keys.  It was easier than installing some of my other software.

I am glad I keep everything backed up on an external hard drive, including email.

Regards

David Burgess

--
David Burgess

Mike Tate

Visit the FH Downloads > Archive at:

https://www.family-historian.co.uk/downloads/download-archive

There you will find a link to the Install Version 7 page:

https://www.family-historian.co.uk/install7

That page is also provided in the FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Family Historian Activation’ page:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-activation/

The way to contact FH support is via their Support Ticket system that is mentioned at:

https://www.family-historian.co.uk/support/support-overview

As well as Backups to your Projects did you also backup all your customisation settings for Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Plugins, Fact Sets, etc, etc?

e.g. Use the ‘Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings’ plugin.

Mike Tate

If your latest FH version is V5 or V6 or V7 you don’t need to install the earlier versions at all, so throw those old ones away.

All you need is the installation file plus the latest and previous licence keys or with V7 just the current activation code.

Simon Pugh

Thank you, Mike, that worked great. I didn't guess that I had to download from archives. I thought that would just be for old versions.
SImon

There you will find a link to the Install Version 7 page:

https://www.family-historian.co.uk/install7

That page is also provided in the FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Family Historian Activation’ page:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-activation/

The way to contact FH support is via their Support Ticket system that is mentioned at:

https://www.family-historian.co.uk/support/support-overview

As well as Backups to your Projects did you also backup all your customisation settings for Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Plugins, Fact Sets, etc, etc?

e.g. Use the ‘Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings’ plugin.

David Burgess

Mike

Thank you for the tip about not needing earlier installation codes.

No I didn't do separate back-ups of customisation settings, but I found that all my recovered FH files worked as before.  However, I haven't used plug-ins nor Queries.

When I reinstall my files after loss of Windows or transferring to a new Computer I don't use the back-up files I have created.  Instead, I transfer my Family Historian Projects Folder from my back up hard drive, which includes all my media files within the project folders.  That method has always worked and I have stuck with it.

I haven't noticed that I am missing anything.  I use semi-circular diagrams, and they are preserved.

I must go to the links you recommend to see what I am missing.

Regards

David Burgess

On 11/04/2021 14:27, Mike Tate wrote:

Visit the FH Downloads > Archive at:

https://www.family-historian.co.uk/downloads/download-archive

There you will find a link to the Install Version 7 page:

https://www.family-historian.co.uk/install7

That page is also provided in the FHUG Knowledge Base ‘Family Historian Activation’ page:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/family-historian-activation/

The way to contact FH support is via their Support Ticket system that is mentioned at:

https://www.family-historian.co.uk/support/support-overview

As well as Backups to your Projects did you also backup all your customisation settings for Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Plugins, Fact Sets, etc, etc?

e.g. Use the ‘Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings’ plugin.

--
David Burgess

Mike Tate

Yes, copying a backup of the Family Historian Projects folder is a valid alternative.

It is actually better when you have multiple Projects because they are all restored with one command.

If you have not customised anything then you won’t be missing anything.