How to record an adoption

Neil Grantham

Hi all

Something new to me (recording an adoption), and I'd like advise/suggestions on how to record it in FH.

My grandfathers younger sister married and had 2 daughters, the second 3 months after her husband passed away.

There is a record of a third daughter, born 3 years later, bearing her married name, and her maiden name on the GRO record.

Family have stated who the father was - a married man with a family of his own.

My great aunt then emigrated with her daughters to Canada, but did not take the third daughter, who was adopted by her neighbours (surname known).

I have yet to find this families names, and have a rough idea of where they live, so it is an ongoing investigation.

My query is how to properly record in FH so that reports might show her adoption. Happy to use Mr and Mrs 'X' for now if necessary for adoptive parents.

I have recorded the birth with the birth parents at the moment, using the status 'Never Married'

Best Wishes

Neil.

--
Neil Grantham
-------------------

David Dewick

Hello Neil

Open the property screen for the 3rd daughter’s adoptive parents. You should see underneath the parents’ information the list of their children. To the immediate right of the date of birth of the children is a column headed Rel. An “a” in this column indicates an adopted child. If you have the child also recorded against her birth parents, you can use the Rel. field to record that they are her biological parents.

Alternatively, open the 3rd daughter’s property window and click on the All tab at the top.  Right click on the field “Parents family” and you will have an option to Add relationship In this way you can add her to both her birth and adoptive parents.

There is also and adoption event if you have details of a formal adoption.

Hope that helps

David

[...]

Lorna Craig

You can add a second set of parents for the child, using surname 'X' as you suggest, until you discover their names.  The relationship can be set to 'adopted' and you can use the standard Adoption event to record any known details and sources. Both sets of parents should be listed in reports, and when you produce a diagram you can choose which set of parents to display.  For more details see this page in the FHUG Knowledge Base: https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/recording-children-with-foster-adoptive-parents/

Lorna

On 02/04/2021 22:23, Neil Grantham via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Thank you Lorna and David,

I have now added the adoptive parents and added the relationship.

Best Wishes

Neil.