From: family-historian@groups.io <family-historian@groups.io> On Behalf Of Alsatia
Sent: 15 April 2022 17:42
To: family-historian@groups.io
Subject: [family-historian] How to merge part of a tree

Hi

In researching my own and my wife's family trees I have discovered we have a common ancestor. There are a large number of members of the family previous to that ancestor. I would like to add those from one tree into the other without having to enter all the details again. I look forward to anyone's suggestions.

Many thanks
Clive Barker

Alsatia

Hello Mike

Thanks for your advice.  You are correct in thinking I have one project for myself and one for my wife.  Ideally I would like to keep both projects separate but as you say  in this case any further common ancestors that are discovered  would need to be duplicated.  This could lead to errors.  On the other hand a common ancestor may mean there are other links to be found which would otherwise not be apparent that a merged project would facilitate.

I think that i would like to merge the two projects as a 3rd project and keep the original projects intact but unchanged.  If at some time in the future there are no more common ancestors to be discovered then the common information can be added separately to the two projects.  This would be best so only the relevant parts of the family history can be disseminated to my own family and to my wife's family.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to explain the relevant procedures to put this into effect.

Clive Barker

On 15/04/2022 20:30, Mike Tate wrote:
Hi Clive,

Reading between the lines, I guess you have two separate Projects; one for yourself, and one for your wife.

The recurring advice that is often given is that one combined Project is usually far superior.
It avoids the problem you are now facing for all common relatives.
It also often means such relatives are more easily and quickly discovered.
That includes not only common ancestors, as in this case, but also common descendants such as your children and grandchildren.
Having one Project avoids needing to update such common relatives in two Projects.

So the solution to your question depends on whether you wish to continue with two Projects and their parallel updating or to merge them into one composite Project that will be simpler to manage.

In researching my own and my wife's family trees I have discovered we have a common ancestor.  There are a large number of  members of the family previous to that ancestor.  I would like to add those from one tree into the other without having to enter all the details again.  I look forward to anyone's suggestions.

Many thanks
Clive Barker

Victor Markham

Clive

When the two projects are combined and you do a narrative report from the husbands ancestors and another from the wife's the report will give different details as if they were from separate trees

If you go to a person on your tree and open the 'view' menu at the top then prompt 'query' and from the menu prompt relationship. This will list all those related to the particular person you have highlighted on FH. Let's say the husband. This will list all the relationships he has. Do the same for the wife it will list different relationship names. Both are open like a spreadsheet which can be saved

There really is no need to have 2 separate projects

I also have FTM which gives more details of the names and the links. Something like '4th cousin of wife of 2nd cousin once removed of victor' FH just says 'no direct relationship'

Victor

On 15/04/2022 22:22, Alsatia wrote:
[...]

Mike Tate

Clive,

As Victor says, even with one combined comprehensive master Project, it is easy to produce Diagrams and Reports for specific branches.

If it is not possible from the combined Project, it can be copied to a temporary Project, and the unwanted branches deleted using File > Split Tree Helper.

Then any Diagrams and Reports can be produced for the remaining branches, and finally the temporary Project is deleted.

That way you only ever need to update one master Project and when you create temporary copies you know they are accurate.

To keep you two current Projects for the time being and create a separate combined master Project follow this procedure.

In your Project, use File > Project Window… and then More Tasks > Copy Project giving it the desired master Project name.

Open that new master Project, use File > Merge/Compare File… and select the GEDCOM file in your Wife’s Project.

The details of the Merge process will depend somewhat on which Individuals, Families, Sources, Places, etc, are common to both Projects.

e.g.

Do you and your wife exist as Individuals in both Projects?

Do your children & grandchildren exist as Individuals in both Projects?

Do you have any Source records or Place records that are similar/identical in both Projects?

See the FHUG Knowledge Base advice on Merge/Compare File and digest the details and advice:

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/merge-compare-file/

Since it is only your immediate family and the one common ancestor that are likely to exist in both Projects, the Merge should be straightforward.

However, it needs some care and attention to detail, and every type of record tab must be reviewed.

If anything is unclear then please ask before performing/completing the Merge.

However, if the Merge goes awry you can delete the master Project and start again with a new copy of your original Project.

Mike Tate

[...]

._,_._,_

Alsatia

Hi Victor

I've had a look at your suggestion and that seems to work well.  Another reason for me to use a combined project.

Thanks
Clive

On 16/04/2022 00:14, Victor Markham via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Thanks Mike

In answer to your questions
1    Yes my wife and I exist as individuals in both projects
2    Yes our children etc exist as individuals in both projects
3    Most of the entries in one project came from the Reunion program used by my father many years ago.  As such there are some odd or no sources / places identified in much of that project following the transfer (checking sources will take some time to do!).  The other project is pretty well recorded in the usual formats.  Do you think this may cause a problem?

Regards
Clive

On 16/04/2022 11:18, Mike Tate wrote:

[...]

Since your immediate family members exist in both Projects, when you perform the Merge, they should automatically synchronize.

Focus your attention on Merging all their facts, etc, so that the combined Project includes a superset of all their details.

You may need a few trial attempts to become familiar with the matching techniques and cancel the Merge, before finally committing to a Merge.

I presume those records all use consistent Place and Address naming formats in both the original Projects.

If not, then it may be beneficial to adjust them in one Project to match the other Project before Merging.

One other Individual record that should synchronize is your shared common ancestor. So check their details are all included.

( Don’t worry if that Individual does not auto-synchronize. The records can be Merged separately in the composite Project later. )

There appears to be no consistent Source or Place naming across the two Projects.

It sounds like your own Project has very few Sources and Places at all.

That should not cause any significant problems with the Merge.

However, it may need a lot of work afterwards to achieve consistent data across the composite Project.

Mike