How to denote DNA matches

Brian Horridge

Hi all

Can I ask how others record in FH if they have a DNA match with someone else??

I see that there is a standard (but normally hidden) DNA Marker attribute but at the moment I'm looking for "best practice" methods other people use.  My first idea was to create my own custom "DNA Match" attribute or flag but I thought I'd ask others.

At this stage I'm looking for ways to simply show a connection rather than the technical detail of that DNA connection as there are several types of DNA connections.

Many thanks in advance

Brian

Vyger

Well it's a new and evolving challenge and I am certainly no expert but I will offer my current working.

In my previous software I created two Custom Facts (attribute) one for my wife, one for myself, these are now record flags in FH.

I keep these in Named Lists and build out the trees on Diagram view often looking for close geographic Address type data in the absence of documentary evidence.

Its very simplistic and I'm sure there are much better methods but Dates and Places are King here in the absence of a Surname match.

Jackson

On Mon, 20 Jun 2022, 20:19 Brian Horridge via groups.io, <brian.horridge=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all

Can I ask how others record in FH if they have a DNA match with someone else??

I see that there is a standard (but normally hidden) DNA Marker attribute but at the moment I'm looking for "best practice" methods other people use.  My first idea was to create my own custom "DNA Match" attribute or flag but I thought I'd ask others.

At this stage I'm looking for ways to simply show a connection rather than the technical detail of that DNA connection as there are several types of DNA connections.

Many thanks in advance

Brian

Phil Stokes

I use Jane Taubman's custom GedMatch fact and query. If you read the article "Recording DNA Matches" in the Knowledge Base at the Family Historian User Group website, you will find a link to an article written by Jane on her own website explaining how it works.

There has been a thread about it in the FHUG forum also, which if my memory is correct, is also linked to in Jane's website article.

Phil
Can I ask how others record in FH if they have a DNA match with someone else??

I see that there is a standard (but normally hidden) DNA Marker attribute but at the moment I'm looking for "best practice" methods other people use. My first idea was to create my own custom "DNA Match" attribute or flag but I thought I'd ask others.

At this stage I'm looking for ways to simply show a connection rather than the technical detail of that DNA connection as there are several types of DNA connections.

Many thanks in advance

Brian

Trevor Rix

I have customised my Property Box to include tick boxes for AncestryDNA | My Heritage | FTDNA FF | Living DNA | FTDNA Y-DNA | GEDmatch. I probably need to add two more for 23andMe and Geneanet. Those ticks indicate that person in my project has either tested with or uploaded to that company.

I use a flag DNA that displays a DNA icon in diagrams indicating that the person has DNA tested.

I also use a flag DNA Proven Relative that is set, in diagrams, to switch on an orange border for people in my project that are proven by DNA testing including those in the line back to the common ancestral couple.

Works well for me.

Phil Stokes

I also have a DNA helix icon and coloured box shadow set against DNA Matches who have the GedMatch fact set against them, with a different DNA icon against the boxes of the most recent common ancestor(s). With help from Mike Tate in a recent thread on the FHUG forum, I recently added additional box icons against matches to indicate which "primary test" they match against, e.g. myself, or another family member, or a combination.

I should perhaps also clarify that Jane's GedMatch fact is not just for matches to tests on the GedMatch site. The name of the company hosting the test (Ancestry, LivingDNA etc.) can be entered in the fact note and is displayed along with other information in the result set of the custom query.

I only add icons to individuals specifically matched by DNA tests, or MRCAs. The line between those individuals who have matching tests and the primary testers is easily retrieved using the FH built in "how related" menu item when required, and doesn't otherwise clutter up the diagram unnecessarily.

Phil
I have customised my Property Box to include tick boxes for AncestryDNA | My Heritage | FTDNA FF | Living DNA | FTDNA Y-DNA | GEDmatch. I probably need to add two more for 23andMe and Geneanet. Those ticks indicate that person in my project has either tested with or uploaded to that company.

I use a flag DNA that displays a DNA icon in diagrams indicating that the person has DNA tested.

I also use a flag DNA Proven Relative that is set, in diagrams, to switch on an orange border for people in my project that are proven by DNA testing including those in the line back to the common ancestral couple.

Works well for me.

Vyger

Interesting thread thus far, I must check out Jane's offering and read up some more on FHUG, I'm sure I am missing a trick and do want to present a good method out later in the year.

I apply the DNA helix manually through a record flag to those entered through online match information with details of the quality. Already connected is not a problem and I copied the expressions from DNA chart to my main so these automatically update as can be seen near the end of my video below.

Jackson

On Tue, 21 Jun 2022, 11:56 Phil Stokes, <phil@...> wrote:
[...]

rsamoir@blueyonder.co.uk

I am amazed at the number of people, deeply into family research, who do not seem to use FHUG and its comments before rushing to Mike!

Alastair Moir

On 21 Jun 2022, at 15:02, Vyger <vyger88@...> wrote:

[...]

Alastair, if that was directed at me I will take it squarely on the chin 😁

Btw, was that MIKE-rephone or MIKE Tate?

Everyday a school day

Jackson

On Tue, 21 Jun 2022, 16:40 rsamoir@... via groups.io, <rsamoir=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Sue Herrington

Alastair I don’t believe this group belongs to Mike!

Sent from Mail for Windows

I have customised my Property Box to include tick boxes for AncestryDNA | My Heritage | FTDNA FF | Living DNA | FTDNA Y-DNA | GEDmatch. I probably need to add two more for 23andMe and Geneanet. Those ticks indicate that person in my project has either tested with or uploaded to that company.

I use a flag DNA that displays a DNA icon in diagrams indicating that the person has DNA tested.

I also use a flag DNA Proven Relative that is set, in diagrams, to switch on an orange border for people in my project that are proven by DNA testing including those in the line back to the common ancestral couple.

Works well for me.

rsamoir@blueyonder.co.uk

But he is the guy who provides the sensible answers

Alastair Moir